RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will things change for Rutgers next year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:19 pm    ::: Will things change for Rutgers next year? Reply Reply with quote

Will Matee and Carson gone...and the Five HS-AA coming in? I think they will.

Matee was the one who would dribble the shot clock down most of the time. i think Speed won't be like that.

And I for one am very excited for next year's Rutgers team.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:32 pm    ::: Re: Will things change for Rutgers next year? Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22 wrote:

Matee was the one who would dribble the shot clock down most of the time. i think Speed won't be like that.

What people often forget is that CVS has done what she's done without a slew of Parade AAs. I think the most top 50 players she's ever recruited in a single year before now is 2, and next year she's going to have something like 8 or 9 of them on the squad.

She'll also have depth, which she hasn't had before. Five players who were on the court last night return, including Vaughn and Prince, there are the five recruits, she has a transfer (Zachery) who'll be able to play next season and the two injured players (Rushdan and McCurdy) will be back as well, possibly for the start of the season. With that many bodies to play with, I suspect we'll see more aggressive defense and offense. After all, one reason for the slow-down offensive strategy always has been that she wants to save energy for defense, and that won't be as necessary with as many as 13 players she can use.

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:37 pm    ::: Re: Will things change for Rutgers next year? Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

What people often forget is that CVS has done what she's done without a slew of Parade AAs. I think the most top 50 players she's ever recruited in a single year before now is 2, and next year she's going to have something like 8 or 9 of them on the squad.

She'll also have depth, which she hasn't had before. Five players who were on the court last night return, including Vaughn and Prince, there are the five recruits, she has a transfer (Zachery) who'll be able to play next season and the two injured players (Rushdan and McCurdy) will be back as well, possibly for the start of the season. With that many bodies to play with, I suspect we'll see more aggressive defense and offense. After all, one reason for the slow-down offensive strategy always has been that she wants to save energy for defense, and that won't be as necessary with as many as 13 players she can use.

I'm super excited. We should really see what Rutgers can do! And hopefully Prince will step up and be that scorer we know she can be.

Rutgers did a great job this year considering how thin they have been all season long.

And I know Speed will push the ball next year.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it looks like I'll hafta scan the bench to get a good look at Heather Zurich.

RU really needs a scorer-- I don't know that they really had someone who could consistenly deliver in the clutch. If RU could come up with a reliable 20pt/game player, I think CVS could cut down the nets.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
So it looks like I'll hafta scan the bench to get a good look at Heather Zurich.

RU really needs a scorer-- I don't know that they really had someone who could consistenly deliver in the clutch. If RU could come up with a reliable 20pt/game player, I think CVS could cut down the nets.

Sorry, bill. Most RU fans think Zurich will start at the beginning of the year and lose minutes over time. After the way she defended Moore last night, though, she might find herself in the Essence Carson/Chelsea Newton role.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a couple of months of adjustments and learning defense, RU should be better for two reasons.

First, the five great recruits coming in plus Rushdan and McCurdy returning.

Second, the weakening of this year's top 7. TN, UNC, MD and LSU are all losing more than they are bringing in. Stanford is losing Wiggins. Most think UConn will improve, but I'm not so sure. They are bringing in wing shooters, but arguably no one who can replace Hunter-Houston up front or Swanier at the point.

I think RU will be in the top 4.

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Rutgers is going to change for the better, so does Vivian's offensive philosophy, if you can really call it that.

Her guards have to be able to run a decent halfcourt offense for 40 minutes while still maintaining their defensive intensity. If Vaughn is coming back, the guards have to be committed to first looking for her inside and going to her quickly if she's open. They can't have their guards indiscriminantly trying to go one-on-one or dribbling the shot clock down to five seconds before forcing up a terrible shot from the perimeter, as Ajavon did way too much in the second half last night.

Simply put, Rutgers has to be able to win higher-scoring games. As great as they are and will surely continue to be defensively, you're not going to beat the UConns and Tennessees of the sport at this point of the season when you struggle to score 60 points. Those teams are too talented offensively and are too well coached to be stymied that much.

Vivian's teams have never been able to do this; I'll have to see them do it to believe it.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
After a couple of months of adjustments and learning defense, RU should be better for two reasons.

First, the five great recruits coming in plus Rushdan and McCurdy returning.

Second, the weakening of this year's top 7. TN, UNC, MD and LSU are all losing more than they are bringing in. Stanford is losing Wiggins. Most think UConn will improve, but I'm not so sure. They are bringing in wing shooters, but arguably no one who can replace Hunter-Houston up front or Swanier at the point.

I think RU will be in the top 4.

Stanford is changing, but I'm not sure they are weakening too much. Wiggins is a huge loss but Nneka is a huge gain. Remember, when Wiggins came in after Powell left, the team was actually better than they were the year before. We also get Mel and Michelle back, Boothe for added depth at the post, and LaRoque to replace Wiggins' 3-point shooting (and Grace Mashore if we ever need a 4th-string point guard).

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:01 pm    ::: Re: Will things change for Rutgers next year? Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way will the Lovable Czar change her style regardless of what players she recruits. Our only hope lies with possible rule changes...........like a 24 second clock, etc.

The Lovable Czar is as permanent in her style of play as the chisseled figures on Mt. Rushmore....... and she will only harden like cement as time passes.

I like Rutgers, but watching them play under CVS is like getting a root canel without any numbing enhancements, sedatives or gas.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/08 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
No way will the Lovable Czar change her style regardless of what players she recruits. Our only hope lies with possible rule changes...........like a 24 second clock, etc.

The Lovable Czar is as permanent in her style of play as the chisseled figures on Mt. Rushmore....... and she will only harden like cement as time passes.

I like Rutgers, but watching them play under CVS is like getting a root canel without any numbing enhancements, sedatives or gas.

Leaving aside your rooting interest for a moment, what did you think about RU's style in the first 15 minutes of Tuesday's game? I ask because I think the influx of new bodies may make it possible for them to play that way more often next year. We didn't really see the 55 much this year (except the second half of the first UConn game), and that generates a lot of offense, too.

Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 04/03/08 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Leaving aside your rooting interest for a moment, what did you think about RU's style in the first 15 minutes of Tuesday's game? I ask because I think the influx of new bodies may make it possible for them to play that way more often next year. We didn't really see the 55 much this year (except the second half of the first UConn game), and that generates a lot of offense, too.

Very true. How many times did Rutgers do the 55 this year? not that often?

CVS will have the players to do it next year, and I say to watch out for this Rutgers team next year...I don't think UCONN and the Big East will like what they see.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/04/08 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CVS will have the players to do it next year, and I say to watch out for this Rutgers team next year...I don't think UCONN and the Big East will like what they see.

It's a scary thing when they go to it.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/04/08 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

It's a scary thing when they go to it.

This probably increases my karmic burden, but I have to say I've always enjoyed the deer-in-the-headlights effect on the other team when RU turns on the 55. Sometimes I think it's not so much the actual pressure as the perceived pressure. You see teams make incredibly stupid, unnecessary passes that get picked off or go out of bounds because the point guard thinks she's running out of time to make something happen.

And it happens to the best teams, too. I forget which UConn game it was at the RAC (maybe the game when RU came from like 18 behind to win), but I think the Huskies once had 5 or 6 straight possessions when they turned the ball over while RU was running the 55.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/04/08 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Defense and the 55 are the Scarlet Knights trademark, they'll always be a part of CVS's arsenal. I look for them to be like Duke this year with the loss of Ajavon and Carson veteran leadership. It will take them until the end of the year to get better.

However, with ALL the talent coming in, it's going to be a good experience and their future looks bright. Hopefully, the NCAA will get overhauled alittle to stop favoring Tennessee and the SEC on National Championship seeding and UConn and Rutgers won't have to face off so one can get knocked off (just like the Committee plans it.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: