RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greensboro Semifinal: (5) Old Dominion vs. (1) UCONN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:45 am    ::: Greensboro Semifinal: (5) Old Dominion vs. (1) UCONN Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/preview;_ylt=Av2E1iP71UxyWsSl2jKNKKlMvrYF?gid=200803300129
Quote:
After claiming its 17th consecutive Colonial Athletic Association title, Old Dominion advanced out of the NCAA tournaments opening weekend for the first time since 2002, when its run to the regional finals was ended in rather lopsided fashion by UConn in the teams only previous meeting in the NCAAs.

I had a reporter ask me the other day what it was like to be back. Im not so sure that we ever went away, Larry said. Certainly, to go back to the (round of) 16 kind of solidifies your presence in the top 20.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember that 2002 game. ODU outscored UConn in the second half, the only half that Hussie team came out on the short end of all year.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn 78-59. Closer than the regular season meeting, but ODU doesn't have the horses to stay with the Huskies for 40 minutes.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore and Houston hot early. Huskies doing most of the damage so far on the inside. ODU playing pretty well though. They've been successful on dribble penetration. UConn needs to tighten up that perimeter D.

Moore just hit another 3! She's got 10.

28-22 Huskies w/9:36 left in the first half.

- Diana Taurasi
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's up with Charles? She has been so passive and pretty much non existent in the tourney. Wake up Tina!!!

- Diana Taurasi
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ODU hanging around. They played a very good first half. Dribble penetration and offensive rebounding have kept them in it.

UConn 43-33 at the half. Moore with 14 and 7.

- Diana Taurasi
scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

maya looks way bigger than 6' to me. maybe its just her body type. ?

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's getting ugly now. UConn on a 20-3 run and has blown game open.

63-39 Huskies with 12:40 left

- Diana Taurasi
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its only 23? Confused Cmon Uconn, pick it up...

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know what I'd like to see?

For Maya Moore to be at a school other than UConn, UT or any ACC school so I wouldn't have to watch Doris Burke being dragged up and down the court while hanging out of Maya's ass since she loves Maya so much. It's disgusting to listen to (and I actually like Doris)

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Its only 23? Confused Cmon Uconn, pick it up...

Yeah, no kidding. You don't want Geno pissed because you didn't win by your average of 40+, do you?

Laughing

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn wins 78-63.

ODU made it much closer at the end, as the Huskies seemed to be content with the lead and didn't really play well there at the end. Moore finished with 25 and 11 with 3 blocks, Montgomery had 13 pts and 4 assists, and Charles, Houston, and Hunter each finished with 10 for the Huskies. But Charles left late in the game with some type of injury to her left shoulder (not the one that she had surgery on). No evaluation was done so no word on what happened. Montogomery was also shaken up late and left the game, with the trainer looking at her left knee.

Leading scorers for ODU Green with 15 and 10, Williams with 10. Canady was solid off the bench with 11pts and 10 boards.

Meh. On to the Elite 8...

- Diana Taurasi

Last edited by thatGAgirl on 03/30/08 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not selling Pym as the next best thing by any means, but if Kristen Newlin is getting a shot in a camp, I think Pym would be worth a look, especially since she appears to be a late bloomer.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully, the whiny ODU fan on The Boneyard will STFU and finally see the light. ODU didn't stand a chance against UConn because they didn't have an individual talent capable of taking over for them. They're just a collection of decent to good mid-major players who have no real basketball futures.

Mathies to LA 2013
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word yet on Charles?

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Hopefully, the whiny ODU fan on The Boneyard will STFU and finally see the light. ODU didn't stand a chance against UConn because they didn't have an individual talent capable of taking over for them. They're just a collection of decent to good mid-major players who have no real basketball futures.

Well it's good to see you aren't spoiled. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Any word yet on Charles?

Charles hurt her shoulder..and Montgomery hurt her knee Confused (I swear to God...)

I'm going to hope and pray it's not serious..but you never know. (neither went to the training room, which is good. I think Tina got hit hard, and Renee twisted her knee a bit...hopefully just that)

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:

What the hell are you bitter about? Confused

Mathies to LA 2013
scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and yet people continue to bash tara for leaving in her starters (specifically wiggins) when stanford has the game in hand.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:

What the hell are you bitter about? Confused

Who says I'm bitter. I just didn't see the point of bagging on ODU's team because some moron was spouting off on the UConn board.

UT may be the only other team in the country that has as much talent as UConn has.............but to call the talent of the other team all 'mid-major' and that they 'had no chance against UConn'......well hell, why even have the tournament this year right?

Sorry, I guess I just would expect more from a fan of a program that has been there so many times before.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
and yet people continue to bash tara for leaving in her starters (specifically wiggins) when stanford has the game in hand.

UConn may have had the game in had, but it didn't feel like it to them, considering the fact they didn't make a field goal for the last half of the second half (or maybe just one or two, not sure). I don't blame Geno for leaving them in.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
Who says I'm bitter. I just didn't see the point of bagging on ODU's team because some moron was spouting off on the UConn board.

Look, it's obvious they were severely overmatched from the tip. They played hard, obviously. However, that particular fan took my quote out of context and whined incessantly about getting "no respect", when all he had to do was ask me why I felt the way I did. So yes, it's nice to see the whiners silenced.

IndyPurduefan wrote:
UT may be the only other team in the country that has as much talent as UConn has.............but to call the talent of the other team all 'mid-major' and that they 'had no chance against UConn'......well hell, why even have the tournament this year right?

Um...ODU is a mid-major team composed of mid-major talent. They're good, but they don't have a high-major player capable of keeping them in contention with a team like UConn. Why did DePaul keep its regular-season game with UConn close (with a GREAT chance to pull the upset)? Answer: Allie Quigley. Why did Louisville compete with UConn? Answer: Angel McCoughtry. Why did Syracuse put a scare into UConn earlier this year? Answer: Nicole Michael. Why did Rutgers defeat UConn? Answer: Epiphanny Prince. What do these women have in common? They're high-major talents.

ODU simply doesn't have a player like that on its roster. That's why they lost and never had a chance in hell to win. It's not an insult. It's a fact.

IndyPurduefan wrote:
Sorry, I guess I just would expect more from a fan of a program that has been there so many times before.

I might like this year's version of UConn, but I'm not what you call a "UConn fan".

Mathies to LA 2013
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Um...ODU is a mid-major team composed of mid-major talent. They're good, but they don't have a high-major player capable of keeping them in contention with a team like UConn. Why did DePaul keep its regular-season game with UConn close (with a GREAT chance to pull the upset)? Answer: Allie Quigley. Why did Louisville compete with UConn? Answer: Angel McCoughtry. Why did Syracuse put a scare into UConn earlier this year? Answer: Nicole Michael. Why did Rutgers defeat UConn? Answer: Epiphanny Prince. What do these women have in common? They're high-major talents.

ODU simply doesn't have a player like that on its roster. That's why they lost. It's not an insult. It's a fact.

I think when you see the performances of players like Jordan and Wirth in these crucial games, you see if they are able to really generate their own productivity and make things happen. What most of the players mentioned above will have in common is their ability to get off their own shots.

One of the problems with Jordan and Wirth the past two days has been that it's clear that they aren't capable of shaking the defense to get the shots that they want in crunch time. Moreso, there is no one to pick up either Vandy or ODU, though I think Vandy is looking better with a lot of youth that can still develop in a system like Balcomb's. ODU's players look much more stagnant or complete in their development.

Sweet Sixteen is an awesome accomplishment for ODU. That's a harsh reality, but it is reality.

Look at the teams we have left and think about what the conversation has been like all year. We have those seven that have been talked about so much - UConn, Tenn, RU, Maryland, Stanford, LSU, and UNC. These are all teams that put on the court 3-5 top tier players at a time who have the ability to make things happen. If you were to put ODU with that collection, it really is one of those cases of "which of these things doesn't belong" and that is why in the end, they aren't in that group.

Moreso, I think you are seeing the same thing with GW right now.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:

Look, it's obvious they were severely overmatched from the tip. They played hard, obviously. However, that particular fan took my quote out of context and whined incessantly about getting "no respect", when all he had to do was ask me why I felt the way I did. So yes, it's nice to see the whiners silenced.

IndyPurduefan wrote:

ODU simply doesn't have a player like that on its roster. That's why they lost and never had a chance in hell to win. It's not an insult. It's a fact.

IndyPurduefan wrote:

I might like this year's version of UConn, but I'm not what you call a "UConn fan".

And my point is that one player like that against UConn isn't going to make a difference. Why? Because UConn has another 5-6 of those kinds of players to counter with.

Sorry, I just initially read your post as insulting to ODU (and to every other team not named UConn, no offense to UConn or its fans). ODU apparently was good enough to get to even play UConn, even without that supposed 'go-to' player.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well.

UConn versus Rutgers, part three.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: