RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

National championship game: predictions thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of numbers to consider, for whatever they're worth:

Tennessee is 2-0 against Stanford in the NCAA Tournament
1991 Final Four W, 68-60
2004 Elite 8 W, 62-60

Tennessee is 5-2 against the Pac-10 in the NCAA Tournament, 4-0 against teams other than Southern Cal
1982 Elite 8 Beat Southern Cal, 91-90
1984 Championship Lost to Southern Cal, 72-61
1986 Final Four Lost to Southern Cal, 83-59
1991 Final Four Beat Stanford, 68-60
1997 Second Round Beat Oregon, 76-59
2000 Second Round Beat Arizona, 75-60
2004 Elite 8 Beat Stanford, 62-60

shrrew

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PAC10 all the way. I think this is Stanfords year. Vandeever has it going on. The team is on fire and ready to win. They will have to fight for it because Tennessee is tough. Smile

On a related trash talking note (ha), this is joke certain Pac10 fans are passing around:

hssssssssssssssssssssss.... ssssssssssssssssss

What's that sound? Why it's the sound of east code ego being deflated! Someone better issue a pollution alert!

lol
I am sure there is worst stuff.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
A couple of numbers to consider, for whatever they're worth:

Tennessee is 2-0 against Stanford in the NCAA Tournament
1991 Final Four W, 68-60
2004 Elite 8 W, 62-60

Tennessee is 5-2 against the Pac-10 in the NCAA Tournament, 4-0 against teams other than Southern Cal
1982 Elite 8 Beat Southern Cal, 91-90
1984 Championship Lost to Southern Cal, 72-61
1986 Final Four Lost to Southern Cal, 83-59
1991 Final Four Beat Stanford, 68-60
1997 Second Round Beat Oregon, 76-59
2000 Second Round Beat Arizona, 75-60
2004 Elite 8 Beat Stanford, 62-60

Stanford is 2-0 in title games.

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 04/07/08 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat is going to have her girls doing whatever it takes to win. I don't know who is coming in next year but this is probably their last chance to win for a few years. I see UConn back on top next year. I have to go with Tennessee.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
Pat is going to have her girls doing whatever it takes to win. I don't know who is coming in next year but this is probably their last chance to win for a few years. I see UConn back on top next year. I have to go with Tennessee.

Just in case you didn't notice, Tennessee had the top recruiting class for next year. Again. Five of the top twenty-five HS recruits and number six was in the top fifty if memory serves. So I don't think Tennessee will be gone for long.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just meant there returning players are not as good as the ones they are losing. The newcomers might be able to take them there just like Maya Moore. So you could be right.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I started writing a post for this thread, I realized that I had, almost unconsciously, picked Stanford. And as I listed more and more reasons why Stanford would or should win, I became aware of this nagging feeling that none of that would make any difference, because they were playing Tennessee.

And then I realized that I had to confront why I can never bring myself to cheer for UT. It's not like I don't like UT. I have no school ties that would engender a natural animosity; I think the world of their coach; and many UT players have been among my favorites: Catchings, Gwen Jackson, Sidney Spencer, Angie Bjorklund to name just a few. So it was none of that. Then I realized:

Cheering for Tennessee is like cheering for the Republicans.

They're always on the make, looking to survive, advance, and take the loot. They fly first class and enjoy the best accommodations; they make everything seem so effortless. Sometimes a clock malfunctions and they get the best of it. But it's never their fault– they just take what was offered, and leave with the chaos swirling around them while someone else cleans up the mess. You might admire their string of tournament and Sweet 16 appearances, until you realize that for UT, winning is pretty much a foregone conclusion until they get to the Sweet 16– which, like all the rounds prior, have been played on their home floor. Oh, the Lady Vols would tell you that it was hard work that got them all that deserving, but it rings hollow. The University of Tennessee was writing a blank check to Women's Basketball when most other schools were giving lip service and a patronizing smile to the idea of fielding a "girls" team. So when the current crop of UT players talk about all the hard work, it's like listening to the Republican preppie tell how he had to work in his daddy's shirt collar factory for six months before he could take control of his trust fund. Still, there's no denying the success, even if it's success for a small number of people. In the end, we forget the clocks, we forget the elbows and the trash talk, and remember only championship banners as the rich get richer, and the deficit of non-UT champions grows ever higher.

So we hafta root for Stanford, because 2008 is a year of hope and change. And no right-thinking American could do otherwise.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you just write a "Stanford is Obama" post? Shocked Laughing
sbjules

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I realized:

Cheering for Tennessee is like cheering for the Republicans.

Quote:

So we hafta root for Stanford, because 2008 is a year of hope and change. And no right-thinking American could do otherwise.

Atta boy, Bill! Get on the Cardinal train!!

Go Stanford!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Well, you can talk about numbers or matchups or coaches until you're blue in the face and you won't be any closer to the truth. This game is about destiny. Maybe you think Candace Parker is destined to end her career as a champion. It doesn't always happen that way. Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi went out on top, but Chamique Holdsclaw and Cheryl Miller didn't. No, there's something greater at work here. For 10 years Stanford has been a punchline. The #1 seed that lost to a #16. The team that lost to Maine. The best team in a disguised mid-major, the Slac-10. The team with the high ranking that always found a way to come up short in March. Stanfraud. It's time to put an end to all that. Candice Wiggins has come from the wilds of San Diego to put a stake through Allison Feaster's undead heart, and nobody, not even the great Candy P, is going to stop her.

Ace or Ice? Ice, Ice, baby...

Love your avatar, but even if Stanford was to win the game, nothing will wipe out THE HARVARD GAME. And I never considered them a joke.

Go Lady Vols!
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Whomever njjosh picks against will win. Not sure if there's a bigger jinx on this board (outside of pilight, of course Wink ). The game never turns out like he predicts (see Maryland, where the egg is clearly splattered on the face). Since he's picked against Stanford for what...three straight rounds, why wouldn't Stanford win?

LOL. I was thinking the same thing! NJjosh is the Debbie Antonelli for Stanford. Keep picking against us baby. Stanford is the underdog, all pressure on TN. We play better TEAM ball. Stanford by 5.

alaskacard

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This Stanford team is on a mission, and peaking at the perfect time. They are playing true team basketball and have teriffic team chemistry. They are scoring like crazy and working together super well. OK, I'm totally biased, but this team has "champions" written all over them. You can see it in their attitudes. They have screamed through the tournament.

Tennessee is, well, I don't know what they are doing, exactly. They're not working together super well, or shooting well, and their star is injured. They have a lot of talent, but they are kind of limping through the tourney. That Tenn-LSU game was UGLY.

We beat Tennessee in December when CP had two shoulders to use -- and this Stanford team is much, much, much better now than they were back then. (If you haven't followed the team, just look at the Uconn game comparison stats and you can see the incredible improvement.) I am not sure this Tenn team is better than they were in Dec. Honestly I think they are worse.

Nobody is going to stop Stanford at this point. Certainly not a team that is not working together well and putting on thier A game.

Stanford by 11.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 04/07/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also thought Stanford was gonna knock UConn out of it. So I am going to stay true to my conference and say.. Stanford 79 - Tennessee 72 (of course that would require them to score)

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Well, you can talk about numbers or matchups or coaches until you're blue in the face and you won't be any closer to the truth. This game is about destiny. Maybe you think Candace Parker is destined to end her career as a champion. It doesn't always happen that way. Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi went out on top, but Chamique Holdsclaw and Cheryl Miller didn't. No, there's something greater at work here. For 10 years Stanford has been a punchline. The #1 seed that lost to a #16. The team that lost to Maine. The best team in a disguised mid-major, the Slac-10. The team with the high ranking that always found a way to come up short in March. Stanfraud. It's time to put an end to all that. Candice Wiggins has come from the wilds of San Diego to put a stake through Allison Feaster's undead heart, and nobody, not even the great Candy P, is going to stop her.

Ace or Ice? Ice, Ice, baby...

X______________________

dang. I know we're going to win now that Pilight has picked us.

Whoa! Well said.

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee by 8

CP3 is going to have a field day on the inside and Hornbuckle will contain Wiggy. Bobbit should do well too. Stanford is no where near the defensive team LSU is so expect this game to be higher scoring.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
pilight was 2/2 in the Final Four Shocked

Laughing I know. I was really thinking about those E8 predictions.

That said, I'm glad he's picking Stanford. Don't think his "powers" have an effect on a team of destiny.

Mathies to LA 2013
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as i said in another thread, i know stanford is the better team playing better..but, so what?

horn on wiggy; nicky on pedersen; parker vs appel.

the deficiencies in the uconn defense- midgets on the perimeter, stupidity, too few bodies- won't be there for stanford to exploit.

geno said of stan- "you have to play them fullcourt. we couldn't do it this time". well, tenn has the bodies, and other than snobbitt, they're BIG bodies. look for the tenn press to slow down the stan offense somewhat.

i'm hoping for a (gag) stanford win, i know they should win, but unless knight geno is there to slay the fire-breathing orange dragon, she usually wins the day, much to the chagrin of her kingdom.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford-vs-Tennessee: Scholars-vs-Hillbillies. Go Cardinal!

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow this thread is getting ugly fast!! I already made my pick and I'm standing by it. That whole scholars vs hillbilles remark was simply uncalled for. We don't need any of that. Please just stop.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
Wow this thread is getting ugly fast!! I already made my pick and I'm standing by it. That whole scholars vs hillbilles remark was simply uncalled for. We don't need any of that. Please just stop.

I expect nothing better from fuzzball.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pulling for my Lady Vols and really want to see CP3 go out on top. Still would not be devasted to see a Stanford win.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
as i said in another thread, i know stanford is the better team playing better..but, so what?

horn on wiggy; nicky on pedersen; parker vs appel.

the deficiencies in the uconn defense- midgets on the perimeter, stupidity, too few bodies- won't be there for stanford to exploit.

geno said of stan- "you have to play them fullcourt. we couldn't do it this time". well, tenn has the bodies, and other than snobbitt, they're BIG bodies. look for the tenn press to slow down the stan offense somewhat.

i'm hoping for a (gag) stanford win, i know they should win, but unless knight geno is there to slay the fire-breathing orange dragon, she usually wins the day, much to the chagrin of her kingdom.

I agree with some of your points Cth, with the exception Pedersen and Appel both did well in Dec. game and held Anosike to 5 pts. Appel has averaged 20 pts and 12 boards in her 2 games vs. TN. Also, we held Bjorkland scoreless. It was one of our best defensive games ever. Im sure Tara will have a game plan, just gotta execute- that means taking care of the ball, hit FTs and BOARD.

Hones only played 9 min in Dec. so we're a different team now- as UConn saw.

We managed Bobbit pretty well too, but Hornbuckle had 15. She is a tough match-up for Wiggins because of her bulk and street ball mentality. Wiggins has to keep her head and play our style of game vs. maul ball.

Last edited by hoopfan24 on 04/07/08 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't expect tomorrow's game to be anything like the game in December. I believe UT had a nice lead in that one and let it slip away, I don't expect them to do that in a National Championship game. Tomorrow should be interesting...
SORF

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hones only played 9 min in Dec. so we're a different team now- as UConn saw.

it's not as if the uconn staff didn't know about the "different" stanford. nobody was surprised. i heard geno, dailey, and local TV/radio sports guys speak to the issue.

w/all the tribute paid to uconn re: that first game by tara and her players, i expect geno et al will receive some sort of thank you gift from the cardinalS should they prevail tomorrow night.

Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: