RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Teresa Weatherspoon goes home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/15/08 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
With her hands in so many different events in the New York basketball scene, one has to wonder if the top players in NYC (e.g., China Crosby) would now consider Louisiana Tech. If Crosby and a few other kids from NYC go there, LaTech will be back in the top 25 in no time.

I don't doubt that she could sell ice in a snowstorm but I think she'd have an easier time attracting NY kids if she were the head coach. However, she does have the trust factor on her side since a lot of kids up here actually know her beyond the basketball sense. But depending on how active she's going to be in recruiting, I'd think the focus would be on not losing as many in-state recruits at the rate they've been going and/or not even considering LaTech.

Now if she was in a situation like Calipari at Memphis where kids didn't have to stay for 4 years and it becomes all about playing for a certain coach, then yeah I could really see that influence making a difference. But right now, I just don't know how many kids from Brooklyn or the Bronx you're going to get to Ruston for 4 long years.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/15/08 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Now if she was in a situation like Calipari at Memphis where kids didn't have to stay for 4 years and it becomes all about playing for a certain coach, then yeah I could really see that influence making a difference. But right now, I just don't know how many kids from Brooklyn or the Bronx you're going to get to Ruston for 4 long years.

It might depend on when she becomes head coach and what assistant coaches she has. She will have to do a group sales pitch...get a bunch of NYC players to come together...but I certainly think that can be done.

Here is the other thing. What if Crosby goes to LaTech from the Class of 2009? Are there 2010 players in NYC who would go there to 1) be coached by Spoon and 2) to play with a quality guard like Crosby?

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/15/08 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
It might depend on when she becomes head coach and what assistant coaches she has. She will have to do a group sales pitch...get a bunch of NYC players to come together...but I certainly think that can be done.

Here is the other thing. What if Crosby goes to LaTech from the Class of 2009? Are there 2010 players in NYC who would go there to 1) be coached by Spoon and 2) to play with a quality guard like Crosby?

A group sale might work. I think more programs in their position should take that approach. Syracuse is a good recent example of all it takes is one, but they've got the Big East advantage and while they're upstate, they're still instate. If this were to work, for 1200 miles difference and those little put put planes, I think Spoon might have to take a David Wingate somewhere in '09 or '10.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/15/08 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
A group sale might work. I think more programs in their position should take that approach. Syracuse is a good recent example of all it takes is one, but they've got the Big East advantage and while they're upstate, they're still instate. If this were to work, for 1200 miles difference and those little put put planes, I think Spoon might have to take a David Wingate somewhere in '09 or '10.

If Spoon gets the head job really soon, look at the 2009 players she could possibly pull in a group sale from the State of New York:

Shenneika Smith
China Crosby
Ieasia Walker

That is a lethal combination of guards and a wing.

timber

PostPosted: 04/15/08 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
If Spoon gets the head job really soon, look at the 2009 players she could possibly pull in a group sale from the State of New York:

Shenneika Smith
China Crosby
Ieasia Walker

That is a lethal combination of guards and a wing.

I think it's a little late in the game to start selling to the 2009 kids.....that'd be a good look though....except I think you throw Crosby and Walker up against a wall and see who sticks...don't need both.

I really like Smith....isn't 'Cuse on her list?

I'd like to see them infiltrate the Texas market....although Griner's gone and Bone's probably going to a major, why not make a push for Nay Carter, Reed or Green if you're going to be bold enough to go after Smith, Crosby and Walker if we're talking about 2009 kids?

PostPosted: 04/15/08 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
I'd like to see them infiltrate the Texas market

Going to be tough with Goestenkors at Texas.

timber

PostPosted: 04/15/08 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
timber wrote:

Can't be more difficult than setting up a caravan from NY to the middle of Louisiana for a WAC program. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/16/08 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
timber wrote:

Can't be more difficult than setting up a caravan from NY to the middle of Louisiana for a WAC program. Laughing

Well when you put it like that... Laughing
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/16/08 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, I think it's a bit of a stretch to think these kids will go to La Tech or even consider a group sales pitch.. Remember, they were like 8 the last time La Tech was in a Final Four and have no concept of the Techsters as a national power. Did they grow up seeing Spoon play in the Garden? Do any of them have family in the south?

I just know that a kid like Crosby, who is looking at Penn State, UVa, Duke, etc., is probably not going to be interested in four years in Ruston.

I think Spoon's first task will be to put a fence around the state of Louisiana, and start going after Arkansas, Texas, Alabama and Mississippi kids. And while she's at it, hit up the Tennessee kids.

NYC seems like a long shot to me, but I would love to see La Tech back on the national scene. (GET OUT OF THE WAC!!!)

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I just know that a kid like Crosby, who is looking at Penn State, UVa, Duke, etc., is probably not going to be interested in four years in Ruston.

Happy Valley and Hooville are not exactly bustling metropolises (metropoli?). La Tech should be able to compete with them on that basis.

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Happy Valley and Hooville are not exactly bustling metropolises (metropoli?). La Tech should be able to compete with them on that basis.

I was just about to say, if China's looking for hustle and bustle, Penn State and UVa are right on par with LaTech. There ain't shit to do at either of them. Confused Laughing
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pennsylvania and Virginia are a lot closer to NYC than Ruston. And academically, both schools offer a lot more.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Cam, I think it's a bit of a stretch to think these kids will go to La Tech or even consider a group sales pitch.. Remember, they were like 8 the last time La Tech was in a Final Four and have no concept of the Techsters as a national power. Did they grow up seeing Spoon play in the Garden? Do any of them have family in the south?

They wouldn't be going to LaTech. They would be going to play for Spoon.

PRballer wrote:

To be fair, there are those on this board who are much more familiar with players like Crosby...

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't mean to insinuate that I know what Crosby wants....I've never even seen her play. I guess I'm trying to figure out how much of an impact Spoon can really have on NYC high school ballers, that's all.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need to win first and convince these kids that Spoon will be there the next 5 years if they think they're getting NY kids.

Why are we stuck on players like Crosby? There are second level players that might not get recruited by a BCS school or might not be guaranteed playing time at one if they are, where Spoon's presence would make a world of a difference. Not only that, but these same ties she has here, she has a lot of other places.

Who is to say they even want to recruit NY kids? Spoon was born and raised in Texas, a bigger recruiting hotbed than NY. If she did want a NY kid or 5, I like her chances as opposed to a lot of other schools. But can we let HER get on campus first?

As far as academics are concerned, unless you're pre-law or pre-med or in a specialized major, it's what you make of it and what your learning style adapts best to. We're not talking about the drop off between Harvard Law and Hostos here.

I still want someone to tell me why Duke is recruiting Crosby anyway. Are they going with a 12 guard roster?
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
We're not talking about the drop off between Harvard Law and Hostos here.

Ouch.

Anyway, NY, Texas, Louisiana, Sisters of the Poor, DeVry, whatever, she's already started selling:

http://knoe.com/mainsport.php

Scroll down.

April 14th Sportscast
(April - 14 - 2008)

Louisiana Tech Legend looking to jumpstart a struggling program
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/08 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
Why are we stuck on players like Crosby?

Because she is an elite point guard and so was Spoon. Only reason why I brought it up.

el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
I still want someone to tell me why Duke is recruiting Crosby anyway. Are they going with a 12 guard roster?

Because McCallie has no idea what she is doing and Crosby is one of the few elite players who has not written Duke off yet.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/16/08 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn. Watching that made me consider shipping my brat off to Tech. The woman could have made a grip off of motivational speaking, selling timeshares and various pyramid schemes if she wanted to. Laughing I was half waiting for her to say life is a game of inches. I believe!

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
Why are we stuck on players like Crosby?

Because she is an elite point guard and so was Spoon. Only reason why I brought it up.

Makes sense. I just think there are kids on that next level down that would be more of the target audience until they get back into the top 25. I think it really just takes finding that kid who wants to build a program. We can talk about the WAC, academics and geography all we want, but the trick to recruiting is finding what makes these kids tick.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/16/08 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
Makes sense. I just think there are kids on that next level down that would be more of the target audience until they get back into the top 25. I think it really just takes finding that kid who wants to build a program. We can talk about the WAC, academics and geography all we want, but the trick to recruiting is finding what makes these kids tick.

Hillsman proved what you could do just by getting a few talented NYC kids...Morrow, Lindsey.

The other thing is Crosby and other 2009 kids wouldn't really be going to LaTech as much as they would be going to play for Spoon. They are certainly familiar with her in the WNBA and her involvement in NYC basketball events. I have to believe she is familiar with them as well.

If she builds the program, the 2011 and 2012 kids will be going to LaTech and to play for Spoon. But right now, you are right...taking a kid that wants to build a program.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/16/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Hillsman proved what you could do just by getting a few talented NYC kids...Morrow, Lindsey.

The other thing is Crosby and other 2009 kids wouldn't really be going to LaTech as much as they would be going to play for Spoon. They are certainly familiar with her in the WNBA and her involvement in NYC basketball events. I have to believe she is familiar with them as well.

If she builds the program, the 2011 and 2012 kids will be going to LaTech and to play for Spoon. But right now, you are right...taking a kid that wants to build a program.

I don't doubt her powers of persuasion. I think a bigger issue is going to be how the Long situation plays itself out. For all of Spoon's virtues he is still the head coach and not by popular vote either, in fact many consider them direct opposites. There must be something there as to why he's not a favorite of fans, recruits or his own staff. That Spoon has pledged to work with him and not deliver the knock out punch is in direct contrast with the belief by some that he won't even make it to opening game next season.

When they finally do make it official, it will be in their best interests to clarify this situation. Either it's theirs or it's hers and if I'm a recruit, I want to know what to make of it if I'm going to play for Spoon as you say.
timber

PostPosted: 04/16/08 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
http://knoe.com/mainsport.php

Scroll down.

April 14th Sportscast
(April - 14 - 2008)

Louisiana Tech Legend looking to jumpstart a struggling program

I hope Donnie Walsh walks into the MSG training facility tomorrow and gives that same speech.

Only his would be, "I'm gonna be in your mansions, I'm gonna be at the club, I'm gonna be at the dealership..."

But if he could emulate the as of 12 midnight part and the what happened last season is over as of now *point to the watch* it's a new day parts.....it'd really be appreciated.

That was good.

*pictures Spoon lurking the aisles of Wal-Mart at 2am and throwing basketballs at her curfew breaking players*

PostPosted: 04/16/08 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
...[snip]...NYC seems like a long shot to me, but I would love to see La Tech back on the national scene. (GET OUT OF THE WAC!!!)

I have often wondered why Louisiana Tech is in the WAC. They are the only school in that conference that is not really considered being in the "west coast" region. And I would think that would save money on travel costs, if they transferred to a more regionally-based conference.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/17/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think being in the WAC was a football decision, IIRC. If they pumped some duckets into the travel budget, maybe travel wouldn't be such a deterrent.

If they're better than being in the WAC, they need to act like it because 9-7 doesn't sound head and shoulders above the rest to me.

Long might want to make sure Spoon's contract isn't backloaded beginning in '09-'10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: