RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greensboro Championship: (2) Rutgers vs. (1) UCONN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 04/01/08 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
Wow. I don't know how UConn pulled it off, but they did. A FINAL FOUR. It feels like forever. It hasn't even sunk in yet. That and my roommates think I have tourettes...

There is NO WAY that Maya will play that bad in the Final Four. I think she will come out with a vengence (hopefully)... And I also hope that Wiggins, as much as I LOVE HER, doesn't drop 40+ on us.

Heck no! There's no Carson wearing #5 for Stanford. Stanford doesn't play a 55 defense and run the clock down to 2 seconds and take away possessions. Maya should score 27.

I couldn't agree more. Carson, the 3x DPOY in the BE, did a HELL of a job on Maya. But, which was to my surprise, was the D UConn played on Prince...

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished watching the game. Congratulations to UConn. They played with a lot of guts and found a way to win with their star utterly contained.

I have to say that I was stunned by how well the RU strategy worked in the first 15 minutes. It's not clear to me what adjustments Geno made, but it certainly helped that Brittany Ray had foul issues. I have to admit I thought RU might just do it when they got back to up by 7, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Just finished watching the game. Congratulations to UConn. They played with a lot of guts and found a way to win with their star utterly contained.

I have to say that I was stunned by how well the RU strategy worked in the first 15 minutes. It's not clear to me what adjustments Geno made, but it certainly helped that Brittany Ray had foul issues. I have to admit I thought RU might just do it when they got back to up by 7, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I feel bad for you BeK, especially after the promise of last year's run.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Sorry BeK Sad

You know, I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be when I saw Rutgers lose. I've fallen in love with this team. They're just so tough. I think the reason why I'm not as sad about them losing tonight is because I know they will be back. C Viv is a great coach and a fighter. This team will be back to the Final Four before we know it. With a strong recruiting class coming in next year, there should be tons of fun in the RAC. You may be down now, but I have full confidence in this team heading forward.

Oh, and I think Kia Vaughn is the best post in the nation as far as staying out of foul trouble AND playing tough defense. I don't know how she does it.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just got back from stuff around town...glad to see that UCONN won. Those seniors deserved it.

Did anyone by chance record this?? I'll pay for a copy.

"Our greatest fear is not that we are in adequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - Nelson Mandela
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice thoughts. I find I'm not as sad as I expected I might be, either. Probably because they had to fight through key injuries even to get this far and had to play the #1 #1, I didn't really have the kinds of expectations I had at the beginning of the year.

That does not, however, diminish the white hot burning rage I feel at the tournament committee for the most ridiculous excuse for a bracket in a long time. It seems fairly likely to me that the bracketing actually decided two of the four FF teams.

(Meanwhile, on the RU board, the mandatory post-loss self-flagellation is well under way. UConn fans, in particular, will be happy to hear that certain members of the board appear to have concluded that RU will never win another game again.)

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskies make the gut check and pull out the win...it was looking too much like last year for the first 15:00....

i need a rest.

good luck in tampa, UCONN!

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Thanks for the nice thoughts. I find I'm not as sad as I expected I might be, either. Probably because they had to fight through key injuries even to get this far and had to play the #1 #1, I didn't really have the kinds of expectations I had at the beginning of the year.

That does not, however, diminish the white hot burning rage I feel at the tournament committee for the most ridiculous excuse for a bracket in a long time. It seems fairly likely to me that the bracketing actually decided two of the four FF teams.

(Meanwhile, on the RU board, the mandatory post-loss self-flagellation is well under way. UConn fans, in particular, will be happy to hear that certain members of the board appear to have concluded that RU will never win another game again.)

Couldn't agree more..Uconn and Rutgers should be playing each other in the FF. There was no way Rutgers was the last #1 seed...

BTW, Swanier got snubbed *sigh* good for Maya though, for speaking up. She really is really mature for a Freshman.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beknighted, I love you!!!!! For about one half I thought your post about Rutgers playing offense was not an April fools joke.

Please keep the posts coming, even though your team isn't in the tournament anymore....

PostPosted: 04/02/08 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the end of the game, I realized that I wasn't so much sad that Rutgers lost, but that I would never get to see this Rutgers team play again. And I'll really miss Carson in a Rutgers uni. *sigh*

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/02/08 6:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Monday night, just before the first of the Elite Eight games, ESPN put up a very interesting graphic showing that Maryland and Stanford had played each other only ONCE before, same for LSU/UNC, same for Tenn/Texas A&M, but that Rutgers and UConn had TWENTY SEVEN prior meetings.

The bracket was absurd. And while I love LSU, no way they should have been playing in the Sweet Sixteen on what was effectively a home court. How easily that problem and the Rutgers/UConn problem would have been solved by a switch of two teams.

BeK and Queenie: my sympathies to you and the other Rutgers fans this morning.

DivAAA

PostPosted: 04/02/08 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Connecticut and Tennessee no longer play one another. The greatest rivalry in women's college basketball, the game that is to women's hoops what the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue is to the casual, or non-sports fan, no longer exists at least not during the regular season.

The Huskies and Lady Vols can only possibly meet once this year ... in the national championship game. And they most likely will.

When Connecticut and Tennessee do meet in Tampa, it will be the most dramatic and tense battle in the two programs' shared history. All because of what has transpired in the past year.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23816561/site/21683474/

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/02/08 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Are you not upset at Stringer for getting so badly outcoached in the second half, and for letting Ajavon dribble away all but 5 seconds of the shot clock before forcing up a horrible shot on so many possessions? Or are you used to such shortcomings on her part by now?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/08 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mirage32 wrote:
Beknighted, I love you!!!!! For about one half I thought your post about Rutgers playing offense was not an April fools joke.

Please keep the posts coming, even though your team isn't in the tournament anymore....

To give credit where credit is due, that was njjosh's AF post. There was a little while in the first half when I also was thinking it might actually have been true.

jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

been a lot of armchair coaches commenting on what should have or should not have been done..... Laughing who's fault what was..... i'll add..... it wasn't as much stringers lack of an offensive scheme as it was her lack of a bench.....her players get tired late in the game and can't maintain the defense that their offense feeds off of.....then add to that that fatigue makes them careless with the ball....they don't cut as sharp to meet the ball.....and they start throwing lazy passes.....they didn't lose this game on lack of offense....they lost it on not taking care of the ball....

their offensive sets are decent.....they score in the halfcourt set just fine early in games....but that all breaks down if you can't take care of the ball....and really breaks down if there are no players moving.....late in games they deginerate into one player trying to make something happen.....while the rest stand and watch.....

as to matee.....she got them where they were.....was a huge part of their success.....you live and die on the backs of your greats....no one was doing anything and she was trying to carry them....when you're a guard and you have the ball....and no one is moving....what do you do? pick up your dribble so as to not have second guessers say you're dribbling too much....no one is moving..... no one is meeting the ball.....and then the time is running out.....how many choices do you have....

rutgers is never going to get any calls.....and stringer is always going to be critized.....and geno didn't outcoach stringer.....rutgers fatigue and swaniers' excellent play pulled his fat out of the fire.....

PostPosted: 04/02/08 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i just finished watching the game on tape (i had to miss it yesterday cause i had class Sad ) and while i'm obviously proud of the whole uconn team, ketia hitting those 6 free throws at the end to seal the deal made me even prouder to be a uconn fan and i still have a smile on my face that may not go away all day Very Happy. clutch players come through when it's needed most, and that's what she did Smile.

maya had a hard game, and i'd have to agree (at least so far in her career) about rutgers being her notre dame, but i give her all the credit in the world for playing hard even when her shots weren't falling and being there for some crucial baskets. i can't wait to see how she does in the final four:).

i can't really comment on c viv's coaching because i'm not much of an expert on rutgers and haven't watched them play very many teams other than uconn and tennessee, but i do have to say that some of the choices they made down the stretch really hurt them and let uconn pull away. my one comment about the coaching would be that i thought geno coached a great game tonight (i know i'm a bit biased Smile , but it's hard to deny it). like the commentators said at one point, the team that won this game survived as much as won, and i attribute a lot of uconn's second half comeback to choices made by geno, along with great players making great plays when it counted most. making the call for maya to take that 3 when she'd been in a shooting slump up until that point, and knowing that she could make it and that that was what she needed, that was yet another thing for me to add to the list of why i respect geno's coaching talent SO much.

aww, and geno and mel, so adorable Smile...that is why i love this team (nice avatar mercfan, as always Smile )

"Taurasi has boundless energy and is still -- even during the national anthem, she is bouncing side-to-side. She frowned when informed that she was actually a calming influence with her words. "I say it in a fiery way, though," the Phoenix Mercury guard said."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/21/AR2008082103333.html

"If there ain't basketball in heaven, then I ain't going." - Diana Taurasi

It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts. " - John Wooden

Phoenix Mercury 2007 WNBA Champions
jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if it was geno's plan for maya to take that three.....he must have told her with telepathy.....and the fact that the three went in was just chance....if it had missed people would have been talking about what a crappy idea it was for a player that hadn't hit jack all game taking an important shot like that.....

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
if it was geno's plan for maya to take that three.....he must have told her with telepathy.....and the fact that the three went in was just chance....if it had missed people would have been talking about what a crappy idea it was for a player that hadn't hit jack all game taking an important shot like that.....

Rolling Eyes

That is a set play that UConn has run ever since I been watching them. The shot went in by chance? Going by that then every shot put up is a "chance." Confused It can't be because Moore is a 40% shooter from three and finally got an open look at the basket right? She only had 7 field goal attempts the entire game, so it's not like she had been throwing up bricks all night like Montgomery or Ajavon. Good grief.

- Diana Taurasi
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

Any player...true story

But the likes of Holdsclaw..Taurasi..Parker..and Moore...(among others)are different types of players...no matter what their games has been like..you want them taking the big shot.

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
jaye wrote:

Any player...true story

But the likes of Holdsclaw..Taurasi..Parker..and Moore...(among others)are different types of players...no matter what their games has been like..you want them taking the big shot.

Don't forget about Swoopes and Thompson. lol. Laughing

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/02/08 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:

Confused

Moore shoots over 40% from three, and she was 2-6 from the floor up until that three-pointer. She was the right person taking that shot (unlike Montgomery, who went 1-9 from three in that game).

On the other hand, Matee Ajavon went 8-23--and a number of those shots went in by chance. She's shooting below 40% from the field for the year--yet took twice as many shots as the player who led RU to the Elite 8 (Carson).

I don't see how you can question the motives of one player and not another whose actions are more deserving of scrutiny.

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/08 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
jaye wrote:

Confused

Moore shoots over 40% from three, and she was 2-6 from the floor up until that three-pointer. She was the right person taking that shot (unlike Montgomery, who went 1-9 from three in that game).

As an objective matter, I agree that it wasn't unreasonable for her to take that shot. Her crummy game was not a result of bad shooting, but of not having the ball to shoot, and she is a very good 3-point shooter. I know that I figured she'd score pretty much every time she got the ball anywhere where a shot was possible.

However, I think a lot of people would have found it hard to distinguish between a crummy game caused by not having opportunities and a crummy game caused by shooting badly, and she would have been criticized, regardless of whether it was justified, if the shot hadn't gone in and if UConn had gone on to lose. It wouldn't have been fair, but if life were fair, a lot of things would be different.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/02/08 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

On the other hand, Matee Ajavon went 8-23--and a number of those shots went in by chance. She's shooting below 40% from the field for the year--yet took twice as many shots as the player who led RU to the Elite 8 (Carson).

The more I see of Essence the more I want her on the Lib, which is a 180 degree turn from how I felt a month ago. I love the fact that she wants the ball in crunch time. I like the fact that she knows the game very well and knows where the ball belongs in different given situations. I see a lot of Vickie Johnson in her, as I mentioned in another thread. A player who, once she fully develops, can have a consistently positive impact on the outcome of a game even while only scoring about 10 ppg.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/02/08 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Essence has displayed a number of offensive moves/tools that I didn't know she possessed in her arsenal. I think she or Quianna Chaney would be a great fit for NY at the #7 pick.

Mathies to LA 2013
jaye

PostPosted: 04/02/08 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
jaye wrote:

Confused

I don't see how you can question the motives of one player and not another whose actions are more deserving of scrutiny.

what motives did i question??.....if i questioned anything it was the idea that geno coached some magnificent game....and i'm looking at that sequence right now....it certainly was not a set play.....

at what point in my post did i critize maya.....props are being given to geno for directing maya to take the shot.....i dont believe he had much to do with it.....but simply stated if he had.....and the shot would not have gone in....oppinions would have been much different about the wisdom of it.....

she was having a crummy game.....she's not any of the players you guys mentioned.....she's a freshman....in the biggest game of her life.....and it was clearly getting to her.....she was making bad decisions and getting rattled all game.....that has nothing to do with her shooting avg....that she pulled herself together and buried the shot was admirable......but if the shot had not gone in.....and uconn had lost.....the story and the oppinions would have been a lot different.... that's just fact.....

and never said matee didn't blow it....i stated that her team was standing around looking and no one seemed to want to shoot....prince virtually dissapeared.....matee became careless with the ball....as did the whole rutgers team....and their defense disapeared with their fatigue.....

on another note.....what in the hell do they feed swanier and montgomery.....they've got jets.....late in the game they were flying up and down the court.....while matee and prince were gassed......man....

giving ones analysis of a game.....isn't dissing the players in it.....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: