RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Final Four questions thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:09 am    ::: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

Wanted to see what others thought about this year's FF (without the predictions). The questions are in bold.

Was this Final Four expected?

I'd say so. Each team is led by a first-team All-American/NPOY candidate. Even the men's tournament can't say that (KU doesn't have a NPOY candidate or a first-team AA).

Who is the hottest player entering this year's Final Four?

Cand...ice Wiggins. It's true. Two forty-point games pretty much sealed the deal in my mind.

Who is the best post player in the Final Four?

Parker. If you have to ask, you're really behind the eight ball. Wink

Who is the best point guard in the Final Four?

Erica White. She makes buckets (and doesn't take a bunch of stupid three-point shots), takes care of the ball, and defends better than the other three guards at her position. Surprisingly (or not), I strongly considered JJ Hones here.

Which team has the best bench?

Shocked Honestly, I have no idea. I'll go with UConn because of Houston and Charles/Hunter. They better hope their guards don't get into foul trouble, though.

Who is the best coach in the FF?

Overall? Summitt. With a championship on the line? Auriemma.

Do you miss not having an ACC representative in the FF this year?

Nope...not at all. I'd prefer not to hear from Debbie again until October. Very Happy

Mathies to LA 2013
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:30 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

I don't know, perhaps UNC instead of LSU? But I do think the four best players in WCBB made it to the final four, which is exciting and I guess..means the teams should be there.

Candice Wiggins...is there really a question there.

A healthy Parker. If she's still only playing with one arm, I've gotta go with Fowles.

Swanier. I've been saying Swanier's the best Uconn point guard for two years now. This year, she's made big baskets, made the right plays..and oh yeah, pretty much won the final 8 game for Uconn. If she's not the best point guard, period..she's certainly playing the best.

Boy, everyone's bare. I mean, Uconn's a little unfair, because are Tina and Houston really the "bench" or is it Kailli and Brittany? Because despite starting..typically Houston and Charles (or at least Charles will get the most minutes) Tennessee I think is the most talanted, but they are even more inconsistant than Uconn's bench.

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this one, but Van has won WNBA championships, and Olympic medals. I think when he has a talanted team, he's one of the best women's coaches. People think that's easy, to get a group of talanted individuals to play well, and to play as a team. It's not. And Van excells at it. However, I think Auriemma has proven, in a huge, meaningful game..he's rarely outcoached.

Nope, although I kind of like a few ACC players. (Waner and Toliver..for example...although I prefer Candice over Toliver so....)

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY. I had these four teams in it when I made my bracket a few weeks ago... UConn and Tenn were obvious selections and LSU playing at home along with Stanford playing a Maryland team who hates the thought of defense made it seem easy to determine winners.

Wiggy, no doubt. She is en fuego.

MAYA MOORE. Yeah, she sucked vs. Rutgers. But she does things on the court that I can only dream of... In all honesty, I would say Parker, but is she REALLY 100%?

Ketia Swanier. Maybe just a little bit of homerism Laughing My advice to her would be don't pass the ball to shot-hog Renee though.

I'm going to go with UConn because of Charde and Tina. Stanford doesn't really have much to offer (Harmon), LSU has ONE good player in Hightower and Williams who gives the posts breathers. I would say/really want to say Tenn, but... Only if Pat played Fuller and Baugh more, and especially now since they bring Bjorklund off the pine.

Pat. But if Geno gets to the NC game, forget about it. Lights out.

No thank you.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/06/08 5:11 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

I picked this FF when the brackets came out, but I was still a little surprised at the way the E8 games played out. 50 points for UNC vs. LSU? 98 points for Stanford vs. MD? 7 points for Maya Moore and UConn wins? Can't say I expected any of those circumstances.

Candice Wiggins, and you don't have to know I'm a Stanford fan to know my answer to that question. Very Happy

Parker--when healthy. After that, Fowles, closely followed by Appel.

I'd like to be a homer here and say J.J. Hones, but Erica White is really something.

I say UConn because of their post depth. But Stanford's Pohlen and Harmon are smart players who don't make many stupid mistakes and do a lot of little things right, so the Cardinal come in second. Plus, Stanford does have Morgan plus a couple of extra guards if they absolutely HAVE to sit a starter due to foul trouble. 11 healthy players is something, even if all of them aren't ready for the big stage.

Summitt, but VanDerveer might be the best at 2nd half adjustments.

Not one bit. I can't stand Debbie either.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/06/08 8:38 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

This is also the Final Four I came up with based upon the bracket. I do think there is something to be said for the fact that the four best representatives for the women's game today - Fowles, Moore, Parker, and Wiggins - have all pushed their team to the Final Four.

Wiggins, and I'm loving all of the press she is getting. Her story is being told, and she is a product who delivers. Here's hoping for two more special deliveries from Wiggins to the basketball world.

I think we really have some WNBA caliber posts here. Parker, Anosike, Fowles, Charles, McClaren, Houston, Appel, and Pederson all will probably get at least a SHOT at a WNBA team after their college career is over.

Because the question says "in the Final Four" I am going to go with Sylvia Fowles. I am concerned about Parker's shoulder. Against Stanford or UConn, I think Tenn could afford to just make the game ugly to keep it competitive and try to let Candace take over for the final few minutes, but LSU is totally willing to play an ugly game and they have two role player posts who can spend time banging on Parker's shoulder. LSU and Fowles get a decided advantage here.

White, followed by Hones, who as a senior should be better than White.

I'll take this question in the direction of, who has the bench player most likely to make an impact, and that answer is Tenn or Conn. Houston and Bjorklund are the players off the bench most likely to come in and make waves.

I stick strong by the Stanford bench though as Pohlen and Harmon play a pivotal role with having a little versatility and the ability to sustain the offense while they are in the game. I don't know why I recently read that Harmon's best facet is her offense though, as she's really more of a rebounder and hustle-play sort of gal. I thought that was a weird read but I forgot where I saw it.

Can't argue with Geno's ability to get it done in the Final Four, but I prefer to look at things under the microscope of this year. That still has Geno pretty damned high on the list, but agree with the assertion that Tara has been masterful at making adjustments at the half. The Cardinal always comes out a better, smarter, more efficiently executing squad in the second half.

I could always use a little Duke in the FF, but if not them, I'm over it.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 8:54 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

I had it in my bracket, so the answer must be "no."

I guess I would say that, like most everyone else, I figured there were 7 teams with legitimate shots. All things being equal, the two #2 seeds were the most likely of the #2s to get to the FF.

Candice Wiggins. It seems pretty obvious.

It also probably doesn't matter.

No knock on UConn, but it's nobody from there. I'd have to go with Parker, then Fowles.

Not sure.

Not UConn, again. I'm kind of thinking Tennessee here just because of the total depth.

Summitt, although you could make a good argument for Geno. That's not to say the others are chopped liver, but the comparison is pretty clear.

Uh, no. Why do you ask? I do kind of miss GG being here, though.

And now I'm off to play in Tampa before the games. (I may try to post from my Treo from the arena. We'll see if that works.)

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/08 9:09 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

It's not unexpected. I don't think anyone is shocked at these four teams making it.

Candace Parker has light skin and caucasian features.....oh, you mean the other hot.

Wiggins is the obvious choice, and with good reason.

Fowles is the best at playing in the post. Parker's a better player overall, but it's largely because she can do so many other things besides just banging down low.

Quick, who's the only UConn player to score in double digits in all four tournament games? That's right, it's Renee Montgomery. Her numbers in the tournament haven't really been that good, but she's made the clutch lays and kept her team together when their star had an off night against Rutgers.

Tennessee has the most reliable bench. UConn has the most potentially explosive one.

Tough call. Three of the four have multiple national championships. Van the Man doesn't, but he's a much, much better coach now than he was before his WNBA stint. I'm going to go with Summitt.

Not a bit. The ACC had a down year. Besides, we get the four best players in the country in the F4, each on a different team. That doesn't happen very often.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:36 am    ::: Re: Final Four questions thread Reply Reply with quote

For me, it was 75% sure. As for the MD/Stanford thing, I kind of flipped a coin and went with the #1 seed.

Candice Wiggins. Back-to-back 40+ games would be difficult against any two opponents, but in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight? Sheesh.

Fowles. Some folks have said Parker or Moore, but I don't really consider them post players. And how about some love for Jayne Appel?

I don't really know from point guards, but Swanier is the one I recall hitting some clutch free throws, and White hit a trey that sent UNC home.

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say Stanford. Tara shuttles her players in and out with least impact on overall effectiveness.

Van Chancellor, without taking anything away from three other most excellent coaches. But I think Van has the best ability to extemporize when the game is on the line, and get his players to execute what he draws up.

Only in the sense that I picked a particular ACC team to advance, if they had, my bracket would be intact. Aside from that, I'm happy and interested in the four that are there.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins did not have back to back 40 point games.

44 points against UTEP in the round of 32.

41 points against Maryland in the Elite Eight.

Sandwhiched in between was 14 (I think) against Pitt. (thankin you Jayne Appel and Ros)

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say yes. When I created my bracket. I thought that UConn, Stanford, and Tennessee were locks to make it out of their brackets, and that it was a toss up between LSU and UNC.

Who's the hottest player entering this year's Final Four?

No question, Wiggins.

Fowles. The best OVERALL player is Parker, but Fowles is a true post.

Renee Montgomery. She's been the consistent player for UConn, and an excellent point guard, especially defensively. She and Ketia is what makes UConn go.

UConn's bench is rather deep, with Charde Houston and Tina Charles coming off the bench. Either, especially Houston, can explode and do well.

Overall, Pat Summit. However, I do agree with bballfan, Geno is the best when it comes down to winning a title.

No. Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: