RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spokane Championship: (2) Stanford vs. (1) Maryland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Stanford. Wiggins is really something.

Awfully tough for a team to score 87 points and lose.

What a difference between the two games played tonight!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thatGAgirl wrote:
Wiggins can't even compose herself. "I feel so stupid. I'm sorry America" Laughing

Gotta love it. She played her ass off.

Have to say, she was adorable. Pure, raw emotion...very happy for her.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
FS02 wrote:
I still think UCONN is better though.

That's an interesting consideration. I can't decide which team I hate more between UConn and Stanford, which might make it a fun game to watch. It would be kinda cool to see the Candace and Candice show again, though.

haha..these are the two teams I want to win..

I don't know whose better. Uconn was better in December..before they lost two players. (Don't forget, Thomas defended Wiggins the last time they played in the second half -holding Wiggins in check. And Greene went off in the second half. ) But now...I'm still not totally convinced, there are a lot of ifs. And the big if is "If Candice scores 40..we aren't winning that game"

YIPPEEEE!!!!!

Finally, the drought is over. My heart was pounding through that game, especially when Maryland started making it's run. Kristi decided to take over, but those two threes by Hones and Wiggins kept Stanford's composure.

Wow! I love how much Wiggins is in the moment. Great thing to see for all the seniors.

Maryland seniors, you will be missed in the college game. Good luck.

luvDhoops

gopherfan wrote:
I salute you Wiggins with two Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes That little drama fest I probably should've stayed a sleep for..

Very Happy

PRballer

I'm so thrilled for Candice Wiggins. I'm hopping on the Stanford train for Tampa.

Also really happy for Tara Vanderveer - in my opinion, one of the Top 5 coaches the women's game has had.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stanford.....have to admire CandICE and was happy to see JJ shoot lights out.....especially coming back from last year's ACL injury. Stanford did themselves (and the Pac-10) proud......not that I'm surprised.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stanford they played a hell of a game and couldn't miss.

OT: How bad was the production for this game? We missed back-to-back 3s. They had no idea Stanford beat Rutgers even though it was a memorable game. And one graphic said two teams from the same conference haven't met in the Elite since 2004. Last I checked Tennessee played Ole Miss in the Elite 8 last year.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

OT: How bad was the production for this game? We missed back-to-back 3s. They had no idea Stanford beat Rutgers even though it was a memorable game. And one graphic said two teams from the same conference haven't met in the Elite since 2004. Last I checked Tennessee played Ole Miss in the Elite 8 last year.

Yeah, I saw how they put that graphic up about Stanford not playing Rutgers. I thought, "These people don't know anything about women's college basketball." I think ESPN has to hire some Rebkellians, especially around tournament time to alleviate this.

jonnyss

PostPosted: 04/01/08 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

one bright spot in the coverage has been heather cox, whose interviews with candice after the games have been kind and respectful.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 04/01/08 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With this loss, Debbie Antonelli officially went on SUICIDE WATCH. Shocked Sorry, Debbie, but the ACC wasn't as dominant at the top as it's been in recent years. In a way, I'm glad the league won't be represented in this year's Final Four. Let someone else have a little face time.

Wiggins is a good kid. It's nice to see her go out with a BANG!

Mathies to LA 2013
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/01/08 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um, does anybody PLEASE have a copy of the game that they're willing to part with? I have Tim Tams (i.e biscuit crack) to offer!

ABOUT TIME. Candice Wiggins Shocked
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/01/08 3:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Pedersen making a name for herself tonight both on offense and defense. Her versatility is really a key for Stanford.

Pedersen, a frosh, has been the key to our success ALL year, but the dimwits liek Debbie A. didn't know it.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 04/01/08 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Congrats to hoop, JACKO, keegan and the other Stanford fans here.

An incredible offensive performance, by both teams really. Stanford was just somewhat better.

I just hope Stanford isn't happy with just making it there. They're good enough to win the national title, although UConn is a difficult matchup for them.

Hoop, enjoy the celebratory drinks tonight.

hey NJ thanks! Believe it or not, I KNEW we'd win. I had a great vibe about this team and Wiggins. I had the same feeling vs. RU and TN.

Great TEAM effort by JJ and Pedersen, a FROSH who deserves more attention.

loved proving Antonelli, ESPN, Lawson and MANY others wrong.

Whooaaa! See you in Tampa baby. I'm sure Tara and the team will be ready to play any team.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/01/08 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 11 years, Stanford returns to the Final Four

AP Photo/Elaine Thompson

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 04/01/08 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 04/01/08 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/08 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stanford on a well earned win.

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 04/01/08 6:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow, stanford...never woulda thunk they'd beat Maryland...

where did harper and langhorne disappear to in this game?

coleman and toliver...you all played your hearts out....

on the flip side, great to see Wiggins play so well, and I loved her excitement at winning...

now onto the RU game...git er dun for C Viv.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford was solid against MD. Congratulations to Candice Wiggins and her team. That was a well-deserved win... How cute was she in that post game interview? Very Happy

Oh, and what a preformance by Kristi Toliver. Shocked

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
jaye

PostPosted: 04/01/08 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

man what a game.....feel sorry for toliver.....wow she played her a** off.... shame someone had to lose this one..... d*mn i love womens' bball......

PostPosted: 04/01/08 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
man what a game.....feel sorry for toliver.....wow she played her a** off.... shame someone had to lose this one..... d*mn i love womens' bball......

I felt just a little, she has another year, and they do have a recent championship. I'm ready for a championship in the Pac-10.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
gpark33

PostPosted: 04/01/08 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Have to say, she was adorable. Pure, raw emotion...very happy for her.

Me too. My heart meted a little during her interview.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/01/08 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keys to the Game:

First, Rosalyn Gold-Onwude's defense on Toliver.

While Toliver scored a lot, I think that we saw Ros do something very important that I believe the commentators have talked about all season long. Kristi Toliver had to play East-West instead of North-South, which prevented her from truly getting the rest of her team into the flow of the offense, instead forcing her to take fade-away jumpers. Yes, she made a lot of those, but I think the effects of not getting Harper and Langhorne involved in the offense stemmed to other problems.

Langhorne, having the ball in her hands more often, is first of all likely to score - equally as likely as Toliver on her fade aways. But more importantly, it gives the Terps opportunities to create fouls on Jayne Appel. Taking Jayne out is a huge cog of Stanford's offense and defensive scheme. Maryland did a poor job of attacking her forcing the sophomore to make big decisions. Also, when it came time for Maryland to hit jumpers, they missed.

A lot will be said of how Stanford shot the lights out, but also they mixed those jumpers with driving baskets from Wiggins, Hones, Appel, and Pederson. Harmon got into the act as well. Keeping that balance offensively was a huge part of why Stanford was able to keep the Terps at bay.

Next, Jayne and Kayla prevented the Terps from going buck wild on the offensive glass.

Yes, Maryland won the rebounding battle, but they didn't have the second chance points they need to be successful against a team scoring like Stanford did. Marah Strickland was their leading O-rebounder, and while it was nice to see her have a good tournament, the posts should have been leading the charge. Stanford's team defense and rebounding ability is underrated, and considering when you play teams of Maryland's level, you can't expect to win in every category of the game - you just have to make the big plays at the right moments - which Stanford did.

Then, Marah Strickland defending Wiggins was a joke.

Honestly, what more proof do you need that Toliver and Coleman are not considered up to snuff defensively even by their coach. Strickland on Wiggins gave Candice the green light to do basically whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. Strickland fought hard through screens, and I know she battled defensively, but she was so overmatched it wasn't even funny - unless you're a Cardinal fan (ah thank you!) - then it was pretty much glorious.

Finally, one year removed from ACL injuries, Ros and Hones are showing they can be so much more than role players, and more importantly, that the injuries are well behind them.

Watching Ros and Hones in the beginning of the season was like watching players who really wanted to be confident in themselves, but couldn't be. Hones especially wasn't moving well, and while she is still incredibly deliberate with her movements, she was really out of whack.

Now, Ros is showing her speed again and taking on major defensive assignments in Zellous and Toliver. Hones - the most unlikely person to turn the ball over left in this tournament - is really in the flow of the game and played 40 minutes last night with her decision making and conditioning actually appeared better in minute 35 as it did in minute 2.

A couple final notes:

Pederson and Appel are the best post duo in the country - hands down - as a sophomore and a freshman.

Wiggins show of pure emotion is so refreshing. I love seeing people act like real people with real feelings. I am so impressed. She is such a super-star.

Harper and Langhorne will be missed. Harper had some cheap calls made on her, which didn't help Maryland's cause, but showing that jumper was a great way to end her career. Hitting that three may have given her a bit of an idea for the future.

Coleman never really got to make her mark on this game, and that is something dictated by Toliver not letting her play with the ball in her hands at all. Look at how Stanford plays - everyone on their team touches the ball. It's not dominated by any one person.

And last of all - Thank you to all who said nice things about this team. I've stood by the idea that this is a Final Four and Championship caliber team. I'm really pumped to see their rematch with UConn, but wish both squads were full to the brim with all of their talented players. It feels good to be a Stanford fan right now which I owe completely to Kristen Folkl - thank God for volleyball players.

PostPosted: 04/01/08 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
With this loss, Debbie Antonelli officially went on SUICIDE WATCH. Shocked Sorry, Debbie, but the ACC wasn't as dominant at the top as it's been in recent years. In a way, I'm glad the league won't be represented in this year's Final Four. Let someone else have a little face time.

Wiggins is a good kid. It's nice to see her go out with a BANG!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: