RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland V. Stanford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:01 am    ::: Maryland V. Stanford Reply Reply with quote

Let's get right to the matchups.

Post 1 - Laura Harper and Kayla Pederson

Harp is an emotional fireball. She can really dictate the mental framework for her team with big timely plays on both sides of the ball. Harp knows how to pick up that key trash basket off the O-board but she also knows how to pick up that costly fourth foul. Harp needs to stay steady and make a big personal push to get separation towards the end of the first half or to start the second half. Her ability to grab momentum for her teammates is priceless and will be necessary to take down Stanford. Harp is a legit first round draft pick.

From Senior to Freshman, Kayla Pederson is frighteningly the more diverse scoring option of the Stanford posts. Pederson plays with a steady mentality, and never appears rattled. She rarely bypasses opportunities to attack and does a great job at the top of the key shooting and it will be key if she can take Harp off the dribble and draw fouls which can limit Harp's ability to jump start her team. Pederson also is an underrated defender and she is a great rebounder. Harper may be the toughest matchup Pederson has taken on since Candace Parker, but she was up for the task once.

Edge - Harp brings the emotion, but Pederson is playing better ball than Harp right now. I call it EVEN.

Post 2 - Crystal Langhorne and Jayne Appel

This is bound to be a battle. Both of these players are known for their touch around the basket, but Appel may be the best position defender Lang will have seen this entire season. Watch Appel defend. It's no joke. With her frame and length, she is absolutely imposing. More than that, she moves incredibly well in the post and her position defense is second to none, though Lang's speed will be far better than any post Appel has faced. Lang will need to start her moves from a few feet out and try to beat Appel with a bounce or step through.

But here is where Appel - and maybe Stanford - will find their biggest advantage. Harp can only guard one of the two Stanford bigs. Lang will be totally outmatched by Appel on the block. Appel's ability to play away from the basket and pass is something few posts can do these days, and Lang away from the basket means she isn't low for the board. Put Appel on the blocks with Lang, and Appel matches her strength and should be able to get all of her hooks and swing around shots in the basket. Can't double Appel because Ros, JJ, Pohlen, Wiggins, and Pederson are all capable from outside. Lang may be the hardest check Lang has seen all season, but Lang hasn't even come close to seeing an Appel.

Edge - Offensively, they should both be able to go to work, but I give the edge to STANFORD because of Appel's diversification of skills and better size, all while still being just as capable of grabbing boards and running the floor.

Perimeter 1 - Kristi Toliver and Rosalyn Gold-Onwude

I was trying to figure out who I thought Stanford would have on Toliver, but watching Ros on Zellous sold me. Both of these players had their most impressive games of the tournament in the Sweet Sixteen. Toliver isn't going to get bumped all game by a player like Ros, but her height and at least equal quickness will present a challenge. Toliver, after not taking many shots in the Sweet Sixteen, is probably going to be itching to bring some offense. If she can quell that itch, and stay true to the PG form she found against Vandy, Maryland will be well served. And yes Kristi, we know you're not afraid to take - and make - the big shots. This is Ros's first tourney, Kristi has experienced both the highs and lows.

Edge - MARYLAND, and this is one they really need to win in terms of matchups. If Toliver can't shake Ros and starts turning the ball over, the impact throughout their team will be profound. Ros just needs to keep Toliver in check and stay willing to take shots and drive. Ros has more skills than I think she even credits herself for, but Toliver is ready and willing to use all of hers.

Perimeter 2 - Marah Strickland and JJ Hones

Marah Strickland's game against Vandy was a huge key before the Stanford game even starts because it will significantly impact the Cardinal's preparation for Maryland. Strickland's shooting will force Stanford to pay attention to her while they love sending players down to double the post out of their matchup zone, they may not have that luxury against Maryland who moves really well in the half court. Even with Stanford's awesome defensive rotations, they may need to play more man.

That said, JJ Hones is one of the most efficient bright spots for the Stanford squad. Her turnovers are limited and she is totally willing to shoot from long range or make a drive. JJ's position defense on the perimeter, now that she appears to have her legs fully back from the ACL injury, is similar to Appel down low. She gets to where she needs to go, maybe without a ton of speed, but she does it time after time. Stanford is a squad that has taken JJ's lead by just continuing to run like clockwork, and Hones' steady ability keeps Stanford playing with a level head.

Edge - STANFORD gets a huge boost from JJ and their ability to have two ball-handlers on the court between Hones and Ros. But be aware, if Strickland goes off again, it could be dangerous for Stanford.

Perimeter 3 - Marissa Coleman and Candice Wiggins

In my personal opinion, these are the best two players on the court. There is little to say about these two that people don't already know. Coleman needs to stay at the top of her game to take out the senior, and her rebounding ability will be big as the Stanford bigs love to pull rebounders out of position. Wiggins needs to continue to pick her spots, and Stanford needs to remain in attack mode because this Maryland team can not afford foul trouble from any player. Wiggins has a knack for drawing fouls, and if she can get Coleman into trouble - which doesn't happen much - Stanford will have a much easier time.

Edge - I would say Wiggins, but I will call it EVEN. In big games, big players step up, and these two are top tier players who love to turn it up a notch.

Bench Post - Jade Perry and Jillian Harmon/Morgan Clyburn

Jade started the season great, but really has tailed off making fewer and fewer of her signature big plays. She looks more lethargic than ever and rarely takes that outside jumper that really brought something to the court for Maryland. She is way outmatched by the Stanford starters.

Harmon and Clyburn both have down a solid job of filling in at the high post, and Harmon may be the only one of the two to play, but she can fill in nicely for Appel or Pederson in stretches or if one picks up foul trouble. She is rather unassuming, but can make things happen. Clyburn is more just steady, but her defense has improved and will be her main responsibility. What this says more than anything though is that Stanford has more fouls to give in the post.

Edge - STANFORD in a big way. Harmon is a starter basically and has the intangibles. Her ability to produce can be a back-breaker, but because of Perry's recent play, Harmon may not have to do much to outplay her.

Bench Perimeter - Ashley Newman and Jeanette Pohlen/Jillian Harmon

There you see Harmon again, and you also see another Maryland senior who really has lacked production late in the season. Maryland, under Park, really went straight to their starters, and I think that has impacted the senior subs. Newman was key a couple years ago with her ability to shoot the three in spots and play defense, but now her impact is minimal and she never plays long enough to get into a groove.

Pohlen is young and fresh, not afraid to take a shot, but will really just help Stanford continue to run their offense as a cog in the system. She will go anywhere from the 2 to the 4, but the key will be her ability to move the ball around when Wiggins visits the bench. Harmon's impact will be a little more profound because she will be the matchup with Coleman, and she could potentially make Marissa's life hell. Harmon doesn't mind being physical, and she can rebound with Coleman. Harmon changes up the Stanford look when she is on the perimeter and she makes Wiggins the secondary ball handler which can be dangerous sometimes because Wiggins getting the ball in her hands early usually makes her eyes light up and ready to score.

Edge - STANFORD.

Overall edge to Stanford in this particular matchup. Better post diversification of skills, a perimeter up to the challenge Maryland presents, a tremendous defense, and a better bench all stacks up in Stanford's favor. Still, at this time of the year, anything can happen and most of it will.

Honestly, both of these teams are capable of winning the national championship, and whoever takes this game will have really made a statement. I'm pulling for Stanford, and am totally willing to ride the Wiggins train for as long as it's running.

Good luck to both teams - GO STANFORD - and here's hoping for no injuries and a lot of sportsmanship.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing to consider with the Langhorne/Appel matchup is that the Terps aren't always good about getting Langhorne the ball as much as they should.

Another thing to consider is that Stanford's top players, outside of Wiggins, aren't as seasoned as Coleman, Langhorne, Harper and Tolliver. They haven't played in a game this big and haven't been through the late-tournament crucible that these players have. It may not make a difference at all (it certainly didn't last year when Maryland lost to Ole Miss), but it could if this game is the white-knuckler I expect it to be.

On the other hand, by being so young, Appel & Co. aren't saddled with the demons of those three straight regional finals that Stanford let get away in the final minute.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is going to be a great match up. Both teams can be explosive and yet at times suffer some breakdowns. I think this one is going to truly be about who brings their A-game.

These are two of my favorite teams in the tournament, but gonna stay true to my conference and say... Go Stanford....

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

excellent job eyevolley! Please send to Debbie Antonelli.

Great job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: