RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why does Parker always look mad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarab

PostPosted: 04/08/08 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taoduck wrote:
Oh, yes. Let's never forget we're ladies out there!!

We can't:
-- sweat too much
-- swear
-- be gutsy
-- dunk
-- show intensity
-- be passionate
-- play TOO hard
-- make comparable pro money to those big, strong mens
-- act in any way to make some nameless, faceless person NOT LIKE US!!

Sweet zombie Jesus, we get it.
You don't like Candace Parker.
Fine.
I think she'll live.

Laughing Love it!

PostPosted: 04/08/08 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBFan23 wrote:
My friend who is a Rebkell junkie showed me this question and I was releaved. So, I'm posting....I thought I was one of the few that found Parker's "post-execution of a skill" antics as stupid, immature and have been very surprised at Coach P. for not nippin' it a couple seasons ago. After she scores or after she blocks a shot, her "showmanship" doesn't add to her stats, team success, etc. Sure no one asks this kind of question about the men, but since when did we sacrifice our bodies and lives to evolve our game was it a goal to become like the men? So as some of you find it necessary to defend her antics and those by DT and too many others, just know there are a number of ones out here like me that find it uplifting and positive to see the reactions or lack thereof from Sylvia Fowles or Wiggins and many others that just let their play do the talking. Act like what shot you just made or block you just sent into the stands is something you've done before. We, the fans, will yell just as loud, support just as much and respect you even more. Blocking shots like she did last year vs. Armitie Price and Co., for example, is a skill....not a reason to stare down. Look at some of the highlight of Parker in h.s. on the net - the smile is there. I just hope she keeps it in check in the Olympics. Best bravado doesn't equate a gold medal and what's the most important?

I could have sworn that I recently, as in this very tourney recently, watched a game in which LSU obviously had the game won and Sylvia gets called for her fifth foul therefore disqualifying her. You know what gracious Syl does, she looks at her bench and repeatedly shrugs her shoulders as if saying "I don't care 'bout no foul. We've won this game". She did it not once, not twice, but about five times. She then threw in a similar facial expression showing the same sentiments... I don't care, we've won this game. I guess that's great sportsmanship and while I'm at it, when the hell has Sylvia ever smiled since we're harping on Parker about it.
And Wiggins.... That girl jumps up and down like a bunny on speed after EVERY good play she makes. I remember once she drove the lane, crashed into another player and they blew the whistle on her for offensive fouling. Well, that cracked out bunny didn't realize it and continued to jump up and down for the next 10 seconds until someone kindly notified her. Of course Wiggins smiles so it makes her antics better. Rolling Eyes

Tennessee plays on tv more than any other team except maybe Uconn and I think UT had more nationally televised games this year than Uconn. Heck all of their games this season except 3 were on somebody's network. And anytime Tennessee is on, the camera is on Parker, whether she's at the scorer's table or on the bench. I'm sure if we could get a broadcast of your day at the job, everyday, and the camera only focused on you the entire time, we'd get to see every nose picking, ass scratching, scowling unflattering pose you had to offer as well.

I have no problem with disliking a player's on-court antics. My problem is with consistency because these SAME people seem to conveniently overlook or forget to mention or downplay the on-court antics of the players they like. And like I said, Parker's face is plastered on the screen more than most players so perhaps you have more opportunity to watch and criticize every non-smiling, scowling detail of her career.

Elizabeth

PostPosted: 04/08/08 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you see Summitt hug Fowles after the game? I thought it was really nice. But I doubt either would have wanted to hug at halftime. And there's nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as she continues to score, I don't care if she makes clown faces after she hits a shot.
shrrew

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

I'll keep this in mind while watching Taurasi this WNBA season, because clearly screaming "THIS IS MY MOTHER#@%*~#* SHOW!" is better than anything Parker does.

Yes it is! I think she should scream it even louder and let the whole world know! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/08/08 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
It's NBA culture-- Parker is imitating her brother and his playmates.

We're not out here participating in a sporting event, we're out here to beat down the other tribe; great plays aren't about great plays, they're about humiliating the other.

Last night, a Memphis player stole the ball and went in for a dunk. When he came down he turned and ran into the Kansas player who had been chasing. That bump appeared inadvertent, but the second shoulder bump and the yell into the Kansas player's face was not. (At that point, I started pulling for Kansas.)

Have you seen Anthony play? Hes is ALOT more even keeled than his lil sis. He really doesnt show any emotion. No attitude at all. Cool

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I don't have a problem with this at all. I mean, my favorite movie of all time is Love & Basketball and Sanaa goes into detaiil toward the beginning of the movie about how guys can show attitude but girls can't.

It's all about competition. I mean, there are so many people that talk trash and say worst things than the faces other players make. Candace is the type where many times, she wants to completely dominate, much like Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan. She doesn't want people to score on her and if they do you better believe that she's going to try to return the favor on that same person as many times as possible. Take for instance that game against LSU, Fowles blocked her shot and then beat her down the floor and scores. It sparked some fire in Candace and she went on her own quick 6-0 run. I'm sure if you asked many of the people she goes up against, they will say it is just a matter of competition. Like luvDhoops said, there are players who scowl and do the exact same thing as Candace, I'm not just addressing other stars in college. Some people show their emotions and others don't.

Once again, I don't have a problem with it as long as you don't cross the line. I believe Bobbit did that earlier this year and Pat got all over her for it. Bobbit also knew she was wrong in doing what she did.
jap

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Folks are complaining about Candy's "faces?" I think We'll have to ask Michael Coop to have CP3 slamdunk all over their team while stylin' and profilin' for the camera! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Folks are complaining about Candy's "faces?" I think We'll have to ask Michael Coop to have CP3 slamdunk all over their team while stylin' and profilin' for the camera! Laughing

They should just line up Mighty Mouse at like 1-2 feet in front of the basket and have Candice and LLL try to dunk over her. And I do mean over as in jump over and dunk. Laughing
Sass

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:

Would ya? That would be great. Very Happy

Man this thread got retarded since I was here last night.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Linzin

PostPosted: 04/08/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
I have no problem with disliking a player's on-court antics. My problem is with consistency because these SAME people seem to conveniently overlook or forget to mention or downplay the on-court antics of the players they like.

Personally, I think it's a matter of personal preference. Not all on-court antics are the same. I don't mind Diana Taurasi at all. Well, okay, sometimes I think she goes a little overboard, but most of the time, I find her to be entertaining. The way she sticks out her tongue or the infamous call me gesture? Pure hilarity. The difference is that Diana Taurasi has attitude but she also has a great sense of humor. She knows how to make fun of herself. Candace Parker doesn't. She takes herself way too seriously, or at least that's my impression. It's not really a logical or objective way of approaching things, but it's just the way I see it. Humor is such a subjective thing anyway. Does this mean I don't respect her as a basketball player? No. I just don't really like her. I think that's okay. Candace Parker doesn't need me to like her; she's a great basketball player anyway. Wink

Bottom line: Maybe we should just agree to disagree? It's an on-court personality. It's got nothing to do with their actual real life personalities, or whether or not players need to be ladylike. I honestly do think that for most people on this board, it's a matter of preference, not prejudice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: