RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tom Joyner on Candace Parker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/02/08 12:36 pm    ::: Tom Joyner on Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
NO brother would dare come back and play after that.

Quote:
Even the professional men would hang it up.

Quote:
Dwayne Wade had to have a wheel chair come get him when he hurt his shoulder.

Very Happy Very true on the D. Wade one.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/02/08 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, the question isn't why Candace came back and played. Candace may be all that, but she's still just a kid-- she lives in the moment and hasn't developed the longer view of what an injury like hers might imply for her career. She saw a game and she felt okay, so she was eager to get back in the game. Wouldn't expect anything different from any other player.

The real question is why the UT staff allowed it! Why did the athletic trainer clear her to keep playing? Did she feel some tacit pressure to err on the side of playing when it was the franchise player and the game was tight? Would she have made the same decision with a scrub-- or even another starter? (Maybe, as Fuller has worn a brace for what seems like years.) The athletic trainer would probably say yes to those questions, but would she?

And why did Pat put her back in the game? Maybe she was thinking about that racoon again, and figured, "if I can take it, so can Candace." But maybe she thought, "I really, really need forty-five percent of my scoring out on the floor." But why didn't she think, "I've got the horses to win this game, I'm not going to risk Candace for next week-- or for her career."?

As I said last night, when Parker came back out, Blair should have stopped the game and demanded a drug test-- for Parker, the athletic trainer and Pat.

Last edited by bballjunkee212 on 04/02/08 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
memphis10

PostPosted: 04/02/08 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best part of Candace graduating with her class and moving on the WNBA will be so you can FINALLY STFU about her. You seriously have a hatred of a "kid" that is sickening. Did you get jilted by someone who resembles Candace?

Dammit I hate that I missed Tom Joyner this morning cuz that would have made me laugh all day.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/02/08 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
The best part of Candace graduating with her class and moving on the WNBA will be so you can FINALLY STFU about her. You seriously have a hatred of a "kid" that is sickening. Did you get jilted by someone who resembles Candace?

Dammit I hate that I missed Tom Joyner this morning cuz that would have made me laugh all day.

How was my post "hating" on Candace? How has any post I have ever written "hated" on Candace? Be specific.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why I'm wasting seconds of my life away by replying to you. I recall a lovely little thread started by you stating how "I hate Candace Parker." Nuff said.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
memphis10 wrote:

How was my post "hating" on Candace? How has any post I have ever written "hated" on Candace? Be specific.

Please, you're in denial. You spend a substantial amount of time on this board dedicated to disparaging Parker in any effort possible. First you began in the spring of her collegiate career by saying she wasn't that good because of stats. When that didn't pan out, you moved on to the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard by claiming the media ONLY hypes Parker up because she's "light-skin". I guess that's the only reason the media hypes up Tiger Woods too. It couldn't possibly be that he's really that good, could it?

You are so transparent. You try to hide your dislike for Parker behind some mask that "oh, I'm really only talking about the media's focus on her". Yeah right. If that were true, why post what you did from the beginning? Nothing you wrote had anything to do with "the media conspiracy". Now, you harp on why Tennessee put her back in, why Pat would do this, why, why, why.

Did it ever occur to you that Candace is a great player and like other greats, it would have taken 300 Spartans to pull her away from that game if she could walk in the least bit? You have not once in your time EVER complimented Parker in any way. Anytime you say something about her it is negative.

That girl went through all that and then in post game interview said it was an honor to play for her teammates and go out and do whatever she could. How about complimenting that attitude, then perhaps we could take you seriously when you say you don't "hate Parker".

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A UConn fan here.

While I cannot say I'm the biggest CP fan, when I turned the game on last night....she was beyond awesome before getting injured.

Total respect for her talent here.

Was sad and concerned to see the injury. I don't know if it will effect her long term or not, but to see her come back in, is no less than what I've seen with some players on UConn and others.

Was glad to see her come back. Good or bad decision...time will tell. Yet, if it was her decision and she told Pat she could and wanted to play..I'm glad they let her in.

I hope she is 100% this coming week (although I read she may not). And should UConn play University of Tennessee may the likes of CP, Maya and others put on a game that will have many talk about for a long time.

A battle back and forth for 39 minutes and 55 seconds before UConn hits a basket to win it at the buzzer.

And to CP. May she have a great WNBA career. Catching is one of my favorite players...and if CP plays like that, she will be too.

Its not just about UConn and University of Tennessee .....its about womens basketball.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
memphis10 wrote:

Please, you're in denial. You spend a substantial amount of time on this board dedicated to disparaging Parker in any effort possible. First you began in the spring of her collegiate career by saying she wasn't that good because of stats. When that didn't pan out, you moved on to the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard by claiming the media ONLY hypes Parker up because she's "light-skin". I guess that's the only reason the media hypes up Tiger Woods too. It couldn't possibly be that he's really that good, could it?

You are so transparent. You try to hide your dislike for Parker behind some mask that "oh, I'm really only talking about the media's focus on her". Yeah right. If that were true, why post what you did from the beginning? Nothing you wrote had anything to do with "the media conspiracy". Now, you harp on why Tennessee put her back in, why Pat would do this, why, why, why.

Did it ever occur to you that Candace is a great player and like other greats, it would have taken 300 Spartans to pull her away from that game if she could walk in the least bit? You have not once in your time EVER complimented Parker in any way. Anytime you say something about her it is negative.

That girl went through all that and then in post game interview said it was an honor to play for her teammates and go out and do whatever she could. How about complimenting that attitude, then perhaps we could take you seriously when you say you don't "hate Parker".

Your recollection of what I wrote is so inaccurate, I am wondering now if I should respond. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

When I wrote "be specific," I meant for someone to find posts where I actually was hateful of Candace Parker-- not post up a self-serving collection of recollections about what you thought I wrote. So this time I will be specific: Go back to the threads and posts, and quote me, and provide links, so that anybody who gives a damn can judge for themselves what I wrote.

For the record, I have said that I objected to ESPN cramming Parker down our throats as the "best player in America" (that ultimately got morphed to "best skill set ever," although I personally would take Miller, Swoopes, Leslie, Taurasi and Catchings against a team of five Parkers) when at least one player outperformed her. That's demonstrably true: Paris has all the scoring/rebounding records; Paris has 90+ double/doubles; Paris was ahead of Parker in every statistical category in which they both appeared. This year, the coaches in the conference in which Parker played voted for another player as POY. And yet, ESPN has consistently sung the praises of Parker, while saying much less about Sylvia Fowles, and essentially nothing about Paris.

Btw, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Parker will be "voted" tournament MOP, even if UT craps out. However, I believe that the MOP of the tournament thus far is clearly Candice Wiggins-- she's the one with back-to-back 40+ games-- one with 11 rebounds and 9 assists, the other against a #1 seed-- not Parker.

And continuing for the record, I said that I believed that ESPN was hyping Parker for marketing reasons. I also said that I believed that there was a healthy dose of racism to ESPN's choice because Parker has more Caucasian features and lighter skin tone than Courtney.

I don't-- never have-- viewed Parker's or Paris's looks as a negative, but I do believe that, for reasons of "realpolitik" marketing, ESPN has chosen to back the tall, rangy, light-skinned Parker almost to the exclusion of every other player, but particularly in favor of the large, darker skinned Paris. If ESPN was fair-minded, it would have given all the great players their props in the past two seasons. But it hasn't. Instead, it has "Parkerized" its audience to marginalization of nearly every other player, to the point that it is sickening-- to the point where a fan could almost wish Parker was too hurt to come back, or wish that UT would lose, just so Nancy Lieberman would, to quote another poster, "STFU" about it.

That is what I have written. If you think you can quote me saying otherwise, or being "hateful" towards Candace, I challenge you to do it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: