RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Final
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:07 pm    ::: WNIT Final Reply Reply with quote

Marquette will play at Michigan State on Sat. 4/5 in the WNIT Final at 4p eastern time. The game will be on CSTV (called CBS College Sports now).

Michigan State defeated NC State 58-57 tonight and Marquette won at Colorado 86-72 to advance to the final.

Here's hoping Marquette can put together three road wins in a row come Saturday...

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I should probably root for the Big Ten, but I'm pulling for your Golden Eagles!

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
I know I should probably root for the Big Ten, but I'm pulling for your Golden Eagles!

Thanks O][K - I appreciate it - we need all the rooting vibes we can get Smile.

There was one scary moment tonight when Krystal Ellis went down hard under the basket after getting fouled (nothing wrong with the foul though) and had to come out of the game (someone else took her free throws). I was worried she might be lost for awhile and was very happy when I saw her come back in the game. She was a bit off tonight though - only scored 27 Smile - afterall she did score 40 last game.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Thanks O][K - I appreciate it - we need all the rooting vibes we can get Smile.

There was one scary moment tonight when Krystal Ellis went down hard under the basket after getting fouled (nothing wrong with the foul though) and had to come out of the game (someone else took her free throws). I was worried she might be lost for awhile and was very happy when I saw her come back in the game. She was a bit off tonight though - only scored 27 Smile - afterall she did score 40 last game.

Congratulations to both teams, but I'm going to be loyal to my conference on this one and root for Marquette.

Koopster

PostPosted: 04/03/08 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta root for the B-10...at least we're in the finals for something Embarassed

memphis10

PostPosted: 04/03/08 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'll root for the former CUSA school. Razz

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
played3on3

PostPosted: 04/03/08 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's great news, at least I still have one team left to cheer for. Plus it's actually on TV Very Happy
Thought they might mention it on the sports here tonight but of course it was all about Tom Crean leaving.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/03/08 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well none of my picks made it to the Finals so I'll be watching without much rooting interest.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/03/08 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

played3on3 wrote:
That's great news, at least I still have one team left to cheer for. Plus it's actually on TV Very Happy
Thought they might mention it on the sports here tonight but of course it was all about Tom Crean leaving.

Between Crean leaving and the Brewers winning again in Chicago yesterday I figured there wasn't much shot they'd talk about it but at least they weren't talking more about Favre retiring Smile. I flipped around and Channel 6 in Milwaukee was the only station I saw mention it and they also showed a brief clip of the game. If Marquette was hosting the final (and they would have had NC State won) I would care more about local news talking about MU being in the final as that might help attendance but alas MSU won and MU has to go there.

The Crean thing has been good for its entertainment value. It's been interesting to read all the fans' reactions to his abrupt departure on the MU boards. It was so abrupt that it leaked while the MU AD and a senior MU official who reports to the President of MU were on a plane to Colorado for the WNIT game - the AD found out when he landed and turned his phone on to find a ton of messages including one from Crean. Then the AD had to turn right around and fly back to Milwaukee. But I have a feeling the AD will be making the trip to MSU on Saturday.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/03/08 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
I guess I'll root for the former CUSA school. Razz

Woo hoo Smile. Any word on the Memphis coaching search? I was sad to notice this year how far they had fallen. I remember some really good teams in the 90s when Joye Lee was there. My favorite game I've ever attended in person was the 1995 GMC final between MU and Memphis and MU made a crazy comeback to win and I think both teams scored in the 90s or so. I believe Memphis was going to the NCAA's no matter what that year but MU needed to grab the automatic bid to go dancing. I watched a tape of that game a couple years ago and still found myself thinking MU wasn't going to come back and win it.

I hope they get a good coach in there and things start turning around for Memphis.

shock6666

PostPosted: 04/03/08 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it's our biggest conference rival (and the team the beat us -University of Michigan - in OT) but I'll root for them anyway...Go Michigan State...

PistonShockFan0318

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
Well it's our biggest conference rival (and the team the beat us -University of Michigan - in OT) but I'll root for them anyway...Go Michigan State...

Surprised UofM fan root for MSU? I think Hell has frozen over! LOL

Gotta root for MSU! Their my team.
Also they've been on a roll. Some inconsitancy which drives me crazy though. Also DeHaan is playing just about to her potential. And a couple youngins really have stepped up.

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PistonShockFan0318 wrote:
shock6666 wrote:

Surprised UofM fan root for MSU? I think Hell has frozen over! LOL

Gotta root for MSU! Their my team.
Also they've been on a roll. Some inconsitancy which drives me crazy though. Also DeHaan is playing just about to her potential. And a couple youngins really have stepped up.

Yeah, I work for UM too....I think it could be considered grounds for termination. However, I have a lot of friends up in MSU land and so it's easy to support both programs.

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Marquette Very Happy Very Happy

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 04/03/08 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping NCST could get through Sad and of course for UC Davis to not be one and done...

GOOO MARQUETTE!!! Good luck!

played3on3

PostPosted: 04/03/08 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear you MarquetteFan. Coverage of womens sports here is almost non existent Sad They actually found the time to show "highlights" of the latest bucks fiasco rather than mention the Marquette women. If the Brewers do well this summer there simply will be no other news. Election? What election Rolling Eyes
My first reaction to Crean leaving was, " bye Tom, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out".
I'm still waiting to hear Stone is out at UW. I don't know what there even is to think about but that's JMHO.
If you decide to make the trip, have fun and please give a full report when you get back.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/03/08 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

played3on3 wrote:
I hear you MarquetteFan. Coverage of womens sports here is almost non existent Sad They actually found the time to show "highlights" of the latest bucks fiasco rather than mention the Marquette women. If the Brewers do well this summer there simply will be no other news. Election? What election Rolling Eyes
My first reaction to Crean leaving was, " bye Tom, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out".
I'm still waiting to hear Stone is out at UW. I don't know what there even is to think about but that's JMHO.
If you decide to make the trip, have fun and please give a full report when you get back.

I might sign up for the MU bus trip (just found out about that this afternoon) - still trying to see if that will work out for me.

I don't think the Brewers winning will trump election coverage but Packers coverage will trump anything and that drives me up the wall sometimes. That and the fascination with weather coverage really gets to me.

I laughed out loud when I heard the news about Crean leaving and I heard it right when it was breaking news on the radio - couldn't wait to get home and read the messageboards. It's amazing how quick the Crean worshippers turned on him. I'm not real upset that he left.

Some fans on the UW board are speculating that they may not want to pay Stone's buyout but if you don't get rid of her now you basically have a lame duck coach and that hurts recruiting and that was the situation towards the end of Albright's tenure there. There has been some mention on the UW boards of fans wanting UW to look at MU coach Terri Mitchell if they do let Stone go. I would hope Mitchell wouldn't leave for UW, but if she did I'd wish her well - she's been at MU a long time and done a great job here. I just hope that if she leaves for another job this year that it is well after the men's bball circus has calmed down.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/04/08 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

will it be televised??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/04/08 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
will it be televised??

Yes the game is at 4p eastern on CSTV (now called CBS College Sports).

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/04/08 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like how CBS has taken over collegesportsnetwork...the presentation seems alot better to me now

PostPosted: 04/05/08 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumping as a reminder that the WNIT Final is on CBS College Sports Television (formerly CSTV) at 4P Eastern time.

I'm off to Michigan in a bit - Go Marquette!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/05/08 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, somewhat off-topic but here seemed appropriate enough. Lauren Thomas-Johnson, an honest-to-goodness British female basketball player, is transfering in to Marquette next season after two years being pretty impressive at junior college. Just wanted to say look after our girl, Marquette Fan, and if you happen to talk to her let her know that there are at least a couple of people following her progress back home Smile.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/05/08 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Hey, somewhat off-topic but here seemed appropriate enough. Lauren Thomas-Johnson, an honest-to-goodness British female basketball player, is transfering in to Marquette next season after two years being pretty impressive at junior college. Just wanted to say look after our girl, Marquette Fan, and if you happen to talk to her let her know that there are at least a couple of people following her progress back home Smile.

I actually saw her play in the JUCO Nationals in Peoria. She's pretty good!

PostPosted: 04/05/08 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The DII player of the year (Franklin Pierce) is English
Leedham: http://www.wbca.org/releases/DIIPOY2008.htm

PostPosted: 04/05/08 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
The DII player of the year (Franklin Pierce) is English
Leedham: http://www.wbca.org/releases/DIIPOY2008.htm

Yeah, I knew about her. She and Thomas-Johnson are both in the recently-named GB Senior Women's team for this summer. There are a few others playing in the US college system as well (Chantelle Handy at Marshall, Nikki Luckhurst at Tulane, for example), and several more in US high-schools (including a couple at Notre Dame Academy).

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to mention the one that's transfering to a pretty significant school for next year Smile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: