RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oklahoma City Semifinal: (3) Duke vs. (2) Texas A&M
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/08 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee should win both tonight and on Tuesday by double digits. Neither ND nor A&M have the frontcourt strength, athleticism and depth to outlast Tennessee for 40 minutes. And A&M isn't a good enough outside shooting team to make up for that.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/30/08 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Tennessee should win both tonight and on Tuesday by double digits. Neither ND nor A&M have the frontcourt strength, athleticism and depth to outlast Tennessee for 40 minutes. And A&M isn't a good enough outside shooting team to make up for that.

x_______

Shoots&Scores

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:00 pm    ::: Nancy Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Is it just me or is listening to Nancy getting more and more like hearing your Grandma's stories?

Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. They're just gushing over Franklin. Thomas is out of the game (apparently) and in the locker room. Updates please or at least focus on the game.
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

old clip of Marianne Stanley Shocked

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

When I first looked up (still concerned about the baseball sized hail falling in OK), I thought she was flipping someone off for a second. Wink

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vols may win; it all depends on who wants it most and which team plays like they want it. Duke played like they wanted it for a few minutes, some teams don't give up until the end; Duke is not one of those teams.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone tell Pam and Nancy to suck eggs. Ktnx.

Mathies to LA 2013
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"How did you take on that big Duke team" Should have said "Was that Duke we played? Could have fooled me"

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

When I first looked up (still concerned about the baseball sized hail falling in OK), I thought she was flipping someone off for a second. Wink

If that was a clip of Marianne Crawford in her playing days, she might have been. Woman took no shit from anyone.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Why doesn't Abby try driving the lane?"

Why doesn't Nish drive the lane any more?

Why doesn't Jasmine drive the lane since she's proven she's VERY good at it?

Maybe because with this offense, the lane is totally clogged up. Maybe because this offense has NO screens in it. Maybe because the guards were told they HAD to pass it in to Chante even when she had three defenders draped all over her.

Maybe the tractor offense doesn't work any better in March than it did in December...

~rAf
Sass

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forget who Duke was playing last week, but the announcers said that some players have been waiting since February to get an appointment to talk to the coach. "And without an appointment, you don't talk to coach."

Anyone else see that?

And what is up with that??

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
kage

PostPosted: 03/31/08 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the announcer say that? I only read it here by ... raf, I think?
sbjules

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
I forget who Duke was playing last week, but the announcers said that some players have been waiting since February to get an appointment to talk to the coach. "And without an appointment, you don't talk to coach."

Anyone else see that?

Wow. What indeed is up with that!

Sass

PostPosted: 03/31/08 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Sass wrote:

Anyone else see that?

Wow. What indeed is up with that!

I would love to know.

- Run-DMC
sbjules

PostPosted: 03/31/08 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I picked Duke in the bracket but I can't believe I did that in retrospect. I've watched TX A&M a lot this year & like them a lot, so what was I thinking!!!

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/31/08 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever is happening at Duke - it's not cute.

But if you go to their fan boards, you'd think the sky is falling. (Lots of flailing, dramatic posts). As a Duke fan, I understand it's been a tough year, but I've been more than willing to give P a chance. Granted, I'm also not that close to the program, so I'm not privy to inside information. But it doesn't sound great.

There are some issues with McCallie's attitude. She has never been a player's coach, nor does she come across as particularly warm - and it's interesting because her mentor, Joe Ciampi at Auburn, was also known for being gruff/disassociated with his players off the court. I immediately thought of comments made in the press by former AU player Nicole Louden on the difference between Fortner and Ciampi being that Nell actually cared about the players' full lives - off an on the court. So, my immediate connection was "Well, there's Joanne learned how to manage the coach-player relationship."

There are some issues with her coaching. I've seen the team play on TV a few times, and I think the trouble starts at the point guard position (i.e. no natural PGs), but more fans have said it has to do with their horrible, boring, not-intelligent offense. Gail's best teams at Duke were great with ball movement, and the few times I've seen the 07-08 team play, I've seen horrible ball movement.

Bottom line: this replacement is not the type of coach Gail Goestenkors is or was for this Duke team. Now, outsiders will say Gail wasn't a great tourney coach (which is an "eh" argument, IMO), but it's been a tough transition.

Still, it's too early to turn on P and the entire program, again, in my opinion. P had a nice Michigan State team in the Finals a couple of years ago that seemed hard-nosed, fundamentally sound, poised, confident. It remains to be scene if P can keep the athletes that will compete with North Carolina, Maryland and other SEC powers.

I would say the team did about as expected this season with the loss of their senior leaders, though I'd hoped they would overachieve and make it to the Elite 8.

With some recruits who can help them in the backcourt next year, I think we'll see an improved Duke team, great recruits still coming in, and a happier fan base. Despite what a lot of Duke fans are saying about P, at least she took the women's team to the Sweet 16 this year and has kept that 11year streak alive.

That said, congrats to Texas A&M and Gary Blair. I hope they take down the Vols.

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/31/08 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the Tennessee - TAMU game:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/mar/31/hair-debate-should-liven-up-nfl-meetings/

Quote:
Brown's Take: Former Lady Vol assistant coach Al Brown (1996-2002), now on Duke's staff with Joanne P. McCallie, saw enough of the Aggies' defense to last him a while. He still doesn't think it will be an issue for Tennessee.

"Those (A&M) kids played hard, played a good game and certainly took us out of everything we wanted to do," he said. "But they won't be any match for Tennessee.

"They're just not talented enough to play with Tennessee. UT has a great cast of players and then they have the best player (Parker). In basketball, if you have the best player, you're going to win most games. She is so much better than anybody they have, they can't match up with her."

Sass

PostPosted: 03/31/08 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy crap, PRBaller. That's a helluva explanation, but I appreciate it.

- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: