RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Doris Makes a Point V. 2.0 - thanks pilight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:44 pm    ::: Doris Makes a Point V. 2.0 - thanks pilight Reply Reply with quote

Men's and Women's Final Fours in the same place. Discuss.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the dumbest idea ever.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I don't think this is too bad of an idea. The people who pay to watch the men may also watch the women.

I assume it'll be like

Day 1: Men's Final Four match
Day 2: Women's
Day 3: Men's
Day 4: Women's
break
Day 5: Men's Championship
Day 6: Women's Championship

Or switch them around so the women go first, whichever. The fans of the women's games will have nothing to do on the day offs, so they watch the men's game, more ticket sales. And vice versa.

I don't see why this would be a problem.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The women's FF isn't the problem. The real [attendance] problem exists during the first four rounds.

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in 1989, the men's F4 was in Seattle (Sat/Mon), and women's F4 was in Tacoma (Fri/Sun). I actually liked that weekend as I went to both, but of course Tacoma is too small for the women now. I think it would be tough to have the same venue given the practices and logistics.

Pretty good local support here in Spokane. A lot of Gonzaga and WSU fans, see many more men which is a nice change.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/08 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Actually, I don't think this is too bad of an idea. The people who pay to watch the men may also watch the women.

The men's and women's F4 both sell out huge venues now. Combining them would reduce the number of people getting to see both.

As for Doris' concept that it will expose the game to more of the first tier media or impress Colin Cowherd and similar morons, that's a crock. They'll still ignore the games and spout off their ignorant opinions, but they'll also get to use the "forcing it down our throat" BS.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that being in close proximity, as opposed to being in the same city, could be useful.

That way, anyone who wants to "double-dip" can do so as affordably and easily as possible, but the events remain separate and important in their own right.

I would prefer if the Women's Basketball season were moved up completely one week on the front end and the back end. That way, the women's Final Four can be even more separate from the men's and it would also give the WNBA an extra week to play with on their end with scheduling.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's pretty foolish, too -- in the male dominated media world, covering women's bball is seen as a demotion and/or a waste of time. No one's going to change their opinion by giving them the opp. to watch a final four (gads - imagine if they had to watch LAST years! Poke my eyes out NOW)

Building media coverage is about coaches and SIDs being proactive and creative. The media needs to be wooed -- and babysat a bit. That takes time, energy and patience.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This discussion was actually "started" by Christine Brennan in USA Today, as Doris mentioned (and which yours truly posted in my so-called blog on March 20th. (I'm sure someone posted a link before, but just sayin')
See here

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/30/08 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with pilight - dumb idea. The women will be upstaged. Let them have their own event.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/08 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
I think it's pretty foolish, too -- in the male dominated media world, covering women's bball is seen as a demotion and/or a waste of time. No one's going to change their opinion by giving them the opp. to watch a final four (gads - imagine if they had to watch LAST years! Poke my eyes out NOW)

Building media coverage is about coaches and SIDs being proactive and creative. The media needs to be wooed -- and babysat a bit. That takes time, energy and patience.

It also needs someone or something compelling enough (and in the right ways) to bridge that gender gap. Someone whose talent, style of play and personality can appeal to not just the niche fans of WCBB, but to everyone.

Diana Taurasi, love her or hate her, might have been such a player.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/30/08 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad idea. Enough said.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand all of your points and I do agree actually, but the way I see it, this will generate more interest for the women's game if the men's fans watch the women. Maybe they'll end up interested in the women's game, and that'll overall draw more interest, and people can finally shut up about women's basketball being an inferior version of basketball.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They won't watch the women's though.
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think it's a bad idea. A logistical pain in the ass? Sure. But a bad idea? No. Not necessarily.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight is right, for the (independently valid) several reasons he gives. If you don't believe him, ask an event planner.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
The women's FF isn't the problem. The real [attendance] problem exists during the first four rounds.

X____________________________

mabell3368

PostPosted: 03/31/08 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone keeps bringing up logistics. Stop and think about it. The reason that the NCAA will never schedule both Final Fours for the same city is because of hotel and practice space. Only Las Vegas and New York City might have the room to host a nightmare scenario like that. As someone else said, attendance at the Final Four is not the problem. The NCAA consistently sells them both out without cross-pollination.

Dream all you want about additional exposure. Men's basketball analysts will never stop to watch because of their built-in prejudice against the women's game. You and I find the dunk to be boring. They worship it. They call our game slow, we see pure basketball. They wax eloquent about "Diaper Dandies", (God, I hate the term and anything else that loudmouth Dick Vitale says) we see spoiled brats who won't honor a commitment to save their lives.

I say, keep them away from our game!

PostPosted: 03/31/08 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
Someone keeps bringing up logistics. Stop and think about it. The reason that the NCAA will never schedule both Final Fours for the same city is because of hotel and practice space. Only Las Vegas and New York City might have the room to host a nightmare scenario like that. As someone else said, attendance at the Final Four is not the problem. The NCAA consistently sells them both out without cross-pollination.

Dream all you want about additional exposure. Men's basketball analysts will never stop to watch because of their built-in prejudice against the women's game. You and I find the dunk to be boring. They worship it. They call our game slow, we see pure basketball. They wax eloquent about "Diaper Dandies", (God, I hate the term and anything else that loudmouth Dick Vitale says) we see spoiled brats who won't honor a commitment to save their lives.

I say, keep them away from our game!

Not all feel that way, I for one love dunks if you're throwing it down like Amare Stoudemire.. I love men's Basketball as much as I love the ladies, maybe because I'm a guy (I don't know).

PostPosted: 03/31/08 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
Men's basketball analysts will never stop to watch because of their built-in prejudice against the women's game. You and I find the dunk to be boring. They worship it. They call our game slow, we see pure basketball. They wax eloquent about "Diaper Dandies", (God, I hate the term and anything else that loudmouth Dick Vitale says) we see spoiled brats who won't honor a commitment to save their lives.

Have you actually bothered to watch a men's game or listened to the analysts?

Jay Bilas used to do color commentary for the WNBA.
Dick Vitale regularly mentions Summitt, Geno, and the top women's players...during men's games.
Mike Patrick does both men's and women's games.
Brad Daugherty mentions women's statistical records when the situation arises (e.g., asked if he knew the all-time leading scorer at Duke when JJ Redick was going to break the record, and he responded by saying Alana Beard for the women, Johnny Dawkins for the men).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: