RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Did I hear right last night? Pat voted FOR Geno for COY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:40 pm    ::: Did I hear right last night? Pat voted FOR Geno for COY? Reply Reply with quote

Question

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I heard too.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, your ears were not playing tricks on you.
braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find that interesting.

Although, I'm not surprised. As long as Pat and Geno have been coaching, they know who really is good and who is not. I would think that while the two may not like each other, they have immense respect for each other (moreso Pat for Geno) and that'd be why she did that?

Who knows.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

-shrug- Makes sense to me. You don't have to like someone to respect/acknowledge them for their ability. It happens all the time in regular life, no?
gpark33

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Although, I'm not surprised. As long as Pat and Geno have been coaching, they know who really is good and who is not. I would think that while the two may not like each other, they have immense respect for each other (moreso Pat for Geno) and that'd be why she did that?

Just from excerpts I've seen from Geno's book, it sounds like at the heart of him, he has a lot of respect for Pat too. I think he just likes to play the rivalry up a little more than she does.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was said by NL about five minutes after she also alleged that Michael Cooper doesn't know who he's drafting with the number one pick.

I'm not sure which I'd believe, considering the mouth that both came from.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
This was said by NL about five minutes after she also alleged that Michael Cooper doesn't know who he's drafting with the number one pick.

I'm not sure which I'd believe, considering the mouth that both came from.

Cooper has actually said this...we all know he's full of crap (well, all of us except Nancy apparently), but he said it.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read elsewhere that Summitt didn't have her glasses when she filled out her ballot and thought it said Roach of the Year and not Coach of the Year... Very Happy

Grumps

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I respect Pat Summitts knowledge of the game and how perceptive and keen she is, and thats just another example of that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/sports/ncaabasketball/01rutgers.html?ref=ncaabasketball

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, maybe Cooper isn't just posturing. With a choice of Parker and Fowles, and Leslie a short-timer, I don't know if I'd pick Parker-- can you name a better post player who's going to be in the draft in the next two to three years? Because I could name at least two great 3/4s who will be coming out in the next three years.

Second, forget about whether Pat actually voted for Geno. Given his talent, it's a dubious choice. You want a coach of the year? How about Gary Blair, who has done as much (as of this writing) with far less marquee talent? How about the coaches for Geo. Washington, or Louisville or Pitt, all of whom went further with less talent (and, to carry over from another thread, far less budget) than Geno has ever coached? I've never coached in my life, but I'd bet that I could take UConn's roster, do little more than roll out the balls at practice, and still have a winning record. Let's see Geno get to a Final Four when his best player is Sarah-Jo Lawrence or Angel McCoughtry-- that would be a COY performance.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
First, maybe Cooper isn't just posturing. With a choice of Parker and Fowles, and Leslie a short-timer, I don't know if I'd pick Parker-- can you name a better post player who's going to be in the draft in the next two to three years? Because I could name at least two great 3/4s who will be coming out in the next three years.

Second, forget about whether Pat actually voted for Geno. Given his talent, it's a dubious choice. You want a coach of the year? How about Gary Blair, who has done as much (as of this writing) with far less marquee talent? How about the coaches for Geo. Washington, or Louisville or Pitt, all of whom went further with less talent (and, to carry over from another thread, far less budget) than Geno has ever coached? I've never coached in my life, but I'd bet that I could take UConn's roster, do little more than roll out the balls at practice, and still have a winning record. Let's see Geno get to a Final Four when his best player is Sarah-Jo Lawrence or Angel McCoughtry-- that would be a COY performance.

But Sarah Jo Lawrence or Angel McCoughtry didn't get to the final four.
They didn't get to the final 8.

You know why he gets the talent he does, the budget he does? Cause he won with the little talent he had, and built the program up. Geno and Pat get great players because they are the best coaches.

And he got the award this year because despite losing 2 and a half starters (In fact, 1 starter is still in the starting lineup from the begning of the year. ) His team only lost one game, through arguably the best conference and a pretty tough schedule, and remained most of the year.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

You know why he gets the talent he does, the budget he does? Cause he won with the little talent he had, and built the program up. Geno and Pat get great players because they are the best coaches.

And he got the award this year because despite losing 2 and a half starters (In fact, 1 starter is still in the starting lineup from the begning of the year. ) His team only lost one game, through arguably the best conference and a pretty tough schedule, and remained most of the year.

Pat and Geno are great players, but neither of them got to the final four without blue chippers. Geno had one in his first final four team in '91 or '92-- I forget her name-- was it Kerry Bascomb? In '80s, when Pat won her first set of three titles, she had the top talent. Neither has taken a taken a team to the final four where their best players were of the caliber of the players I named. I stand by my original point, which is that many coaches do a great deal with less talent.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Pat and Geno are great players, but neither of them got to the final four without blue chippers. Geno had one in his first final four team in '91 or '92-- I forget her name-- was it Kerry Bascomb? In '80s, when Pat won her first set of three titles, she had the top talent. Neither has taken a taken a team to the final four where their best players were of the caliber of the players I named. I stand by my original point, which is that many coaches do a great deal with less talent.

Can you name a team who didn't have at least one player with top talent who got to the final four.

I stand by my point, they wouldn't get those players if they weren't the best coaches.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: