RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spokane Semifinal: (6) Pittsburgh vs. (2) Stanford
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
If Pitt's guards can have that much success against Stanford, what are Tolliver and the rest of Maryland's backcourt players going to do?

a) Toliver isn't as quick as Pitt guards
b) see Ros Gold Onwude shut down Zellous in 2nd half
c) MD doesn't play D like Pitt

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That should have been a flagrant.

no doubt. very scary moment for CW and Stanford. Tara was pissed.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

The hard foul by Pitt on Wiggins I forgive because I know sometimes plays like that just happen. There didn't seem to be any malice. It was a dumb play, and it's unfortunate. The wrong call was made. But it's okay.
[/quote]

so when is it okay to make a flagrant foul and potentially hurt a player? Totally uncalled for. Wiggins had her beat by far, it was intentional foul and should have been called so.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/30/08 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
njjosh wrote:
If Pitt's guards can have that much success against Stanford, what are Tolliver and the rest of Maryland's backcourt players going to do?

Maryland doesn't have a perimeter player who's even a tenth the athlete, penetrator, or mid-range shooter Zellous is. She made Wiggins and the rest of the Stanford guards look "slow" and unimpressive. Zellous looked like your typical ACC guard--except that she plays for a Big East team.

agree with bbballfan, but we've seen Zealous type play at UCLA and other non conf games, but it's been a while. I thought Stanford played tight and methodical (conservative) in the first half, but made the right adjustments in the 2nd half. Do you notice Ros held Zellous to 6pts in the 2nd half? Game ball to Ros and Tara.

Also, I'm glad we won without Wiggins having a huge game. It was Ros, Jayne and Kayla stepping up big when needed. Something ESPN and Debbie NEVER mentions is the youth of Stanford's team. We have 1 frosh, 3 soph (Ros is red shirt soph) and 1 sr starting, and Pohlen, another frosh contributing quite well.

MD/Vandy and Stan/Pitt match-ups are VERY different than MD/Stanford.

Whole new ball game on Mon. with pretty evenly matched teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/08 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Maryland doesn't have a perimeter player who's even a tenth the athlete, penetrator, or mid-range shooter Zellous is. She made Wiggins and the rest of the Stanford guards look "slow" and unimpressive. Zellous looked like your typical ACC guard--except that she plays for a Big East team.

Confused

You don't consider Coleman a perimeter player?

PostPosted: 03/30/08 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Sass's insults - get over yourself. You're not that intimidating. You're just disrespectful. Trust that your insults - both mild and fire - do not go unnoticed. No one is impressed.

Re: bballfan2005 and Larkins. Do people really not think I don't pick where and when I want to get into it with bballfan2005? If I thought it was relatively legitimate, then I'd be right in the thick of it. Let me and bballfan2005 decide when we go at it, I don't need egging on. All I will say on the issue is that I respect Smoovie, and wish that bballfan2005 wasn't as interested in pushing buttons. But that's all I have on that matter. Not real ground breaking.

Re: Intentional foul. I agree that it should have been called an intentional foul and that it was a really stupid play. The refs have shown a propensity in the Sweet Sixteen to be way too lenient - and then pull technical fouls out of their ass for Jeff Walz - who knows. I'm only saying that I am not ready to burn the Pitt player at the stake. I know things like that can be completely accidental, and you can generally tell when they are malicious. Stupid, dangerous, and angering - oh hell yeah, all of those. But it seemed to be more about the play than the Pitt player herself. So no free pass, learn your lesson, and Candice moves on.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Re: Sass's insults - get over yourself. You're not that intimidating. You're just disrespectful. Trust that your insults - both mild and fire - do not go unnoticed. No one is impressed.

Re: bballfan2005 and Larkins. Do people really not think I don't pick where and when I want to get into it with bballfan2005? If I thought it was relatively legitimate, then I'd be right in the thick of it. Let me and bballfan2005 decide when we go at it, I don't need egging on. All I will say on the issue is that I respect Smoovie, and wish that bballfan2005 wasn't as interested in pushing buttons. But that's all I have on that matter. Not real ground breaking.

Re: Intentional foul. I agree that it should have been called an intentional foul and that it was a really stupid play. The refs have shown a propensity in the Sweet Sixteen to be way too lenient - and then pull technical fouls out of their ass for Jeff Walz - who knows. I'm only saying that I am not ready to burn the Pitt player at the stake. I know things like that can be completely accidental, and you can generally tell when they are malicious. Stupid, dangerous, and angering - oh hell yeah, all of those. But it seemed to be more about the play than the Pitt player herself. So no free pass, learn your lesson, and Candice moves on.

eyevolley, it's not that serious, man. Just chill. And here's a suggestion: life goes better with a sense of humor.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, my sense of humor is in question because I didn't laugh at a joke about Tara's "pissy ass, non-smiling face."

I'll be sure to write that down in my book of jokes under the section labeled "Very funny because Sass said so."

Meanwhile, Tara is in the Elite Eight, and I'm thrilled! Very Happy

Side Note:

Anyone who watched Stanford throughout the season on FSN will know that Tara certainly can smile, as she glows most any time she is asked about Candice Wiggins.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. I don't care really about the coaches' faces on the sideline. As long as they aren't pouting while their team is losing instead of trying to get them rallied or something...
LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 03/30/08 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Meanwhile, Tara is in the Elite Eight, and I'm thrilled! Very Happy

Side Note:

Anyone who watched Stanford throughout the season on FSN will know that Tara certainly can smile, as she glows most any time she is asked about Candice Wiggins.

So true, on all accounts. Tara has smiled a lot; besides how many coaches do we actually see smiling while in the middle of coaching a game. It would be pretty scary to see them trying to smile, take Pat for instance, how would that look while she was ripping Bobbitt a new ass for that Technical in the not so distant past? Shocked

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
sbjules

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Maryland doesn't have a perimeter player who's even a tenth the athlete, penetrator, or mid-range shooter Zellous is.

Actually I'd nominate Marissa Coleman. But that said, I like Pitt & their spirited coach.

Stanford-Pitt was a fun game to watch. Congratulations to Stanford & Wiggins & hoopfan24 Very Happy

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a little make-up would do Tara wonders(I think), but other than that I could care less. Shes a great coach and her players love playing for her. Smile

If Appel can have 20/10 again, I think Stanford wins cuz I think wiggy will be her solid self and it will open up the j's for the perimeter players...Appel vs Harper inside should be fun.

PostPosted: 03/30/08 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:
Maryland doesn't have a perimeter player who's even a tenth the athlete, penetrator, or mid-range shooter Zellous is.

Actually I'd nominate Marissa Coleman. But that said, I like Pitt & their spirited coach.

Stanford-Pitt was a fun game to watch. Congratulations to Stanford & Wiggins & hoopfan24 Very Happy

thanks sbjules! I like the Pitt coach too. It was a tough game and certainly got us ready for MD.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/30/08 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

Actually I'd nominate Marissa Coleman.

Uh...sure, buddy. Whatever. Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: