RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bjork leaving Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/11/08 9:48 pm    ::: Bjork leaving Illinois Reply Reply with quote

Just saw this on the Women's Hoops Blog that junior Lori Bjork is leaving Illinois:

http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/sports_of_all_sorts/2008/04/11/bjork_leaving_illinois

Did you expect this O][K?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/11/08 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw the subject thread, I thought you were referring to the singer Bjork! I'm like, "She's in Illinois? That's a long way from Iceland!" Razz

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/11/08 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was one of the ones that loved Frese. Can't say I'm completely shocked, but I'm still a tad surprised. I figured since she didn't transfer last summer that she'd stay. Oh well. She never fit in our system. Jolette obviously wants to run a defensive, up-tempo style and Bjork is an offensive spot up shooter. Good luck to her, though.

I am excited to hear that Eboni is coming aboard. Sounds like a good signing!

PostPosted: 04/12/08 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
When I saw the subject thread, I thought you were referring to the singer Bjork! I'm like, "She's in Illinois? That's a long way from Iceland!" Razz

Me too. I thought why are they talking about Bjork in here? Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/13/08 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thats kind of a shocker...she played well for them in the b10 tourney and the games I saw she seemed to be having fun playing for Law. Interesting

PostPosted: 04/13/08 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the program, but question....does this player have WNBA potential? If not, why leave to play elsewhere for just one season. I guess she really must not like it there....

Transfers are not that surprising when a new coach comes on board....players may have different expectations, but it does seem odd to transfer out with only one season left.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/13/08 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bjork could have WNBA potential. I mean, she's a good shooter. But she's not a great defender and her handle needs work. I don't think she'll be drafted. Depending on where she goes and how she performs, she may get a training camp invite.

By the way, not sure if this had anything to do with it, but Bjork is VERY smart. From what I heard, she was far ahead of a lot of people in her class. She's been a Academic AA for a couple years ago. Maybe she's transferring partly because she wants to go to grad school now ala Kalika France?

Again, not sure, but that could be part of her reasoning.

PostPosted: 04/14/08 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the player or the program, but reading between the lines...

A third string Big 10 all-conference player doesn't sound like someone likely to play in the WNBA. I suspect she knew that and decided to do what makes her happy. Playing for coach Law apparently wasn't doing it for her.

By the way, it doesn't say she is transferring. She may finish her degree at Illinois, but as a student only.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: