RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Okay, I'm I the only one who thought Burke's comment...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickilz

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Burke knows basketball, unfortunately she is VERY biased PRO UCONN and ANTI Tennessee. IMO, this bias equals terrible announcing of both semi final games. Stanford never got their props during the game yesterday. And every play a Lady Vol was getting away with something per Burke.

So far as her comments about "running the pick and roll until tears come out of Parker's eyes", maybe a poor phrase to use, but I took it as - there is a player less than 100%, she can't stop you if you do this, so DO THIS until they find a way to stop it. I don't think she was advocating to hurt CP.

Burke has been a one woman crusade throughout the tournament saying "Basketball IS a contact sport" and like Nancy Lieberman, the want the refs to NOT call fouls during the tournament "unless blood is drawn". IMO, this does not promote good basketball. I wish ESPN would find someone else to do the big games.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for filling me in vickilz! Not being sarcastic by the way
eclair

PostPosted: 04/07/08 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have you all really never heard "no blood no foul"? It doesn't mean *REAL* blood, it's hyperbole.

As far as the bump her till she cries or whatever, it's basketball. It's a contact sport. It's the language of the game. It's what basketball commentators say.

I swear, women's basketball is never going be treated with equal coverage and respect as the men's game gets if we keep getting our knickers in a knot over our girls not playing nice. Do you want to stay a niche sport or what?

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No...what I prefer to see is a game that allows players with tremendous skills to be able to utilize them and not be neutralized by refs allowing other players to break rules to stop them.

kage

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
No...what I prefer to see is a game that allows players with tremendous skills to be able to utilize them and not be neutralized by refs allowing other players to break rules to stop them.

Since when are screens illegal?
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand her point..and she's right, and it seems like LSU felt that way too.

I think Doris is just blunt. At least what she's saying is right, which is a step above most commentators. Wink

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
Have you all really never heard "no blood no foul"? It doesn't mean *REAL* blood, it's hyperbole.

As far as the bump her till she cries or whatever, it's basketball. It's a contact sport. It's the language of the game. It's what basketball commentators say.

I swear, women's basketball is never going be treated with equal coverage and respect as the men's game gets if we keep getting our knickers in a knot over our girls not playing nice. Do you want to stay a niche sport or what?

Well-stated, eclair. If this were a men's game we were talking about, this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Parker showed last Tuesday that she's as tough or tougher than any male player.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
I thought the "no blood, no foul" remark was made in irony/sarcasm. I don't think Doris ever meant it literally.

As for the "pick and roll until there were tears in her eyes," I was wondering why they weren't doing that when Doris said it. I think any time a player is less than 100%, and they're on the floor, they're a legit target for the other team to exploit their vulnerability. As long as it's done by the rules, I have no problem with it.

I agree, and you know this would not even be an issue if it was a men's game.

Edited to add, can someone tell me why the men's college need a 35 second shot clock? Nothing was on so my partner put on the men's championship game. If the women can do it on 30 seconds then the men should. I asked over there but I think the place is mostly empty.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Doris was just being honest. Maybe she could have expressed it differently, but let's face it, she was a player and a coach. As a player or as a coach, you are pretty much thinking along the lines of what she said about bumping Parker. Right? I mean, would any of you participating as a coach or as a player think differently? I don't see how.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Since when are screens illegal?

Only when they are moving! Wink

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
eclair wrote:

Well-stated, eclair. If this were a men's game we were talking about, this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Parker showed last Tuesday that she's as tough or tougher than any male player.

Only in women's basketball are some of the fans so damn sensitive. You hear this kind of stuff on the men's side. You don't hear commentators for mens games try to use different wording as not to upset the sensitive fans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: