RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Final
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/05/08 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette wins, 81-66. Congratulations to Coach Terri Mitchell.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/05/08 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

They flat out dominated that game. I am so excited to see them play next year. And yes, congrats to Coach Mitchell. I'll admit, I was surprised that Marquette was as good as they were after losing Quaye, Landry, ect.

Oh, and is Jocelyn Mellen really only a freshman? I swore she was older. Tough player though, always has been.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

They flat out dominated that game. I am so excited to see them play next year. And yes, congrats to Coach Mitchell. I'll admit, I was surprised that Marquette was as good as they were after losing Quaye, Landry, ect.

Oh, and is Jocelyn Mellen really only a freshman? I swore she was older. Tough player though, always has been.

Just home from Michigan and rewinding the tape now. I'm wound up and figure I'll start watching some of the tape now since I won't get to sleep right away.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Marquette play next year too O][K Smile. They were inconsistent most of the regular season and really put it together in the WNIT. During the regular season, their longest winning streak was two games and they won 5 in a row to take the WNIT title and not only that but they won 3 on the row on the road to win it which was pretty impressive to me.

It was an awesome game and so great to see MU play well and be in control pretty much the whole game. Only one senior graduates - this was great experience for a young team. I loved seeing the team cut down the nets and got close enough to get some good pictures. I'm so happy for this team - the banquet next Sunday should be fun.

Mellen is a redshirt frosh. She tore her ACL in Jan of her senior year in hs and was still recovering last season and probably wasn't going to play a ton behind Quaye, Kamm and McCullough so she redshirted which I think was a good decision for her and the team. She has really come on strong toward the end of the season and was our best rebounder for awhile. Mellen and current frosh Paige Fiedorowicz and Courtney Weibel played AAU ball and I think Angel Robinson might have also played AAU ball with them although she's from Minnesota and the other three are from Illinois.

I'm super happy for junior Erin Monfre who has been playing well lately but not necessarily scoring a ton - she hit five 3's today and to me hit the biggest shot of the game nailing a 3 with 10 secs to go in the half to put MU's lead back in double digits after MSU had cut into the lead quite a bit. She had a special angel looking down on her today: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=735957

I just looked at the boxscore and saw Krystal Ellis had 11 assists - wow! And the team had 22 assists to only 13 to's - that's great b/c they've had trouble with turnovers throughout the season.

I'm so glad I was able to goto the game - was a great game to see...

Last edited by Marquette Fan on 04/06/08 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Hey, somewhat off-topic but here seemed appropriate enough. Lauren Thomas-Johnson, an honest-to-goodness British female basketball player, is transfering in to Marquette next season after two years being pretty impressive at junior college. Just wanted to say look after our girl, Marquette Fan, and if you happen to talk to her let her know that there are at least a couple of people following her progress back home Smile.

I'm familiar with Thomas-Johnson as she originally signed out of high school with Marquette and was supposed to be here for the 2006-07 season but ended up at the juco instead. I was glad to see in the fall that she signed with Marquette again and it looked like she put up some good stats this year and I know got juco All-American honors. I look forward to see her playing at Marquette next season.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Thanks for the well wishes Cam. I'm so happy for Terri - was so fun to see her climb the ladder and cut down the net.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/06/08 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Hey, somewhat off-topic but here seemed appropriate enough. Lauren Thomas-Johnson, an honest-to-goodness British female basketball player, is transfering in to Marquette next season after two years being pretty impressive at junior college. Just wanted to say look after our girl, Marquette Fan, and if you happen to talk to her let her know that there are at least a couple of people following her progress back home Smile.

I actually saw her play in the JUCO Nationals in Peoria. She's pretty good!

I think I'll keep posting in this thread tonight Smile.

Do you remember Breann Hill from the JUCO Nationals? She's on the same team as Thomas-Johnson and is coming to MU next year also. Hill is from Harrisburg, PA which is where Terri Mitchell is from and went to the same high school Mitchell did (many years later of course).

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/06/08 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I actually saw her play in the JUCO Nationals in Peoria. She's pretty good!

I think I'll keep posting in this thread tonight Smile.

Do you remember Breann Hill from the JUCO Nationals? She's on the same team as Thomas-Johnson and is coming to MU next year also. Hill is from Harrisburg, PA which is where Terri Mitchell is from and went to the same high school Mitchell did (many years later of course).

I remember Hill as well. She's a lot more physical than Thomas-Johnson, but both really helped their team, Kirkwood, win the national title. Thomas-Johnson played huge in the title game, leading her team with 21 points. Hill made the all-tournament team and T-J was the MVP.

There's some nice info on each player at this page.

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In filling out my WNIT bracket, I ended up a pathetic 25-22 overall with only 1 team I picked to get to the final four actually doing it.
Jerrybear

PostPosted: 04/07/08 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="shock6666"]Well it's our biggest conference rival (and the team the beat us -University of Michigan - in OT) but I'll root for them anyway...Go Michigan State...[/quote]

NOt me...i had to root against the Spartans. The sting of all the losses to them is still too fresh for me to do the "conference loyalty" thing. Maybe when Michigan has beaten them on a regular basis for a while, I will be able to stomach rooting for MSU in this sort of situation.

Or maybe not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: