RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Foster Has Plan for OSU to Ratchet up Tempo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayeRunner

PostPosted: 04/01/08 5:12 am    ::: Foster Has Plan for OSU to Ratchet up Tempo Reply Reply with quote

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/womensbball/stories/2008/03/30/osu_women30.ART_ART_03-30-08_C4_GE9PD77.html?sid=101

Quote:
"The whole Big Ten has to ask itself some questions," Foster said. "Where are we? Where do we want to be? Where do we need to be? We've started in another direction, and it's a necessity."

Quote:
"We started a process two years ago of becoming more athletic because the game is more athletic," Foster said. "That's where the future is.

Of course Jim Foster fails to realize that his inability to motivate his players to be mentally prepared to play the big games is a continued problem.

BBFan23

PostPosted: 04/01/08 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Foster said this six years ago when he was hired. He couldn't wait to come to OSU to get "athletes" who would love to play for the in state school. Well, guess what? Those in state players are going to UT, Duke, FSU, and LSU. His teams will always play his style and never will be close to those in the top half of the SEC or ACC.

He is just trying to appease the rumbles out there as people are calling for his head. His NCAA record at OSU is awful compared to their seeding and ranking, the attendance is worse than under Darsch and probably Burns, and people are just flat sick of him. OSU made a huge mistake when they signed him to his extension and now are stuck until he retires.

Stokes and Prahalis aren't going to make this team a running team. That is an absolute joke. (I think Prahalis is slower in foot speed than Jamie Lewis... I think the jury is out on how much she will play next season. Little is much quicker, faster, and stronger and there are only so many point guard minutes to go around).

Foster is not going to change... he talks the talk but never walks the walk. He would rather spend more time in tearing his team apart than changing his style.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/01/08 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, but look at OSU's performance relative to the rest of the B10. I see two points that may account for dismal performance:

1. A conference with some relatively young coaches.

I didn't do an exhaustive research on this, so I could be wrong, but didn't PSU, Illinois, MIST, and Michigan have new coaches this season? Purdue and Indiana have second-year coaches? Regardless of the coach's experience, that's six programs in transition/building. So who's the "class" of the conference this season? Iowa, OSU, and MN-- teams with veteran coaches. (Wisconsin and NWU ended up second tier, which is where they always end up.) The conference was 11-30 against the top 25. So the coaching and the status of the programs conference-wide had to have had an effect on competition in the conference.

2. Money. Again, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that UConn, UT, UNC, Texas, Maryland, and maybe Stanford and Duke ran women's basketball budgets in excess of $2 millions, and maybe approaching $3 millions. And much of that budget gets blown on recruiting. Which is why Illinois' best players in a generation (Parker, Pondexter-- to say nothing of Catchings or the McGee twins who played for USC), as well as other D1 caliber athletes (e.g., Devereaux Peters and Lindsay Schrader of Notre Dame) leave the state to play ball. Which is why most of Iowa's roster hails from Iowa and the midwest; why most of Illinois' roster hails from rural Illinois and the midwest; why most of Minnesota's roster is from Minnesota.

Simply put, no program in the Big Ten recruits nationally. That's a function of what the universities expect from their respective programs, and what they are willing to pump into them. I doubt there's any program in the Big Ten that tops $1.5 million. tutions don't have the money-- it's a matter of commitment. (On the other hand, most Big Ten schools hand their football programs blank checks, and look what that has gotten them.) I really think that if any school in the Big Ten decided to put the women's basketball program on a national footing, it could do so. But I don't think there is a commitment in the conference to do so. And, in keeping with my "conspiracy" mentality, I might even go so far as to say that I would not be shocked to learn that there is an "understanding" among conference schools about how much they will budget for non-football programs, so that no one school dominates the way Stanford, UT and UConn have dominated their conferences.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Yeah, but look at OSU's performance relative to the rest of the B10. I see two points that may account for dismal performance:

1. A conference with some relatively young coaches.

I didn't do an exhaustive research on this, so I could be wrong, but didn't PSU, Illinois, MIST, and Michigan have new coaches this season? Purdue and Indiana have second-year coaches? Regardless of the coach's experience, that's six programs in transition/building. So who's the "class" of the conference this season? Iowa, OSU, and MN-- teams with veteran coaches. (Wisconsin and NWU ended up second tier, which is where they always end up.) The conference was 11-30 against the top 25. So the coaching and the status of the programs conference-wide had to have had an effect on competition in the conference.

2. Money. Again, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that UConn, UT, UNC, Texas, Maryland, and maybe Stanford and Duke ran women's basketball budgets in excess of $2 millions, and maybe approaching $3 millions. And much of that budget gets blown on recruiting. Which is why Illinois' best players in a generation (Parker, Pondexter-- to say nothing of Catchings or the McGee twins who played for USC), as well as other D1 caliber athletes (e.g., Devereaux Peters and Lindsay Schrader of Notre Dame) leave the state to play ball. Which is why most of Iowa's roster hails from Iowa and the midwest; why most of Illinois' roster hails from rural Illinois and the midwest; why most of Minnesota's roster is from Minnesota.

Simply put, no program in the Big Ten recruits nationally. That's a function of what the universities expect from their respective programs, and what they are willing to pump into them. I doubt there's any program in the Big Ten that tops $1.5 million. tutions don't have the money-- it's a matter of commitment. (On the other hand, most Big Ten schools hand their football programs blank checks, and look what that has gotten them.) I really think that if any school in the Big Ten decided to put the women's basketball program on a national footing, it could do so. But I don't think there is a commitment in the conference to do so. And, in keeping with my "conspiracy" mentality, I might even go so far as to say that I would not be shocked to learn that there is an "understanding" among conference schools about how much they will budget for non-football programs, so that no one school dominates the way Stanford, UT and UConn have dominated their conferences.

I don't think it is accurate to say that no program in the Big Ten recruits nationally. How successful they are or have been is another question. Purdue's incoming class next season has two Indiana All-Stars (one of whom is Miss Basketball), plus a very athletic wing from Tennessee and a post player from Arkansas. Are the Tennessee and Arkansas players from far enough away to say that Purdue is recruiting nationally--or not? We have a back-up point guard on the bench from California and one from Louisiana. Our '09 class features a standout from South Dakota. I know that SV and Co. (along with a lot of other D1 programs) are after a player from Minnesota, as well as others outside Indiana. How far do they have to look to be considered to be recruiting "nationally?"

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, maybe it would be more accurate to say that no Big Ten program realistically competes for the top prospects nationwide. Look at the top players in wcbb today, and I rather doubt that any Big Ten team was on their short list-- Parker, an Illinois native, might have given lip service to Illinois-- I don't recall-- but I doubt that she ever seriously considered anywhere but UT. And I think one reason for it is the budgeting. The big programs in wcbb have the budget to recruit who they want. The Big Ten programs-- and many others around the country, to be sure-- probably must first draw up a "wish list" of recruits, then make priorities based on things like affordability of recruitment and likelihood of success. And I'm guessing a lot of the "A" list gets crossed off because of those factors. It would be an interesting experiment indeed, for a Big Ten school to bring in a proven coach-- like a Van Chancellor-- or even a Kevin Borseth-- and tell them: Your budget is unlimited. You have five years to bring us a national championship and make us a permanent power in wcbb."

PostPosted: 04/01/08 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Foster has a huge budget. His program loses over two million a year and the assistant and head coaches are paid quite nicely on a national level. He started at the $400,000 mark and is way above that figure now. The kids travel first class... they usually have charters except for the few bus games that are within 3 hours each season. Budget is not a problem at OSU... it is the coach.

Koopster

PostPosted: 04/01/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Well, maybe it would be more accurate to say that no Big Ten program realistically competes for the top prospects nationwide. Look at the top players in wcbb today, and I rather doubt that any Big Ten team was on their short list-- Parker, an Illinois native, might have given lip service to Illinois-- I don't recall-- but I doubt that she ever seriously considered anywhere but UT. And I think one reason for it is the budgeting. The big programs in wcbb have the budget to recruit who they want. The Big Ten programs-- and many others around the country, to be sure-- probably must first draw up a "wish list" of recruits, then make priorities based on things like affordability of recruitment and likelihood of success. And I'm guessing a lot of the "A" list gets crossed off because of those factors. It would be an interesting experiment indeed, for a Big Ten school to bring in a proven coach-- like a Van Chancellor-- or even a Kevin Borseth-- and tell them: Your budget is unlimited. You have five years to bring us a national championship and make us a permanent power in wcbb."

Actually Purdue has/had a rich history of recruiting the country back in the mid 90's with Linn Dunn...almost always a top ten class. Kristy Curry had the #1 class in 2000 with a couple of Texas players, another from Virginia, and a couple from Ohio. Part of the struggle at Purdue has been that we have had has been 5 coaches in a little over 10 years and violations. UCONN, UT, Stanford, and UNC have had the same coach in that time period and Duke did as well until last year...Texas also has had relative stability with the same coach and then getting a very good coach from Duke. Maryland hasn't had the same kind of success until recently and struck gold with the right hire. You are on to something when you talk about how much a school will invest into their budget...but using Purdue as an example as far as recruiting on a national level isn't quite correct.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 04/01/08 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew the head hunting would start with the 1st round loss in the Big Ten Tourney..........and then Foster just added to it with a one and done in the NCAA Championship.

It's time for change Embarassed

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
JayeRunner

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:
I knew the head hunting would start with the 1st round loss in the Big Ten Tourney..........and then Foster just added to it with a one and done in the NCAA Championship.

Nahhh... started the head hunting years ago. Twisted Evil

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, my first reaction when I saw that headline, I thought for sure this was an April Fool's.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: