RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pam Ward and Nancy Lieberman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:43 pm    ::: Pam Ward and Nancy Lieberman Reply Reply with quote

They're so awful they'd make a dead man cry...

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy made some good points in the first half of the Duke game, about ball entry and the appropriate angle, ball denial, screens, and the analysis of the defensive schemes. But it was downhill after that.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they're "best in show." Wink

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get the sense that Nancy is aware of the strategy of the game in the abstract sense, but not so much with the specific- so as long as you're not asking her to name players or teams, you might be good. But if you ask her to provide facts that require research, or anything that requires analyzing people and emotions, fuhgeddaboutit.

I still can't believe they assigned her to the pod with Nebraska in it. Conflict of interest, much? Did they want to give her an excuse to talk about DeForge? Keeeeee-rist.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My big problem with them is the same one I have with most WCBB announcers, save Sean McDonough (too bad he no longer does WCBB for ESPN). They get too caught up in hyping, if not outright sucking up to, the top few players and coaches, and they seem to forget about the game at hand and the context of the moment in that game.

This game could have been tied with a minute to go, ND in position to pull off the biggest upset of the tournament and perhaps its biggest win since they won the '01 national title. And instead of analyzing what each team was doing and what they should do in this situation, they'd be waxing poetically about Candace Parker and Pat Summit. As if we weren't aware of their greatness already.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
My big problem with them is the same one I have with most WCBB announcers, save Sean McDonough (too bad he no longer does WCBB for ESPN). They get too caught up in hyping, if not outright sucking up to, the top few players and coaches, and they seem to forget about the game at hand and the context of the moment in that game.

This game could have been tied with a minute to go, ND in position to pull off the biggest upset of the tournament and perhaps its biggest win since they won the '01 national title. And instead of analyzing what each team was doing and what they should do in this situation, they'd be waxing poetically about Candace Parker and Pat Summit. As if we weren't aware of their greatness already.

X____________

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Nancy made some good points in the first half of the Duke game, about ball entry and the appropriate angle, ball denial, screens, and the analysis of the defensive schemes.

True, and she did an excellent job praising Texas A&M (not that I have a problem with that at all).

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But it was downhill after that.

Tell me about it. She and Pam don't seem to understand that Candace is already taken. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/31/08 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But it was downhill after that.

Tell me about it. She and Pam don't seem to understand that Candace is already taken. Wink[/quote]

Oh, SNAP!!! (goin' old school on ya -- but you made me grin)

PostPosted: 03/31/08 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:

Thanks for this. You speak for me for sure and I think for many others.

The way I see it is it's as though Pam Ward and Nancy Lieberman and most other announcers think they're doing a morning sports talk show. They just go off on these birdwalks and don't cover the game that's right in front of them and that we're trying to follow. Talking about another game ("the second game in our ESPN2 doubleheader") while there's play on the court really, really devalues the present game.

Gym Rat

PostPosted: 03/31/08 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="thesixthwoman"]
njjosh wrote:

Seriously, Sean McDonough? He is awful and a jerk on top of it. He had no interest in Women's basketball and it showed on the air.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:

Sean McDonough is by far one of the best play by play guys ever. He is still a very much missed presence from his days calling games for the Boston Red Sox.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gym Rat wrote:

Seriously, Sean McDonough? He is awful and a jerk on top of it. He had no interest in Women's basketball and it showed on the air.

Really, I thought the few games I heard him on he did a great job.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Tell me about it. She and Pam don't seem to understand that Candace is already taken. Wink

I would think that type of "humor" would be less than welcome on a board dedicated to women's basketball.
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/31/08 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Doris Burke so much as walks past a car in the parking lot, it's time to get out the jumper cables. I've never heard anybody who could suck the energy out of something that is supposed to be exciting and fun as that woman.

for all their flaws, I'll take Nancy and Pam anyday.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we would be lucky to have mcdonough doing WCB again.

he is the best all-around sports announcer today.

i love how great plays aren't even addressed because of the incessant chatter by the broadcasters.

it took patrick and burke (yet another mediocre team) a couple of minutes to address the excellent block by MM yesterday.

wtf will espn learn we don't give a shit about the off-the-court crap- we're watching the game for crissakes.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
If Doris Burke so much as walks past a car in the parking lot, it's time to get out the jumper cables. I've never heard anybody who could suck the energy out of something that is supposed to be exciting and fun as that woman.

for all their flaws, I'll take Nancy and Pam anyday.

at least nancy smiles. i think that's against doris' religion or something.

PostPosted: 03/31/08 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their constant talking is bad enough but at least you can mute that if needed...What burns me up is when they show the bench, a coach, someones parents, or do an interview with another coach while live action is going on...They can at least show us the games...

Grumps

vickilz

PostPosted: 03/31/08 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy, Pam, Doris and a few other announcers seem to be stuck back about 20 - 25 years ago when broadcasts of women's b-ball was rare. Back then I think they tried to capture viewers by talking a lot about off court stuff. It was like the game that was being played was second or third priority. Tell the viewers about the players, coaches, their families, hobbies etc any and every tidbit you could imagine.

Women's b-ball is in a very different place than it was back then. People are watching THE GAME and want to hear about THE GAME. The announcers need to get on track and announce the game. Color commentary shouldn't be about adding to the play by play of what is happening on the court. I hate that they discuss hairstyle more than strategy! Does anyone really care why Abby Wainer changed her hairstyle at half time?

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/31/08 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vickilz wrote:
Does anyone really care why Abby Wainer changed her hairstyle at half time?

The extended discussion of Abby's hair, and whether or not a change in style would get her out of her slump, was downright embarassing. They actually showed us a split screen with the headband look on one side and the bun on the other.

Maybe Glamour magazine would sponsor some games if the announcers would do a regular Fashion Dos and Don'ts routine. Rolling Eyes

(the inaugural segment would of course be headlined by Sylvia Hatchell. Oh yeah.)

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/31/08 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I would think that type of "humor" would be less than welcome on a board dedicated to women's basketball.

just asking -- are you objecting to the fact that it reflects on Candace's looks or the fact that it acknowledges multiple sexualities?

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The announcers for the UConn vs ODU game could not get the players names right for ODU. Really terrible. Also, at end of game they stated that
the 15 point margin was "closest" ODU came to UConn. NOT CORRECT.
Cant remember their names but seem to recall the guy was Mike something?

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

suemar wrote:
The announcers for the UConn vs ODU game could not get the players names right for ODU. Really terrible. Also, at end of game they stated that
the 15 point margin was "closest" ODU came to UConn. NOT CORRECT.
Cant remember their names but seem to recall the guy was Mike something?

Mike Patrick and Doris Burke.

Speaking of Patrick, who is announcing the F4 this year?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
at least nancy smiles. i think that's against doris' religion or something.

Doris' front teeth are cemented together. she can only move her lips, but not open her mouth. watch her sometime, then tell me if you agree. Wink

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Speaking of Patrick, who is announcing the F4 this year?

It will be Mike and Doris.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least the discussion of Abby's hair has an arguable analog to big-time sports-- baseball is filled with stories about players' superstitions to get them out of slumps. I kind of took that talk in that vein-- Pam and Nancy were talking about the hair with the same degree of tongue-in-cheek that Joe Buck might talk about rally caps.

And I agree with the poster who said that Doris and others are out of touch with what the viewers are interested in. I think that, years ago, when almost every viewer was a "casual" viewer because televised games were few and far between, the announcers had to fill up the time with personal interest stories because otherwise the players were just ciphers-- in most men's games at most levels, most viewers know who most of the players are and where they came from, etc. Not so the women's game-- at least not way back when. Nowadays, I think it's different. I think that most of the people who are tuning in are tuning in for the game, and probably have some advance notice of at least who the major players are.

But since we're criticizing the announcers for their lack of basketball talk, maybe we should turn it back on them: At the beginning of the game, NL had on a tailored jacket, but at half time, she had it off. But when they came back at the end of the half, she had it back on again. Was that hot flashes? Or did the producer in the truck tell her to get back with the more business-like look? And what about Carolyn Peck the other night? What was with the come-get-me dress and the bling? Did she have a date after the game?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: