RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

tourney officials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindsey0924

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:23 pm    ::: tourney officials Reply Reply with quote

Unless I am mistaken, I was noticing that Lisa Mattingly hasn't been involved in many, if any at all, tourney games. Seems unusual as she is usually one of the most respected officials. I know she was the subject of such unwelcome discussion following the WNBA Playoff game, but I still would want her on the court when it mattered. Anybody have any info? Certainly hope it is not a health issue.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not see Mattingly at a single Maryland game this season. Last year, she officiated at several.

Has she been working any games this year at all?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I did not see Mattingly at a single Maryland game this season. Last year, she officiated at several.

Has she been working any games this year at all?

A quick Google shows that she reffed games involving UConn and Penn State during the regular season.

I'm still getting over the notion that Tina Napier, who reportedly (according to a reporter, not some RU fan) refused to check the clock at the Tennessee game despite being asked by another official, was in last night's UConn-Stanford game.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 04/07/08 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that she had an injury. Wasn't it in one of the earl Beth and Debbi podcasts?

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 04/07/08 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Mattingly was hurt and missed the season. She was missed. This game has bad officiating of epidemic proportions. They need to start getting the better boys HS refs. To watch a Final Four and see June Courteau on the court is stunning.

swei0009

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
This game has bad officiating of epidemic proportions.

I used to think just the Big Ten had miserable officiating. Then I moved. And I said, well, maybe the Big Sky just has lower-tier officials. But no. It's all of women's basketball. The refs are just plain awful.

Toliver...Holy Cow! wrote:
To watch a Final Four and see June Courteau on the court is stunning.

I just hope it means that since we saw her last night, we won't see her tomorrow!

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is at the point I have no idea what is and isn't a foul. The game has evolved way past the current group. It is too fast and players too big and strong. Virtually every game I shake my head. Even basic concepts like knowing time, score and situation seem beyond the grasp of the majority of the current cast. And it doesn't seem like it is ever raised as an issue.

vickilz

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WCBB and The WNBA need to find a way to improve the officiating. It is horrible. Yes, the players are bigger, faster, stronger, playing at a different level and it seems the officiating has not kept up or grown with the game.

There were a lot of players being pushed and thrown to the floor in both games last night and I don't think I saw any of them called as a foul.

At the rate the game is going, the games at your local schoolyard or park will seem much more civilized than NCAA or WNBA games.

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officials for tomorrow night. Dee, Eric and Denise.

-Tamika Catchings
yaser_ya_betcha

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa had multiple stress fractures in her foot, unfortunately sidelining her midway through the college season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I'm still getting over the notion that Tina Napier, who reportedly (according to a reporter, not some RU fan) refused to check the clock at the Tennessee game despite being asked by another official, was in last night's UConn-Stanford game.

YES. How any ref from that game is allowed anywhere near a tournament game- let alone the Final Fucking Four- boggles the mind. I mean it. My mind is so boggled it looks like a game played with letter cubes.

And of course the clock broke down in the other game.

I'm more amused by the leaks. Think they called Philly for the magic towel that caught leaks for seven hours and never dripped?

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

june c. was officiating Bball when i played at ISU from 1976 - 1980...

she actually gave one of my teammates a technical foul because she said that our player was breathing on the opposing player taking a FT...

ever since that rediculous call, i am amazed that ANYONE would hire her to do even a junior high game...

she is older than dirt and is NOT a good official...couldn't believe she was on a final four game...if that is best the NCAA can do then heaven help us all!

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 04/08/08 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i started a thread on Tina Napier and related issues because I didn't see this one. i think anyone reading this thread would be interested in what i posted over here:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=37623

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: