RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jeff Jacobs: Summit needs to address ending of UConn series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koopster

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
UConn-TN isn't just the premier women's basketball rivalry. It is basically the ONLY one. Other rivalries are based on those from other sports; UConn-TN is a WCBB-specific rivalry for which there is nothing similar.

Interesting observation. I'm tried to come up with a sport-specific rivalry in football or men's basketball that's anywhere close to UConn-Tenn in women's basketball. I don't think there is one. Notre Dame-Southern Cal might have reached that level of intensity in football if they'd both been Top 10 or better every year.

But if UConn-Tenn is indeed one-of-a-kind, your observation is leading me to a different conclusion: That it may be the sign of an immature sport to have one rivalry matter so much and, therefore, not a bad thing to have it over as an every-year event.

For one thing, the media attention probably contributed to one of those two programs collecting the National Player of the Year just about every year.

I suppose it depends what you actually mean by rivalry. If you mean two programs that have dominated the game for the past 10 or so years you might be on to something. It has been interesting to watch, but really is just a blip on the radar. If you are actually talking about a true rivalry... as the definition states...Tennessee and Uconn cannot hold a candle to the history that literally involves generations of families and multiple teams. I respect the Uconn/Tenn rivalry, but to say you struggle to find a football or men's basketball rivalry as big is quite a stretch to me... at least as I perceive what a rivalry is.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 04/07/08 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! There is so much here. First off, notice that the biggest complaints are coming from the Connecticut side of the discussion. It seems that this is a much bigger deal to one side than the other. Way back when the story first broke about the game being cancelled, I said that it was much more important to UConn than to Tennessee, and I think that statement has been validated.

Now as to the reason, there can be a host of reasons that neither side really wants to see be publicly discussed. Supposing Pat told Geno that she is cancelling the series because of what he said to one of the Tennessee guards (was it Lori Moore?) at the end of one of their regular season games. Whoever it was went to Geno after the game while the teams were shaking hands and put her finger in his face and said something to him. Now, it has never been publicly discussed what Geno said, or what the TN player heard, or what she told him. She did tell Pat what was said. But again, just suppose it was some vile remark about her race or sexual orientation (I'm just making this part up). Now that is not something you might want to air, no matter which side you are on.

And Geno is certainly not above using this whole incident to his advantage. He may (read that probably) knows exactly what this is about. But, by putting it back on Pat, "Oh poor me. She probably just doesn't like me. Isn't she petty?" He gets all kinds of mileage out of that. "She is so unfair. She doesn't care about the sport. She's taking away the one game in the year that everybody wants to watch. I am the victim here."

My advice to Geno, and this clown of a sportswriter who thinks he is owed an expalanation, and to all of you who care about the game of women's basketball, is to get over it. All your whining and complaining isn't going to bring it back. An apology for whatever beef Pat has against Geno might help. But Pat is under no obligation to explain herself to anyone other than Geno himself. And she says she has done that. As far as I am concerned the ball is in Geno's court and has been for some time now.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
Wow! There is so much here. First off, notice that the biggest complaints are coming from the Connecticut side of the discussion. It seems that this is a much bigger deal to one side than the other. Way back when the story first broke about the game being cancelled, I said that it was much more important to UConn than to Tennessee, and I think that statement has been validated.

Uconn fans wouldnt' care anymore if their coach and players weren't being dragged into the dirt because Pat won't talk.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well... Seems to me that Tennessee did their part last night to set up The Game for tomorrow. UConn just couldn't get past Stanford.

sunnydeefan3

PostPosted: 04/07/08 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
mabell3368 wrote:

Uconn fans wouldnt' care anymore if their coach and players weren't being dragged into the dirt because Pat won't talk.

exactly. no matter what happened, players like maya are getting talked about negatively and the rumors just keep building up. if they're proved to be true, that's one thing, but if this just keeps up and the finger pointing increases with no resolution, nothing is being accomplished and the pressure just builds.

"Taurasi has boundless energy and is still -- even during the national anthem, she is bouncing side-to-side. She frowned when informed that she was actually a calming influence with her words. "I say it in a fiery way, though," the Phoenix Mercury guard said."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/21/AR2008082103333.html

"If there ain't basketball in heaven, then I ain't going." - Diana Taurasi

It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts. " - John Wooden

Phoenix Mercury 2007 WNBA Champions
vickilz

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:

Now as to the reason, there can be a host of reasons that neither side really wants to see be publicly discussed. Supposing Pat told Geno that she is cancelling the series because of what he said to one of the Tennessee guards (was it Lori Moore?) at the end of one of their regular season games. Whoever it was went to Geno after the game while the teams were shaking hands and put her finger in his face and said something to him. Now, it has never been publicly discussed what Geno said, or what the TN player heard, or what she told him. She did tell Pat what was said. But again, just suppose it was some vile remark about her race or sexual orientation (I'm just making this part up). Now that is not something you might want to air, no matter which side you are on.

And Geno is certainly not above using this whole incident to his advantage. He may (read that probably) knows exactly what this is about. But, by putting it back on Pat, "Oh poor me. She probably just doesn't like me. Isn't she petty?" He gets all kinds of mileage out of that. "She is so unfair. She doesn't care about the sport. She's taking away the one game in the year that everybody wants to watch. I am the victim here."

My advice to Geno, and this clown of a sportswriter who thinks he is owed an expalanation, and to all of you who care about the game of women's basketball, is to get over it. All your whining and complaining isn't going to bring it back. An apology for whatever beef Pat has against Geno might help. But Pat is under no obligation to explain herself to anyone other than Geno himself. And she says she has done that. As far as I am concerned the ball is in Geno's court and has been for some time now.

GREAT POST!!!!

If Geno would stop giving soundbites to the press, the press would stop persuing it and this would drop off everyones radar. His remarks are being used by the press to keep this alive. LET IT GO! IT IS A NON-STORY!

A lot of programs have developed since the beginning of the UCONN-Tennessee series. Let the networks showcase some of the other matchups. think the networks are underestimating the fanbase that women's b-ball has. The interest of "the casual fan" will be there IF they hype and promote other games the same way they did the Pat & Geno show.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/08 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pat can do as she pleases.

the way she's handled herself in this situation clearly shows her to be a vindictive bitch.

can't say i'm surprised.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pat can do as she pleases.

the way she's handled herself in this situation clearly shows her to be a vindictive bitch.

can't say i'm surprised.

And Geno has shown himself to be a manipulative weasel. You and I don't know what the feud is about. Pat and Geno do. Pat isn't talking and Geno fans the flames. I'd say they deserve each other.

Note to UConn fans: Nobody is casting dispersions on Maya. She is not at fault. Quit bringing out the guilt trip. It's not about Maya's conduct. This is about Geno. Maya is a super talent and an outstanding individual. I wish her only the best.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Whether he is or not is another matter. She says he knows why, he says he doesn't. Who should come forward? Probably the person who made the decision to end the series...

I agree that this is key.

I haven't seen a clear statement from Geno denying that Pat gave him specific reasons. All I've seen is what I interpret as a dodge--his "why doesn't she just come out and say she hates my guts" shtick.

Has he ever clearly said that she didn't give him specific reasons (something like, "She didn't tell me why in any specific way.")?

I just haven't seen anything that clear-cut from him.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
First off, notice that the biggest complaints are coming from the Connecticut side of the discussion. It seems that this is a much bigger deal to one side than the other.

Umm, gee, I wonder why one side is more vocal than the other.
Nope, I can't think of any logical explanation that the UConn people are voicing their anger at Pat and the Tenn people are not voicing their anger at Pat Laughing

Mabell3368, do you honestly think the complaints would be coming from the same direction if the situation had been reversed?

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Umm, gee, I wonder why one side is more vocal than the other.
Nope, I can't think of any logical explanation that the UConn people are voicing their anger at Pat and the Tenn people are not voicing their anger at Pat Laughing

Mabell3368, do you honestly think the complaints would be coming from the same direction if the situation had been reversed?

That is a fair question. I don't know how I would respond. I like to think I would still feel that the sport is bigger than one ball game. But, I can't be sure.

I feel like I need to clarify. What I meant by my statement that one side seems to be complaining a lot more than the other, referred to my previously stated opinion (in another thread) that the game was more important to UConn than it was to Tennessee. Pat dropped UConn and still managed to attain the top spot for strength of schedule and RPI. UT does not need UConn to validate their standing. UConn on the other hand, for all of their success, needs Tennessee.

Yes, the complaints for the perceived slight naturally come from the offended side. But would this be an issue at all if Geno had stopped playing the victim? That's not Geno's way. It's always Geno against the world. I'm just saying that Tennessee does not need the game as much as UConn does.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
I'm just saying that Tennessee does not need the game as much as UConn does.

I would argue that the "need" for the game is about equal. As was proven this year, the top teams are willing to play each other and almost play each other exclusively. The role SOS plays in tournament seeding has made a game against either UConn or Tennessee a very desireable game. I don't see UConn having trouble finding an upper echelon team to replace UT on the schedule.

kage

PostPosted: 04/08/08 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
mabell3368 wrote:
I'm just saying that Tennessee does not need the game as much as UConn does.

I would argue that the "need" for the game is about equal. As was proven this year, the top teams are willing to play each other and almost play each other exclusively. The role SOS plays in tournament seeding has made a game against either UConn or Tennessee a very desireable game. I don't see UConn having trouble finding an upper echelon team to replace UT on the schedule.

They already did. LSU will continue even though LSU will be in rebuilding mode. They have a home and home game scheduled with Stanford already. And probably others that I don't know about.
sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
UT does not need UConn to validate their standing. UConn on the other hand, for all of their success, needs Tennessee.

Yes, the complaints for the perceived slight naturally come from the offended side. But would this be an issue at all if Geno had stopped playing the victim? That's not Geno's way. It's always Geno against the world. I'm just saying that Tennessee does not need the game as much as UConn does.

This has been the implication all long, though, hasn't it? By refusing to offer an answer and playing it off as if it wasn't even a major decision -- acting almost surprised that people are so interested in discovering the reason at all -- Pat implies that somehow the rivalry was never really a very big deal to her. Who honestly believes that?

It's disingenuous, and so is pretending to be the bigger person by instigating a situation and then bowing out with no explanation. She wouldn't want to cast aspersions, no, she'll just let everyone else do it for her.

Neither of them is particularly more mature than the other, but Geno at least has the self-awareness not to pretend to be.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mature?

Pat made a decision.
She's not airing any possible dirty laundry.
I see her as taking the high road, here.

Geno is acting as the rejected, scorned suitor.
So are the UConn fans.
Who's being more mature?

Pat wasn't that into you.
Deal with it and move on.

Sometimes closure ain't gonna happen.

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 04/08/08 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taoduck wrote:
Mature?

Pat made a decision.
She's not airing any possible dirty laundry.
I see her as taking the high road, here.

Geno is acting as the rejected, scorned suitor.
So are the UConn fans.
Who's being more mature?

Pat wasn't that into you.
Deal with it and move on.

Sometimes closure ain't gonna happen.

So does she. She thinks it's the high road. That's my point. But I disagree with her, and you apparently.

Pat knows what's been said about Moore, Geno, Bird, Taurasi, etc. She knows because people ask her about it and she continues to say no comment. She knows people aren't just calling Geno's character into question, but she decided not saying anything is the high road and that's what she's going to do, consequences to others be damned. That's her right, but I don't think it's a mature response, no. I don't think you make a decision, see the impact of that decision in the media, and then act like clearing the name of innocent people is somehow stooping to anything -- should they be innocent.

Which is, of course, the constant implication, right? They're not. Geno deserves what's being said about him, and so does Maya Moore. After all, anything Pat could choose to say would be "dirty laundry." She can't clear their names because they're guilty. That's what the silence being the high road implies. It insinuates their guilt through a lack of denial. It isn't actually very silent at all.

And I said Geno is immature. I don't think there is anyone who would disagree with that. He can be very, very immature. But I respect him more because he does not pretend to be mature when he isn't. I thought Pat was supposed to be the classy one but there is nothing classy about making a choice, watching other people take the heat, and then pretending that it has nothing to do with you.

Who's being more mature? Neither. That's the point. But Geno knows how he looks and Pat hasn't got a clue.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: