RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well congrats on your 2008 National Championship Uconn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/02/08 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
njjosh wrote:

If Wiggins plays the way she did last night, Stanford has a chance against UConn. But UConn is much better defensively than Maryland.

All you have to do is shadow Wiggins and Stanford is done.

Have you paid any attention to this tournament?

Have Kayla, Jayne, JJ, and Ros completely escaped your vision?

PostPosted: 04/02/08 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Shades wrote:
njjosh wrote:

If Wiggins plays the way she did last night, Stanford has a chance against UConn. But UConn is much better defensively than Maryland.

Those players haven't faced a defense as good or as smart as UConn in the tournament.

ps5pede

PostPosted: 04/02/08 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
Shades wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Those players haven't faced a defense as good or as smart as UConn in the tournament.

Not in the tournament yet, however they have played Uconn once this season.. it was early.. Stanford is a much different team.. Since that game Stanford has JJ Hones and Rosalyn Gold Onwude at full strength and Candice Wiggins was struggling a bit... Uconn has lost 2 starters since that game.. they have adjusted, but however it will be a much different game.. I'm really hoping Stanford can continue their run..

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Who exactly is gonna shadow Wiggins?
Are we gonna force Maya to do it? At that point..aren't we asking a little too much?

Cause Swanier and Montgomery are very good at pressure defense..but when Candice is shooting, she won't see Renee..and maybe she'll see the top of Swanier's head...

PostPosted: 04/02/08 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins can be contained. You probably won't stop her, but you can limit her effectiveness with good team defense. And as I said before, UConn can play very good team defense. That's how they were able to contain Prince (who went off for 33 against them in the lone UConn loss) in the second UConn/RU game, and Ajavon in the second half of last night's game. You have to have good on ball D, but also have the helpside there on Wiggins' drives to cut off her path to the lane and your bigs hedging out on screens up top (if you don't shadow her).

I don't think the Stanford frontcourt can go toe to toe with UConn's for 40 minutes, and that's where I think the game will be won. Doesn't Pederson play the 3 for Stanford? That means she'll probably match up with Moore? That sounds like fun Very Happy Whatever happens, should be a great game!

I see a UConn/LSU final as well.

- Diana Taurasi
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/02/08 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Clement was a key part of that Vols team and her pre-game ankle injury devastated the entire team. She was a Philly native and an emotional leader for them - and that year, she was a major contributer on both sides of the ball as a big guard with excellent poise and passing skills.

Her injury really hurt Tennessee in the 2000 title game. I don't mean to take anything away from Sue Bird's near perfect game nor what Shea and Company were able to accomplish, but Tennessee could have given a better fight at least.

Ace Clement stunk and she wouldn't have made a bit of difference. We were up in that game by 27 points at one point, she wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 04/02/08 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
I don't think the Stanford frontcourt can go toe to toe with UConn's for 40 minutes, and that's where I think the game will be won. Doesn't Pederson play the 3 for Stanford? That means she'll probably match up with Moore? That sounds like fun Very Happy Whatever happens, should be a great game!

No, Pederson plays the 4. Stanford runs the triangle, which puts Pederson on the perimeter at times (hence all the 3's), but Wiggins plays the 3. Gold-Onwude plays 2, and Hones plays 1. If Hones is out, Gold-Onwude plays 1. If Hones is in and Harmon comes in for Gold-Onwude, Harmon plays 3 and Wiggins switches to 2. If Harmon subs for Pederson, she's at 4. If she subs for Appel, Pederson switches to 5. When Pohlen comes in, she often shares time at both the 1 and 2 spots, sometimes 3 as well if Wiggins is out. You'll see a lot of different looks from Stanford.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/02/08 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
thatGAgirl wrote:

No, Pederson plays the 4. Stanford runs the triangle, which puts Pederson on the perimeter at times (hence all the 3's), but Wiggins plays the 3. Gold-Onwude plays 2, and Hones plays 1. If Hones is out, Gold-Onwude plays 1. If Hones is in and Harmon comes in for Gold-Onwude, Harmon plays 3 and Wiggins switches to 2. If Harmon subs for Pederson, she's at 4. If she subs for Appel, Pederson switches to 5. When Pohlen comes in, she often shares time at both the 1 and 2 spots, sometimes 3 as well if Wiggins is out. You'll see a lot of different looks from Stanford.

Ahh, ok gotcha. Thanks Jacko! I haven't watched Stanford all that closely except for this tournament.

- Diana Taurasi
ps5pede

PostPosted: 04/02/08 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
Wiggins can be contained. You probably won't stop her, but you can limit her effectiveness with good team defense. And as I said before, UConn can play very good team defense. That's how they were able to contain Prince (who went off for 33 against them in the lone UConn loss) in the second UConn/RU game, and Ajavon in the second half of last night's game. You have to have good on ball D, but also have the helpside there on Wiggins' drives to cut off her path to the lane and your bigs hedging out on screens up top (if you don't shadow her).

They also said that Stanford couldn't keep up with Maryland in a high scoring game or that Stanford's young post players could keep up Maryland's senior post players.. I'm really happy Stanford is in the Final Four, however there is still something left to prove..

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/02/08 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ps5pede wrote:
thatGAgirl wrote:

They also said that Stanford couldn't keep up with Maryland in a high scoring game or that Stanford's young post players could keep up Maryland's senior post players.. I'm really happy Stanford is in the Final Four, however there is still something left to prove..

Don't really know what "they" you mean, but I never thought Maryland would beat Stanford. Maryland's defense is shaky at best; I didn't feel they could play good enough half court defense to defeat Stanford. But as you saw, Appel was visibly winded midway through the second half trying to keep up with the quicker Maryland posts. Good thing Wiggins/Hones were on their game. UConn has posts that are just as big/athletic as Maryland. Difference is that UConn actually plays defense and Geno will POUND the ball inside (if he knows what's good for him Laughing).

I was happy that Stanford made the Final Four. I picked them in my bracket. But that's as far as I've got them. I'm not saying Stanford can't win. I'm saying I don't think they will.

- Diana Taurasi
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ps5pede wrote:

Most of us don't take what the ESPN folks say for face value. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
ps5pede

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
ps5pede wrote:
thatGAgirl wrote:

Don't really know what "they" you mean, but I never thought Maryland would beat Stanford. Maryland's defense is shaky at best; I didn't feel they could play good enough half court defense to defeat Stanford. But as you saw, Appel was visibly winded midway through the second half trying to keep up with the quicker Maryland posts. Good thing Wiggins/Hones were on their game. UConn has posts that are just as big/athletic as Maryland. Difference is that UConn actually plays defense and Geno will POUND the ball inside (if he knows what's good for him Laughing).

I was happy that Stanford made the Final Four. I picked them in my bracket. But that's as far as I've got them. I'm not saying Stanford can't win. I'm saying I don't think they will.

I know, but as a Stanford fan I'm rooting for them.. of course as all other fans are rooting for their teams.. Just hope for a great game and I'm sure both teams will be prepared.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ps5pede wrote:
I know, but as a Stanford fan I'm rooting for them.. of course as all other fans are rooting for their teams.. Just hope for a great game and I'm sure both teams will be prepared.

Oh absolutely. And trust, if Stanford does beat UConn I will be rooting right along with you for them to get that ring Wink

- Diana Taurasi
pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Her injury really hurt Tennessee in the 2000 title game. I don't mean to take anything away from Sue Bird's near perfect game nor what Shea and Company were able to accomplish, but Tennessee could have given a better fight at least.

Confused

Bird was about the only Hussie who didn't have a good game in the 2000 final.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that Heather Zurich made it rather clear that Maya Moore can be contained.

To think that Stanford's bigs can't compete with the UConn bigs makes me laugh. Perhaps in a one game situation, it may not happen, but what more do the Stanford posts have to prove?

They dismantled Cal. They beat Tennessee. They took down Rutgers. They beat Maryland.

Posts included in this collection of team are:

Hampton, Walker, Anosike, Parker, Vaughn, Harper, Langhorne.

I believe that we are going to see an all-out war between Stanford and UConn, and I have no reason not to have every ounce of faith in the Stanford squad. UConn may win, but they will have to earn it.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Confused

Bird was about the only Hussie who didn't have a good game in the 2000 final.

Bird played great in that game, she didn't score much..but she played great.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
I believe that Heather Zurich made it rather clear that Maya Moore can be contained.

To think that Stanford's bigs can't compete with the UConn bigs makes me laugh. Perhaps in a one game situation, it may not happen, but what more do the Stanford posts have to prove?

They dismantled Cal. They beat Tennessee. They took down Rutgers. They beat Maryland.

Posts included in this collection of team are:

Hampton, Walker, Anosike, Parker, Vaughn, Harper, Langhorne.

I believe that we are going to see an all-out war between Stanford and UConn, and I have no reason not to have every ounce of faith in the Stanford squad. UConn may win, but they will have to earn it.

But Heather Zurich has some size, so does Essence Carson and Brittany Ray to an extent. Who on Stanford's team has the size or speed to face guard Maya the whole game like Rutgers could. I really am asking here because I don't get to see Stanford that often. Anybody much shorter than 6'1 can face guard Maya all they want and she could just shoot right over them.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zurich is not exactly big.

Rosalyn Gold-Onwude is about 5'10 and has pretty long arms. She did some good things on Toliver against Maryland that kept her from getting her teammates involved, getting her arms in passing lanes, keeping her going side to side instead of baseline to baseline. It's different guarding Moore though, because with Moore it's about denial. Ros did a good job denying Zellous in the second half against Pittsburgh, which would be a more comparable task to what needs to be done with Moore.

I'm not saying Moore won't go off. I expect it. But either way, I don't think that Moore going off and Stanford winning are mutually exclusive. Stanford is more than a one woman show, and people need to recognize that. They have methodically picked apart a lot of teams this season with and without Wiggins shooting well. With and without Hones shooting well. The key is that someone has always stepped up. Stanford has grinded games out, beating Rutgers and Pitt, and they have played up tempo scoring 98 against Maryland and absolutely blitzing Cal earlier this year.

This is a battle tested team who has played a really terrific schedule outside of the Pac Ten. Again, they may not win, but they will be ready for war.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm expecting it to be a close game that could go either way. Good luck to both squads, hope it's a good game.
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/03/08 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Zurich is not exactly big.

Rosalyn Gold-Onwude is about 5'10 and has pretty long arms. She did some good things on Toliver against Maryland that kept her from getting her teammates involved, getting her arms in passing lanes, keeping her going side to side instead of baseline to baseline. It's different guarding Moore though, because with Moore it's about denial. Ros did a good job denying Zellous in the second half against Pittsburgh, which would be a more comparable task to what needs to be done with Moore.

I'm not saying Moore won't go off. I expect it. But either way, I don't think that Moore going off and Stanford winning are mutually exclusive. Stanford is more than a one woman show, and people need to recognize that. They have methodically picked apart a lot of teams this season with and without Wiggins shooting well. With and without Hones shooting well. The key is that someone has always stepped up. Stanford has grinded games out, beating Rutgers and Pitt, and they have played up tempo scoring 98 against Maryland and absolutely blitzing Cal earlier this year.

This is a battle tested team who has played a really terrific schedule outside of the Pac Ten. Again, they may not win, but they will be ready for war.

Well said. Smile

I agree that those two factors (Moore's output and Stanford's chances at victory) aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. For instance, if you make Maya work her tail off on the offensive end and she still scores, then you've worn her out to the point that her defense (on Wiggins) suffers. In turn, that opens up all kinds of opportunities offensively for Stanford. So while Moore would still "get hers", Stanford would still have a great shot at winning.

Mathies to LA 2013
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 04/06/08 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well congrats Stanford! Way to prove me wrong. Very Happy

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 04/06/08 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

Damn, thanks a lot hoops! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

- Diana Taurasi
Sass

PostPosted: 04/06/08 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

You were the one who was saying "thanks for the memories, Tennessee," the other night after Parker got hurt. How come you wanna bet against your own team?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
jap

PostPosted: 04/06/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

You were the one who was saying "thanks for the memories, Tennessee," the other night after Parker got hurt. How come you wanna bet against your own team?

. . . cause she|he didn't think Candace could play as well as she did with a wounded wing? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Sass wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

. . . cause she|he didn't think Candace could play as well as she did with a wounded wing? Laughing

Yeah but you can't throw the towel in. Ya gotta fight and have faith.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: