RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Times article on Rutgers fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 03/26/08 3:39 pm    ::: NY Times article on Rutgers fans Reply Reply with quote

It couldn't be about a nicer couple, and I really do mean that.

Following the Knights

An excerpt:

It was nearing midnight Monday and Manfre and her husband were standing behind the Rutgers bench at Wells Fargo Arena after the game. They had just finished singing a fight song for a college that neither attended. For the past nine years this is how the Manfres have spent part of March, traveling the country to cheer on young women for whom they have a great affinity but no blood bond.

“There’s something about this team,” Manfre said. “I don’t know what it is. We kiddingly refer to them as our kids. They really are.”

The Manfres, who have no children, adopted the Scarlet Knights after receiving free tickets from a friend to attend a home game in 1999. Rutgers was playing the Big East’s behemoth, Connecticut. “The excitement and the quality of the basketball was beyond what we were expecting,” Manfre said. “We got hooked badly.”

“I gave up cigarettes,” she added, “and took up Rutgers basketball.”

Bob is the person who organizes RU fan trips, and he's been very nice to me when they've come down here. I should note that apparently he isn't retired, despite what the article says.[/i]

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/26/08 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: