RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Doris Makes a Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:11 pm    ::: Doris Makes a Point Reply Reply with quote

I liked Burke's point about the business-like mentality of Maya Moore.

Does anyone else think that it was a slight jab at Candace Parker?

I will say that Moore's "next-play" attitude makes her much easier to like than Parker who has to yell every time she gets a block or an and-1.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:15 pm    ::: Re: Doris Makes a Point Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Nope. Doris is direct with her criticism. She ripped Brenda Frese a new one last week for what she perceived as "poor defensive effort" from Frese's team.

Mathies to LA 2013
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:22 pm    ::: Re: Doris Makes a Point Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Nope. Doris is direct with her criticism. She ripped Brenda Frese a new one last week for what she perceived as "poor defensive effort" from Frese's team.

I only thought it was interesting because she made this comment following the conversation regarding the Wade trophy excluding freshmen. I saw it as an intriguing segway because I felt like the presence of Candace Parker was felt in that conversation even though she was never truly mentioned.

Also, she made commentary on popping the jersey and needing attention - though I should definitely comment that Diana Taurasi is every bit as relevant on that note as Parker could ever be.

Just watched the piece on Geno and his "Stars." I liked it very much actually, but the final statement is clear - Maya let's her game do the talking.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted: 03/30/08 2:11 pm ::: Doris Makes a Point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I liked Burke's point about the business-like mentality of Maya Moore.

I agree with this statement as well.

I first noticed the "business-like mentality" with Rutger's Prince last year. She'll make spectacular plays and then go about her business. No showboating, no jersey-popping, no foul mouthing off and no stare downs, maybe'll the occasional pump fist, clapping of hands and some other positive body language movement when she does good things on the court.

However, I hope it's not a slight jab at Candace Parker because she spewed her crush-like obssessional praises about Taurausi's "swagger" when Taurasi "popped" her jersey, intentionally shoved/bumped players (to intimidate them) and 'cussed' opponets when she made plays.

Burke would be a hypocrite if it was a jab at Candace especially how she praises Hornbuckle for her "swagger" as well.

Mirage32

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP3 immediately came to mind. Watch UT tonight and you will see all of those behaviors exhibited, usually after every basket she makes...

It is what it is, and certainly as a UCONN fan it must be admitted that DT3 did a lot of the same things. It's easy to not be bothered when its your team winning 3 NC's in a row.

Maya Moore's matter of fact, business like demeanor is just refreshing. It also helps UCONN get back on defense and run out on offense faster than any team in the country.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:33 pm    ::: Re: Doris Makes a Point Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

I only thought it was interesting because she made this comment following the conversation regarding the Wade trophy excluding freshmen. I saw it as an intriguing segway because I felt like the presence of Candace Parker was felt in that conversation even though she was never truly mentioned.

Also, she made commentary on popping the jersey and needing attention - though I should definitely comment that Diana Taurasi is every bit as relevant on that note as Parker could ever be.

Just watched the piece on Geno and his "Stars." I liked it very much actually, but the final statement is clear - Maya let's her game do the talking.

You know..people say they like the fact that Maya is business like, shows no emotion.

But that's part of the fun, that's part of the personalities of the players. Some do, some don't. They put on a show.

I don't like Parker's on court personality, but it's certainly part of her show..and part of what people watch. There's a pro mentality there. I have no problem with Players wearing their emotions on their sleeves.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like the whole showboating stuff which is really different than celebrating your play, but I'm pretty sure others like it. Now if Doris is taking a (slight) jab at Parker, yeah, she's one to talk. That would be a freaking double standard. But if it was merely a jab at the Wade Trophy voting committee for not including freshmen in the selection process, we will all agree and be glad she mentioned it.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the ridiculous notion of having the women's F4 at the same site as the men's.

I don't see Moore's or Parker's on-court demeanor as good or bad. Plenty of successful players have done it both ways.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I first heard her say it, Candace Parker didn't even come to mind for me. I just thought she used the terms to illustrate what Moore is not. It's no secret that she liked Taurasi and her "swagger", so I didn't think it was a slight on Parker at all. Just refreshing to maybe see something a little different.

IMO, it's just all about people's personal preferences. I'm not a like a huge fan of Parker or anything, but it's obvious that her style and swagger work for her. But there's also nothing wrong with letting your game do the talking.

<----------------- As you can see, either way can work for me Very Happy

- Diana Taurasi
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yo, GA

1) love the quote

2) Have not forgotten the pledge to support purchasing tickets for a Youth Org. for the Dream. Contact me when you have any thoughts/possiblities

3) If all goes right, I'll be in Hotlanta for the Liberty-Dream game.. I mean, the American Alliance Theater in Education conference -- yah, right.

Anyhoo -- any suggestions on wicked cheap hotels?

me

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: