RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

National championship game: predictions thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:48 pm    ::: National championship game: predictions thread Reply Reply with quote

Pick one, please:

A. If Stanford executes on Tuesday as well as they executed on Sunday against UConn, the Cardinal will be unbeatable. Not to mention fun to watch. Against a Lady Vols team with sometimes iffy first-half execution, and a CP3 who can't make outside shots, Stanford should win 81-66.

B. UConn were undermanned and psyched-out, and didn't crash the boards. As Geno pointed out, the best way for an elite team to beat Stanford is to run back and forth and create one-on-one playground ball for 40 minutes, which a Huskies team that brings at most one effective guard off the bench wasn't able to do. Tennessee, who are fairly deep, can and will do it: they should dominate every facet of a fast-paced, sloppy game. The Lady Vols win 73-62.

Either of these claims make sense to you? (Before you invoke the previous matchup as evidence, remember that it took place at Stanford, and take a look at the free throw disparity. I'm not saying it wasn't fair, just saying it's unlikely to happen again.)

kage

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I already picked against Stanford in the UConn game and look how that turned out. I think they're going to win with great shooting. They're on a huge momentum builder and I think they're actually getting -better- as the tournament goes on.
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford, by double figures.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
jap

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I need Alexis and Auguste to step their offensive games up big time to help CP3 out. Nicki will get her share in the paint. Shannon's contributions from outside were good enough tonight. Alexis may have to chase Candice all night long on defense. Cool

Last edited by jap on 04/06/08 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
njjosh

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hunch is Tennessee finds a way. If Appel was getting winded running with Tina Charles, what's going to happen to her against Anosike and the up and down game Tennessee can play?

Stanford will turn the ball over a few too many times against the pressure and give up too many offensive rebounds. Tennessee by 8, 72-64.

Big key will obviously be how Tennessee is able to recover from this game physically and emotionally. I've got to think they will.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
My hunch is Tennessee finds a way. If Appel was getting winded running with Tina Charles, what's going to happen to her against Anosike and the up and down game Tennessee can play?

yeah, i don't know what's with jayne being winded so early into these last two games. in the game against maryland, tara even asked her if she was tired and needed to come out. but jill harmon was up to the task in both games. as doris burke says, 'she's the x factor'.

kayla pederson needs to continue her big time play. that's the thing about stanford though, they have a team of supporting players who don't feel just like window dressing for the star.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm picking my lady vols... obviously!! Laughing

I think boards are gonna be huge. Stanford did a terrible job of boxing out against UConn and with Nicky and Candace down low there is no way they're gonna be able to continually get away with that.

Also, the offense runs through Candace which is completely different than how Uconn uses Maya. I think Candace is going to have a much better shooting night than what she had against LSU.

If you look at the surronding cast, UT has the edge but Stanford showed that they are fearless. Which ever team has 2 or 3 players step up, is going to have a very good shot at winning.

Should be a good game. Let's see if Stanford can beat UT one more time, or if UT will get their revenge and another title...
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lady Vols by a million.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
I think boards are gonna be huge. Stanford did a terrible job of boxing out against UConn and with Nicky and Candace down low there is no way they're gonna be able to continually get away with that.

Really? A terrible job? Stanford matched UConn on O boards (11 to 11) and won the overall rebounding battle 43-37. Candice had 13 rebounds. That's a terrible job??

kage

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
flojojr2007 wrote:

Really? A terrible job? Stanford matched UConn on O boards (11 to 11) and won the overall rebounding battle 43-37. Candice had 13 rebounds. That's a terrible job??

That was my reaction too... They actually block out really well from what I saw.
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
flojojr2007 wrote:

I'm sorry but they definitely got quite a few of those rebounds in the last 2 or 3 minutes when Uconn was just jacking up 3s. There were definitely numerous times in which Stanford just wasn't boxing out. Because they weren't doing a good job, Uconn was able to keep the ball alive and give themselves a chance at loose balls. Idk maybe I was watching a different game but it definitely seemed like they weren't boxing out, especially in he 1st half. Great win for them though and I'm sure Candice feels like she's on cloud 9! lol
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed Candice rebounding early on (or so I thought) and said something to my friend who was watching the game with me.....seemed pretty much throughout. You could tell she wasn't gonna let the game get away.....

Harmon also was a fighter out there....

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
I noticed Candice rebounding early on (or so I thought) and said something to my friend who was watching the game with me.....seemed pretty much throughout. You could tell she wasn't gonna let the game get away.....

Harmon also was a fighter out there....

Is it possible to have co-players of the game!? Laughing I thought Harmon was huge off the bench!
BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/07/08 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford is a moving train. Tenn had better get out of the way.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whomever njjosh picks against will win. Not sure if there's a bigger jinx on this board (outside of pilight, of course Wink ). The game never turns out like he predicts (see Maryland, where the egg is clearly splattered on the face). Since he's picked against Stanford for what...three straight rounds, why wouldn't Stanford win?

Mathies to LA 2013
SuziQ

PostPosted: 04/07/08 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Stanford is a moving train. Tenn had better get out of the way.

X______________________________

PostPosted: 04/07/08 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford will win.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Stanford was boxing out OK but-- as others have said-- UConn made it easy for Stanford to rebound by taking so many, many quick outside shots, especially in the first half. (Aaargh.) I'm really surprised that UConn had as many O-boards as Stanford. I don't think Tennessee is going to do that, and I do think Tennessee has more stamina than anyone on the Cardinal except Wiggins.

I also wonder whether Tennessee has gotten their "one bad game" out of their system.

If it's a free-flowing, fast-paced, run-up-and-down game with few fouls called, I have trouble seeing how Stanford can win it.

If Stanford can control the pace, on the other hand, it should be a fun evening-- the kind of game that's even more fun to watch if you don't much care who wins.

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VOLS ALL THE WAY!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Tennessee to win at the beginning of the tournament and I will continue to pick them to win.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you can talk about numbers or matchups or coaches until you're blue in the face and you won't be any closer to the truth. This game is about destiny. Maybe you think Candace Parker is destined to end her career as a champion. It doesn't always happen that way. Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi went out on top, but Chamique Holdsclaw and Cheryl Miller didn't. No, there's something greater at work here. For 10 years Stanford has been a punchline. The #1 seed that lost to a #16. The team that lost to Maine. The best team in a disguised mid-major, the Slac-10. The team with the high ranking that always found a way to come up short in March. Stanfraud. It's time to put an end to all that. Candice Wiggins has come from the wilds of San Diego to put a stake through Allison Feaster's undead heart, and nobody, not even the great Candy P, is going to stop her.

Ace or Ice? Ice, Ice, baby...

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Not sure if there's a bigger jinx on this board (outside of pilight, of course Wink ).

pilight was 2/2 in the Final Four Shocked

Anyway, since Stanford is now officially a TEAM OF DESTINY, I guess they're just going to have to live up to it... Wink
HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/07/08 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford pushes to continue its road to destiny.

I think it is going to be a lower scoring game. Parker may not score 20, but will be everywhere on defense.

Vols will try and tire Stanford out, pushing them into foul trouble. However, I don't think Vols are going to have a great shooting night.

If Vols push and tire Stanford, I think Vols 55-52.

Yet, even if Stanford does get in foul trouble and Wiggins gets on a roll, Stanford 62-53.

If Stanford wins, Wiggins MVP and maybe she goes #2 in draft (a bit of a reach but she has been outstanding in these big games)

www.barnstormingamerica.net
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/07/08 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think CP is 100% and that also has to hurt Tenn's chances dontcha think?

I think Stanford will play smart and play their tempo....advantage Stanford.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/07/08 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Well, you can talk about numbers or matchups or coaches until you're blue in the face and you won't be any closer to the truth. This game is about destiny. Maybe you think Candace Parker is destined to end her career as a champion. It doesn't always happen that way. Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi went out on top, but Chamique Holdsclaw and Cheryl Miller didn't. No, there's something greater at work here. For 10 years Stanford has been a punchline. The #1 seed that lost to a #16. The team that lost to Maine. The best team in a disguised mid-major, the Slac-10. The team with the high ranking that always found a way to come up short in March. Stanfraud. It's time to put an end to all that. Candice Wiggins has come from the wilds of San Diego to put a stake through Allison Feaster's undead heart, and nobody, not even the great Candy P, is going to stop her.

Ace or Ice? Ice, Ice, baby...

X________________________________

I don't know if you were being a bit facetious with this (since you've been kind of hard on Stanford IIRC), but I totally agree.

Bottom line, Tennessee has not played one good game this whole tournament no matter who the opponent (IMO). Not even when Parker was 100%. They just have not looked good. Maybe my memory is short circuiting on the early rounds, but certainly not from the Sweet 16 on. Stanford is just playing out of their minds. They have gotten better and better as the tourney has rolled on. I think Wiggy finishes what she started and caps off her career with the one thing that has eluded her. Sometimes you just gotta go with it. GO STANFORD! Very Happy

- Diana Taurasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: