RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Teresa Weatherspoon goes home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/11/08 10:25 pm    ::: Teresa Weatherspoon goes home Reply Reply with quote

Spoon back to Louisiana Tech.

Unofficial but announced in a room full of happy people.

Good night.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/11/08 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assistant coaching position?

FS02

PostPosted: 04/11/08 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a coach?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/11/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's GREAT! La Tech needs to get back on track.

timber

PostPosted: 04/11/08 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought only bad news traveled this fast.

From what I've heard, her and Long had a heart to heart on campus yesterday where Long offered a spot on his vacated coaching staff. She accepted it at the women's basketball banquet a few hours ago where she was the keynote speaker.

There's still a complete hiring process to go through. It's not a done deal.

PostPosted: 04/11/08 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best idea either Tech or Spoon has had in years. Hope it goes through.

I have a friend in that area who is a friend of Spoon's and will be excited to hear this.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/12/08 6:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jimmy Watson's column in the Shreveport Times says it's a done deal! Exclamation

Quote:
Louisiana Tech Hall of Famer and the Lady Techsters last Wade Trophy winner Teresa Weatherspoon has joined coach Chris Long's staff as associate head coach. ...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080412/SPORTS/804120347/1001/SPORTS

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/12/08 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Spoon! Hoping for good things from there...

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/12/08 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her! Maybe that job he had coaching a men's team earlier this year gave her some valuable experience.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/12/08 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see who fills out the staff and how close their ties are to Spoon and/or Barmore. Chris Long may want to update his resume before the honeymoon ends. If the rumors are true, it's a minor hiccup that prevented him from losing the job altogether; the type of hiccup that can be solved in a semester if you know what I mean.
timber

PostPosted: 04/12/08 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As Spoon graciously spoke at the Lady Techsters banquet last night with a nice crowd and program as the backdrop, she suddenly called Chris Long to the podium. Spoon put her arm around him and announced that she was coming home and publicly accepted the position as an assistant for the Lady Techsters. The crowd was instantly excited. The entire audience was exceptionally enthusiastic. This was an important moment in time for the Lady Techsters Program.

http://www.latechreport.com/news.php?id=367

Quote:
"I wouldn't say I've always thought about coaching college, I've just thought about coaching basketball - whether that meant men or women, high school, college or professional," Weatherspoon said. "Where ever the opportunity came, I would take it. It just happens that it came at my university, and there is no better place to coach then where I got my start. It's almost like going full circle."

Weatherspoon's hiring is pending the approval of the State of Louisiana, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System and the Tech Athletics Council.

http://latechsports.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041208aaa.html

PostPosted: 04/13/08 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so I guess this means that her run in Westchester is over? or is she somehow planning on doing both? (not sure if that would even be possible...)

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/13/08 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
so I guess this means that her run in Westchester is over? or is she somehow planning on doing both? (not sure if that would even be possible...)

The run in Westchester was likely over anyway no matter what. I'm sure she got some good experience from it and it wet the whistle a little bit but if that was ever a long term option, she's insane. Her worrying about that would be like worrying about your job at Burger King when someone offers you a gig on Wall Street. You turn in your name tag and keep it moving. The team probably will not even exist next year. The Liberty have a better chance of finding Patty a suit that fits.
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/14/08 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again with the sentimental shit. Laughing

So if I understand this correctly, a guy who a lot of the school's fans would love to see disappear Hoffa style as he has shown no ability to get them back to where they once were in the college basketball landscape and one of the most popular players in school history who doesn't have what anyone would consider a second-fiddle personality are supposed to co-exist?

If I'm understanding all of this, Spoon has been brought in to work her magic in the living rooms of recruits across the country, use her connections and get the Lady Techsters so motivated to ball that they're back on ESPN in March, yet at the end of the day she's going to be the associate head coach? And if she is somehow successful in all of this, her, Barmore, Reneau, Malone, the donors and the fans are just going to all be cool with Long collecting a check as the head coach? Just the semantics of that right off the bat doom this relationship - associate head coach - not assistant - associate head coach.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell Chris Long if he really was 100% behind this. Somehow, given how "overwhelmed" he was at the announcement, I doubt it. Seems to me like a Mailman with a lot of power and influence since he swooped in with an open checkbook got together with a fed up architect of a program who grew tired of watching his once dominant program lose in the damn WAC conference tournament and picked "their guy" while telling the current coach to either get down or lay down.

Congrats to Spoon, but I just don't believe she's going all the way back to Ruston to be copasetic with being a co-star.
MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/14/08 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
Again with the sentimental shit. Laughing

So if I understand this correctly, a guy who a lot of the school's fans would love to see disappear Hoffa style as he has shown no ability to get them back to where they once were in the college basketball landscape and one of the most popular players in school history who doesn't have what anyone would consider a second-fiddle personality are supposed to co-exist?

If I'm understanding all of this, Spoon has been brought in to work her magic in the living rooms of recruits across the country, use her connections and get the Lady Techsters so motivated to ball that they're back on ESPN in March, yet at the end of the day she's going to be the associate head coach? And if she is somehow successful in all of this, her, Barmore, Reneau, Malone, the donors and the fans are just going to all be cool with Long collecting a check as the head coach? Just the semantics of that right off the bat doom this relationship - associate head coach - not assistant - associate head coach.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell Chris Long if he really was 100% behind this. Somehow, given how "overwhelmed" he was at the announcement, I doubt it. Seems to me like a Mailman with a lot of power and influence since he swooped in with an open checkbook got together with a fed up architect of a program who grew tired of watching his once dominant program lose in the damn WAC conference tournament and picked "their guy" while telling the current coach to either get down or lay down.

Congrats to Spoon, but I just don't believe she's going all the way back to Ruston to be copasetic with being a co-star.

Harlem,

DAMN! I just spoke to uh you know who and she basically said the EXACT same thing!

“Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.” ~ Abraham J. Heschel
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/14/08 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:
Harlem,

DAMN! I just spoke to uh you know who and she basically said the EXACT same thing!

I respect Spoon for playing along and not telling homeboy to just give it up right then and there, hell that's the AD's job to fire him anyway and it gives her a year to brush up on the college game and gain some experience. But let's be real. Let's be really, really, all the way real. That shit was pre-ordained in Leon Barmore's dreams years ago, probably 3 seconds after Kim Mulkey took her Mary Kay rep wardrobe to Baylor.

New AD + old buddy Karl - old AD + Leon Barmore + a nice sized check in a familiar place = Spoon at LaTech. Don't give me the sentimental bull. Like I said, Long better get down or lay down because everyone involved is on some Isley Brothers, Let Me Down Easy shit.
MsTena-T

PostPosted: 04/14/08 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
MsTena-T wrote:
Harlem,

I respect Spoon for playing along and not telling homeboy to just give it up right then and there, hell that's the AD's job to fire him anyway and it gives her a year to brush up on the college game and gain some experience. But let's be real. Let's be really, really, all the way real. That shit was pre-ordained in Leon Barmore's dreams years ago, probably 3 seconds after Kim Mulkey took her Mary Kay rep wardrobe to Baylor.

New AD + old buddy Karl - old AD + Leon Barmore + a nice sized check in a familiar place = Spoon at LaTech. Don't give me the sentimental bull. Like I said, Long better get down or lay down because everyone involved is on some Isley Brothers, Let Me Down Easy shit.

You know The Dream pulled that same Okey Doke move on T.Edwards.

“Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.” ~ Abraham J. Heschel
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/14/08 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

La Tech would have an easier to return to prominence if they were back in the Sun Belt or joined Conference USA. Their current league structure isn't working out for them and it's hurting them most in recruiting.

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 04/14/08 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Spoon can overcome Long's coaching and the WAC, they'll name buildings after her. As much as I love the woman and have the utmost confidence in her abilities, that ain't happenin'. I agree with Harlem and Tena on this one. I think it's an opportunity to spread some goodwill and gain some experience on Spoon's part and a shot at respectibility on Tech's part. I'd still be updating my resume if I were Chris Long, but even if Spoon does become head coach, realistically, what are the odds of her staying there and doing Summitt, Landers years? Not very likely IMHO. I'd love for her to prove me wrong though.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/14/08 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

el_barrio_96_125 wrote:
I'd still be updating my resume if I were Chris Long

Why am I hearing Evita in the background? "Hello and goodbye. I've just unemployed you."

Scarab

PostPosted: 04/14/08 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsTena-T wrote:

Really? How so? Do tell.

PostPosted: 04/15/08 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:

Could Barmore himself even get LaTech back to that level?

This isn't the 1980s or 1990s anymore. More programs at bigger conference schools with vastly superior resources (money, facilities etc.) are taking women's basketball seriously. LaTech, a WAC school, can't hope to compete with that, at least not on a consistent basis.

LaTech can certainly be like ODU and win 20-25 games, win its conference, and get a #10-#13 seed in the NCAA Tournament. A couple of times a decade, if they have a good senior-laden team and everything clicks, they could get a #5-#9 seed and win a game or two. But the days of LaTech and ODU getting #1 seeds, being ranked in the top-five and getting to Final Fours or even Elite Eights are over, I'm afraid. There are just too many better-supported programs right now.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/15/08 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
MsTena-T wrote:

Really? How so? Do tell.

Yes, please elaborate on that one...

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 04/15/08 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Could Barmore himself even get LaTech back to that level?

This isn't the 1980s or 1990s anymore. More programs at bigger conference schools with vastly superior resources (money, facilities etc.) are taking women's basketball seriously. LaTech, a WAC school, can't hope to compete with that, at least not on a consistent basis.

LaTech can certainly be like ODU and win 20-25 games, win its conference, and get a #10-#13 seed in the NCAA Tournament. A couple of times a decade, if they have a good senior-laden team and everything clicks, they could get a #5-#9 seed and win a game or two. But the days of LaTech and ODU getting #1 seeds, being ranked in the top-five and getting to Final Fours or even Elite Eights are over, I'm afraid. There are just too many better-supported programs right now.

Be that as it may, I'm sure there are more issues going on down there than fans just being upset that they're not in the Sweet 16 every year anymore. It's the reasons behind them not competing that have people upset. Assistant coaches not getting along with the head coach, players with discipline issues, not compromising with Kim, getting rid of Budke, etc. You don't just fire an entire staff of assistants all willy nilly, for example. You might not win as much or at the level that you used to, but there is still a way to carry on tradition, be competitive and not be an embarassment. LaTech isn't DeVry and they seem to understand this, otherwise there wouldn't have been any point to hiring a new athletic director.

I'm pretty sure people around LaTech, including the people who got together and hatched this plan understand that LaTech plays in the WAC and doesn't traditionally have the financial resources to compete with bigger conferences. Otherwise Karl Malone wouldn't be down there now farting dollars every three days and rebuilding the athletic department. Sure, there are fans there just like there are fans everywhere else (here's looking at you Knicks fans) with a sense of entitlement complaining that their current point guard doesn't slap the floor like Spoon or wear pigtails like Kim and Long doesn't scream like Barmore.

But there are also fans there who rightfully wonder how the hell Louisiana Tech is losing in the second round of the damn WAC. I think the plan here is to stop the bleeding and bring in people who care about the program instead of people who are just thrilled to be competing with WTF University for recruits. I tell you, if St. John's would show a pulse the way LaTech did this weekend, maybe KBA wouldn't be turning my school into Copaigue University at Adelphi or whatever the hell she's doing.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/15/08 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With her hands in so many different events in the New York basketball scene, one has to wonder if the top players in NYC (e.g., China Crosby) would now consider Louisiana Tech. If Crosby and a few other kids from NYC go there, LaTech will be back in the top 25 in no time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: