RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

BREAKING NEWS FROM GREENSBORO!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:03 am    ::: BREAKING NEWS FROM GREENSBORO!!!!!!! Reply Reply with quote

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- If you believe Vivian Stringer, it never is too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

On the eve of her team's regional championship game against top-ranked Connecticut, the Rutgers women's basketball head coach announced that her team will play offense when it has the basketball. Stringer will put that offense on display for the first time tonight when the Scarlet Knights try to get to their second straight final four.

"I've been a head coach for more than 30 years and I have never won a national championship," said Stringer, who previously had coached Cheney State and Iowa to Final Fours. "I also never seem to get any respect from the selection committee or the NCAA in general. I awoke in the middle of the night last night and realized there was a reason for that. So I did some studying this morning and I'm going to throw some actual offensive sets out there tonight that might allow us to score points."

Stringer wouldn't say what texts she studied. But inquiries at Greensboro-area bookstores revealed that Stringer purchased the book "Basketball Offense for Dummies."

Stringer is only the third women's coach, along with Tennessee's Pat Summit and former Texas coach Jody Conradt, to amass 800 wins. Her teams have also been known for great defensive play, in particular the "55" scheme she has used at Rutgers.

But unlike those other two 800-win coaches, Stringer has not won a national title, losing in the title game in 1982 and 2007 and in the national semifinals in 1993. Critics have pointed to her teams' inability to score enough points to beat the other top teams this late in the season, and that so many of her postseason losses have come while her team held the opponent to under 70 points or even under 60 points.

"It's about time she saw the light," said Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma, winner of five national championships and Stringer's opponent tonight. "Playing against her teams is such a drag, even when you win. It's worse than trying to get Charde Houston to play hard consistently."

A spokesperson for the NCAA said that it will be watching tonight's proceedings closely. If this new-found "offense" works as Stringer claims, the NCAA may consider seeding and placing her team better in next year's tournament......

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS' DAY!!!!

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:09 am    ::: Re: BREAKING NEWS FROM GREENSBORO!!!!!!! Reply Reply with quote

Very good. It was even plausible until this line:

"If this new-found 'offense' works as Stringer claims, the NCAA may consider seeding and placing her team better in next year's tournament......"

sbjules

PostPosted: 04/01/08 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicely done, NJJ!! Very Happy

Orion

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:18 am    ::: Breaking news from Greensboro Reply Reply with quote

Happy April Fool's Day to you, as well.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: