RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

E8 picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:33 pm    ::: E8 picks Reply Reply with quote

North Carolina vs LSU

It's all about the pacing here. If the Tar Heels can keep it uptempo they'll run away from the Lady Tigers. If LSU can slow it down, they've got a good shot at it. Truth is, nobody has been able to control the tempo against UNC this year. They've been under 75 points exactly once, against UConn when they scored 71, and nobody's beaten them without scoring into the 80s. LSU managed to reach that against Samford and Ole Miss, but not against top quality opposition. It seems more and more clear that the Valentine's Day Massacre in Knoxville was a fluke. Carolina wins comfortably.

Maryland vs Stanford

I want to pick Stanford here, but I just can't. Months of playing Slac-10 competition has dulled the once fine edge the Card enjoyed. Maryland has been tried by the ACC, so they're battle tested and ready. Big game experience will also be key. The young Stanford posts won't be able to handle Langhorne and Harper on this stage.

Tennessee vs Texas A&M

Who here is supposed to match up with Candace Parker? Michaeux is the only rotation player over 6', and she ain't got that kinda game. Get ready to hear Rocky Top about 8 billion times.

UConn vs Rutgers

The Hussies are banged up, and Rutgers will bang them up some more. Can the Scarlets get physical enough to take down the mighty UConn? I think so. Rutgers is on a mission, and their tournament experience will see them through to the next step.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only one that thinks the Aggies could upset Tennessee?

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

Possibly.

Seriously, I think all 4 of the #2 seeds can win. I just think that A&M is the least likely by a pretty good margin.

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/31/08 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

The thought terrifies me so I refuse to speak of it. Very Happy

ETA: Epsecially if the non-Parker players come out the way they did last night.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford, Uconn, Tennesse, LSU....I admit Uconn and Stanford may be a bit biased, but I do think Stanford has the more focused players..and that tends to win games. Uconn is not going to depend on bigs, but depend on the play of Swanier and Montgomery.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most likely upset - Stanford over Maryland.
Least likely upset - Texas A&M over Tennessee

My picks: Stanford, LSU, Rutgers & Tennessee.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Swoopes_Tompson_Comets22

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it me or who someone else LOVE a Stanford and Rutgers rematch?

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn, MD, LSU, UT.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers,TENN,STAN,UNC

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/31/08 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Carolina vs. LSU: Agree with pilight's take, while also adding that Fowles' size advantage is less significant in an up-and-down game. LSU will have more fans there, but I doubt that number will be significant enough to make much of a difference. It certainly won't be any worse than the crowds the 'Heels faced, and overcame, at Duke and Maryland this year. NC easily moves on, 78-63, as Van Chancellor learns once again that it's not so easy to win championships when you don't have Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes and Tina Thompson on your roster.

Maryland vs. Stanford: I talked about the experience factor as well as Langhorne & Harper's advantage in quickness and athleticism inside. Those will end up making the difference, even if you throw out the fact that something bad always seems to happen to Stanford at this point in the tournament. Terps pull it out in the final minute, 75-69.

Tennessee vs. Texas A&M: A&M doesn't have anyone who can match up against Parker, Anosike and Co. inside (who does?). And the Aggies don't have the outside shooting and halfcourt offensive game to overcome that. Tennessee wins in the biggest blowout of this round, 76-56.

UConn vs. Rutgers: Reports are that Charles and Montgomery are going to play. Maybe they won't be at 100%, but I don't think they'll be liabilities either. I've said for a while that Rutgers hasn't been the same team since they took it up the you-know-what from the officials in Knoxville in January. The Rutgers of that time could have (and did) beat UConn. This one won't - it will be the typical Rutgers postseason loss in which its stellar defensive play is undermined by the opponent's offensive rebounding and free throws and Vivian Stringer's offensive ineptitude. UConn, 62-47.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/31/08 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut VS Rutgers:

Rutgers' played a few clsoe games, and ever since the loss to Tennessee, they just haven't been the same. They don't have the depth to play their vaunted 55 press. Getting blown out by UConn in the regular season finale, and losing to Louisville in the Big East Tournament, this is simply not the same team anymore. While Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles may be injured, they'll be able to play through it (provided they play at all), and the senior squad (Swanier, Houston, Hunter) are just too hungry to lose, especially Charde and Brittany. UConn should win, I'd say by ten to fifteen points.

Maryland VS Stanford:

I remain firm in my opinion that Stanford should have been the number 1 seed over Maryland in this bracket. Yes, Stanford played in a lesser conference than Maryland, but Stanford is still one of the best. They have two players that can go off and have huge games in Wiggins and Appel. I don't know if the Maryland posts can contain Appel and Pederson. Stanford wins, five to ten points.

North Carolina VS Louisiana State:

North Carolina can win this easy if they feed Erlana Larkins, and their guards shoot well. LSU, on the other hand, starts five seniors, all with Final Four experience. If they play smart, feed Sylvia down low, and White/Chaney select their shots wisely, LSU will win. I think this will be a close game, possibly overtime. LSU wins.

Tennessee VS Texas A&M:

A&M is hot. They're routing teams, most recently Duke. They're on a terrific streak. However, Tennessee is the second best team in the nation, with the best player in college basketball in Candance Parker. Tennessee will be challenged early, may even trail at halftime, but Parker and Bobbit will pull this team together. Look for Angie Bjorklund to have a breakout game as Texas tries to contain Parker. Tennessee by 15.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU, MD, TN, Rutgers

kage

PostPosted: 03/31/08 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU, Stanford, UConn, TN. It's what I got in my bracket. I need all the help I can get with my bracket. Laughing
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got LSU, Stanford, Tennessee, and UConn.

- Diana Taurasi
gpark33

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU, Stanford, RU, TN

An_nic

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to go with UConn, Stanford, Tenn, LSU.

"Our greatest fear is not that we are in adequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - Nelson Mandela
bballfan

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
UConn, MD, LSU, UT.

Ditto.

An pilight, when did UConn change their name to the Hussies? Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan wrote:
An pilight, when did UConn change their name to the Hussies? Laughing

During the 2000 national championship run. Wink

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
LSU, MD, TN, Rutgers

DITTO! Very Happy

A happy heart makes the face cheerful.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:37 pm    ::: Re: E8 picks Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
North Carolina vs LSU

It's all about the pacing here. If the Tar Heels can keep it uptempo they'll run away from the Lady Tigers. If LSU can slow it down, they've got a good shot at it. Truth is, nobody has been able to control the tempo against UNC this year. They've been under 75 points exactly once, against UConn when they scored 71, and nobody's beaten them without scoring into the 80s. LSU managed to reach that against Samford and Ole Miss, but not against top quality opposition. It seems more and more clear that the Valentine's Day Massacre in Knoxville was a fluke. Carolina wins comfortably.

Maryland vs Stanford

I want to pick Stanford here, but I just can't. Months of playing Slac-10 competition has dulled the once fine edge the Card enjoyed. Maryland has been tried by the ACC, so they're battle tested and ready. Big game experience will also be key. The young Stanford posts won't be able to handle Langhorne and Harper on this stage.

Tennessee vs Texas A&M

Who here is supposed to match up with Candace Parker? Michaeux is the only rotation player over 6', and she ain't got that kinda game. Get ready to hear Rocky Top about 8 billion times.

UConn vs Rutgers

The Hussies are banged up, and Rutgers will bang them up some more. Can the Scarlets get physical enough to take down the mighty UConn? I think so. Rutgers is on a mission, and their tournament experience will see them through to the next step.

well, you're 0-2 so far.

let's hope your streak continues tomorrow. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2-0 so far Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2-0 for me too!!! GO RUTGERS!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
2-0 for me too!!! GO RUTGERS!!!!

No! UCONN!!!!

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FUCK! Mad Evil or Very Mad

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
kage

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go UConn and TN! 2-0. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: