RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greensboro Championship: (2) Rutgers vs. (1) UCONN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You basically said she was lucky to hit that shot. I'm not sure if a 40% 3-point shooter "gets lucky" by hitting an open shot from the top of the key. By saying that people would've bagged on her had she not hit that shot and bringing up her performance earlier in the game, you're implying that she shouldn't have taken that shot in the first place--and I disagree with that notion completely. It was a good look and she is a good shooter. That is her shot, whether she's 10-10 from the floor or 2-17.

Mathies to LA 2013
jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
You basically said she was lucky to hit that shot. I'm not sure if a 40% 3-point shooter "gets lucky" by hitting an open shot from the top of the key. By saying that people would've bagged on her had she not hit that shot and bringing up her performance earlier in the game, you're implying that she shouldn't have taken that shot in the first place--and I disagree with that notion completely. It was a good look and she is a good shooter. That is her shot, whether she's 10-10 from the floor or 2-17.

i didn't basically say a damn thing.....i said it was chance....as someone pointed out all shots are.....it could have went....it could have not....if i wanted to say she was lucky....i would have come right out and said it.....and i didn't say she shouldn't have taken the shot.....read slowly......i said that if she had missed....perception of how good a decision it was would be different....i don't need you to analyze my statements.....i come right out and say what i mean....for those that read objectively and not as fanboys.....it's clear.....

you need to get off of her jock.....i wasn't critizing maya.....but if situation came where i felt like i wanted to....i would.....whether you liked it or not.....

@mercfan3 .....they did snub swanier......even on uconns' site....hardly any mention of her at all.....but they played up large the fact that maya won Greensboro Regional Most Outstanding Player.....they could have given swanier some mention as game mvp.....

btw....swanier is gorgeous..... Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
what motives did i question??.....if i questioned anything it was the idea that geno coached some magnificent game....and i'm looking at that sequence right now....it certainly was not a set play.....

Are you for real? I totally disagree. UConn was down 14 points and Rutgers was in complete control of the game for most of the first half. I guess the kids just went into the lockerroom and talked amongst themselves at the half and decided to go win the game. Riiiiiiight...I think Geno coached a great second half and the kids gutted out a win. I call bullshit on your theory that Rutgers was just fatigued. Even though that may have been the case there towards the end, they were completely inept on the offensive end of the floor most of the second half. The offensive playcalling was borderline insane. Geno made defensive adjustments yes, but Rutgers went away from attacking the basket and settled for dribbling around the perimeter and whoever ended up with the ball just chucking it up. Kia Vaughn had 7 shot attempts. 7. Fatigue my ass. That's just a bad offensive gameplan IMO. I agree with what someone said earlier, Rutgers lost this game just as much as UConn won it.

And what on Earth are you looking at that you can't see that that was a set play? THEY RUN IT ALL THE TIME. Swanier looks to Geno and he gives her the signal. She immediately turns to Moore's side of the floor (not Montgomery's) and waves her through. Charles sets a downscreen that Moore explodes around to the top of the key. She's wide open so she let's it fly. Swish. Certainly looks like a play to me. It's the first option off that play, same play I've seen him run for Dee many a time. If the three at the top of the key is not there, they reverse the ball and continue with the next option.

Anyway, this is pointless and is getting us nowhere. I'm done with it. Facts are that Moore "somehow got open", DID nail the three, and UConn has advanced. We'll just have to agree to disagree how any of these facts occurred Smile

- Diana Taurasi
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
you need to get off of her jock.....

Comments like these are why no one takes you seriously.

Mathies to LA 2013
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Misc. observations:

I don't think Rutgers' offense was so bad. In fact, it was better relatively than UConn's. Rutgers got 56 shots on goal to UConn's 47, and made 23 to UConn's 21. Rutgers hit 7 3pters to UConn's 5, and out rebounded UConn by one in total and by 4 in o-boards.

UConn's offense was actually worse in the second half than the first: 9 fg's made compared to 12 in the first half.

UConn won the game in the second half because it clamped down on its defense and because Rutgers committed 15 fouls, giving UConn 17 points from the foul line in 19 attempts.

Carson is a great player and defender, but the box-and-one defense on Moore was by a committee that included Ray, Zurich and Ajavon in addition to Carson.

Moore's dagger 3 came against Carson (who got picked off by Charles), and was part of a two-play plan. UConn ran the same play again, but instead of shooting, Moore passed to a rolling McLaren, who hit the layup. Nice sequence of plays.

Rutgers played probably the best defense possible against UConn, but the box-and-one carries the risk that other shooters hit from the open outside. For the most part, Rutgers' gamble paid off. Montgomery and Swanier only shot 4-17.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not going to disagree that Stringer's decisions on the offensive end didn't work, but I am going to say that I think fatigue was a factor.

The reason I say that is the evidence of several other games after the McCurdy injury. Remember that RU was down to seven players who could give significant minutes, and one of those (Junaid) really can't go more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time most games. In any event, if you look at the Louisville game and the second UConn game, you would see something similar to what happened last night. In the second UConn game, RU kept it fairly close until there about 10:00 to go, then UConn broke it open. Against Louisville, RU had a similar decline late in the game.

I was a little surprised by this, honestly, as RU usually is about as well conditioned as any team can be, but the pattern seems pretty clear. For better or worse, Stringer seems to have decided that expending energy on offense was not the way to go, and so she went with taking the air out of the ball. Maybe being more aggressive would have worked better, or maybe they would have ended up completely gassed anyhow. On the other hand, if Ajavon hadn't been so aggressive with some of her passes (and I'm thinking about a couple of sequences late in the first half that led to easy UConn buckets), maybe RU never gives up the lead.

Either way, they held one of the top offensive teams in the country 15 points below their season average and below their average shooting percentage, held the most dangerous player on the court to 7 shots and 7 points, and were tied with 3 minutes to go. You could do a lot worse, and nearly every other team has.

jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@ thatgagirl.......looking at it.....yeah.....you're right.....but man.....rutgers was dragging trying to keep up with it.....they really were dragging man.....but anyway.....you're right.....it was a set play.....and to tell the truth.....one that they ran several times during the game....my bad.....

Last edited by jaye on 04/02/08 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
jaye wrote:
you need to get off of her jock.....

Comments like these are why no one takes you seriously.

plenty of people take me seriously......if you don't.....i'll live......they don't always agree with me.....and that's allright.....nowhere in any of my posts did i speak negatively of maya.... you chose to read that into it.....what i don't take seriously is people with little or no objectivity.....and especially those that take offense at their favs being critized in any way.....and definitely thos that won't even wait til i actually critize them.....

i'm no dizzy teenager....i'm 58 and i've probably played ....watched and coached ball longer than you've been alive..... nobody takes me seriously.... Laughing

PostPosted: 04/02/08 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Looks like Maya is gonna have to throw one down to fire her teammates up! Very Happy

Speaking of Maya throwing it down, I wanted to share with all of you a video of Maya dunking that I took at the open practice before the first round. The video is a little shaky, but it's a pretty nice dunk that got the crowd fired up!

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the questions about RU's performance in the 2nd half, I thought this article from the RU student newspaper might be of interest. The gist is that CVS says that fatigue was a big factor, particularly on the defensive end.

As an aside, looking at the scores from the Elite 8, RU actually scored more than 4 teams and tied the number of points scored by LSU.

Here's the link: Too tired

jaye

PostPosted: 04/03/08 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i whole heartedly admit that thatgagirl was right and i was wrong about the cut play for maya.....i've watched it and the game again.....and it wasn't the only time the play was run.....i'm 58 and if i had a dime for everytime i've been wrong.....well....i'd have enough money to be a dream founding fan.... Laughing

but as to the rest.....that article is exactly what i've been saying about the composition of the game.....rutgers has no bench.....they play a swarming....energetic aggressive type of defense that their offense feeds off of.....they got tired......on their half court sets.....they stopped cutting and started standing....and matee wasn't the only one forced to chunk up shots with the clock running out.....and on defense the speed of swanier and montgomery in the second half kept them on their heels.....they got tired and just couldn't keep up.....add to that....the errors....whether fatigue related or not.....they didn't take care of the ball....

hat's off to uconn tho....i was really impressed with the game swanier played.....and not just because she's cute as all get out.....and the composure uconn showed.....i've been in trailing games and it's easy to get into a "oh well" mindset and just give up.....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: