RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

JoAnne Boyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 03/25/08 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some days are like that. But for the combination of a few variables, the game could have had a different outcome. But there's next year...

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/25/08 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
And it's not "unacceptable" as much as it is what separates her from not just Pat and Geno, but Muffet McGraw, Tara VanDerVeer, Kim Mulkey-Robertson and others who have built programs into actual champions. Until she does likewise, Gail isn't at that level. Same with Andy Landers, Vivian Stringer, Debbie Ryan and the others who have built winning programs over a number of years but not championship ones.

And yet in the past ten years, Gail has had more consistent success than Muffet, Tara, Mulkey, etc. Stanford hasn't been to a Final Four since 1997. Notre Dame hasn't sniffed the Final Four or even national title contender status since 2001. Baylor hasn't been back to the Final Four and may not have been back to the Elite Eight, IIRC.

eye510

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very interesting comments...

of course pat and geno...are at the top--LOTS of championships--they are very unique.....VERY...

...and then there are all the rest--...those who have won 1 national championship--but cant do it again..and those who have been to many final 4's--but cant seem to get the big one.....Stop---- with the bashing of goestenkors---she is a VERY_VERY good coach,,great in fact.. she wins without verbally abusing her players...unique..and respected...she will get her ring at TEXAS..

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
njjosh wrote:
And it's not "unacceptable" as much as it is what separates her from not just Pat and Geno, but Muffet McGraw, Tara VanDerVeer, Kim Mulkey-Robertson and others who have built programs into actual champions. Until she does likewise, Gail isn't at that level. Same with Andy Landers, Vivian Stringer, Debbie Ryan and the others who have built winning programs over a number of years but not championship ones.

And yet in the past ten years, Gail has had more consistent success than Muffet, Tara, Mulkey, etc. Stanford hasn't been to a Final Four since 1997. Notre Dame hasn't sniffed the Final Four or even national title contender status since 2001. Baylor hasn't been back to the Final Four and may not have been back to the Elite Eight, IIRC.

I've always liked Gail and think she did a great job, so why did she leave Cam? Of course, we heard the rumors about lack of support from Duke's AD, but don't know for sure. What was the deal?

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:01 pm    ::: Re: JoAnne Boyle Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I know the Duke fans don't like Coach P., and it may turn out to be rightly so, but I have to say this. If you think Boyle would have been an improvement, I don't think so. I don't see anything in any Cal game I've seen this season that proves she is suited for the Duke job, IMO. Her teams can't score, they are very out of shape and look very lethargic out there to me. You all know Joanne more than I do, so am I onto something here or am I completely wrong?

You don't have a clue.....the Cal fans are very happy to have Joanne Boyle and are supremely thankful she didn't bolt for Duke. Just ask one of the 10,525 folks who filled Haas to watch the team play against Stanford....

DEPTH has been a problem all year......Dev has never fully come back from knee surgery in November......

As someone who has watched a lot of wcbb over the years, and from what I've seen of the Cal program (on and OFF the court) with Joanne in charge---is all good. The whole culture of the program is shifting. Nothing happens overnight, but Joanne is a great coach who is the perfect person to bring the program to the next level. I've been waiting for years for that to happen at Cal and am pleased that it finally is..... Very Happy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/26/08 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
I've always liked Gail and think she did a great job, so why did she leave Cam? Of course, we heard the rumors about lack of support from Duke's AD, but don't know for sure. What was the deal?

That was part of it.

Had Alleva given her a contract extension after 2006, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Alleva cannot stand to be questioned, yet makes terrible hires. Only when others step in does he get things right. He had two disastrous hires in football and one in baseball.

Alleva honestly thought that women's basketball didn't deserve the major money that men's basketball gets...or anything close to it. Texas is paying Gail well over $800,000. Duke matched, but WAY too late (after Alleva publicly insulted Gail in interviews on multiple occasions). McCallie is getting $500,000...noticeably less than Gail. As long as the women's program wins and goes to the NCAA Tournament, it doesn't matter to him. The fact that Duke is not talked about as a national title contender as it has been over the past several years is of no consequence.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
can't really blame Gail for Toliver hitting that 3 in the Final Four. Just bad luck for them, I was sitting in the MD section, but pulling for Duke.

the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of bales. she allowed herself to fall for toliver's drive fake, despite the fact the terps needed a 3.

i've watched it a million times. there is no reason for bales to retreat from the arc, but she does, and thus gives toliver the space needed to hoist that shot.

great move by toliver; dumb one by bales.

as for GG- she can recruit, and that's more than half the battle. she's had too many bad losses to be considered great, imo.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Changing the topic slightly, I've seen what McKeown did last night and what he's done for years at GW and wonder what he could do in a major conference with major conference players and facilities.

It's an interesting question, but he seems to have no interest in leaving. He's awfully good, and seems to get the most out of his teams nearly every year.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/26/08 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will say that the GW game was the first time I've seen a Joanne Boyle-coached Cal team play on television.

I think what she's done with the program is tremendous, and she's definitely headed in the right direction.

With that said, I thought her team looked extremely, extremely nervous in the final few minutes. I didn't really think GW played particularly well at the end of the game, but that Cal gave it to them. The refs missed an obvious over-and-back call against Cal in the final few minutes. I also thought that the final sequence could have been managed better by Boyle. She obviously was shocked after the travel was called, but just stood in shock. She didn't give any motion to her players to get set on defense (or call the timeout she'd been trying to call, for that matter). I thought her handling of the end of the game — not just the final 10 seconds, but more like the final five minutes — was not very impressive.

With that said, I think she'll get better and she's certainly a great coach that Cal should be pleased to have. But I was not impressed at all with her game management skills.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the final few minutes could have been handled better, but, oh well.....still like Joanne a lot. She seems to have a tough time with GW (from her days with Richmond as well). I think the game was part of the process for Cal. The good news is everyone except Krista will be back next year....hopefully healthy. Very Happy

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure it could have been handled better, and probably will be in the future. Crisis management is a highly specialized skill and if JB is as smart as I think she is, she will use this to develop it on the court. Anyone who can recover from a brain hemorrhage can regroup after losing a basketball game, surely.

Ineffably sublime
kage

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well... she still is a fairly young coach, experience wise, I think. She'll learn from this just as the Cal wbb team will.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
as for GG- she can recruit, and that's more than half the battle. she's had too many bad losses to be considered great, imo.

Good to see you posting again, CTH!

Outside of Geno and Pat, Gail has amassed the best winning percentage amongst active coaches in the NCAA Tournament. Over the past nine years befoe this year, Duke has had 7 straight 30 win seasons, 7 Elite Eight appearances, and 4 Final Four berths. Of the coaches (besides Geno and Pat) who won titles during this time, such as McGraw and Mulkey, no one else has maintained the consistent excellence during that time frame.

Gail doesn't have a title. I would argue that 2004 was the biggest failure, as the team was clearly talented, had defeated UConn in Hartford, and had a lot of momentum coming into the NCAAs. 2006 is up there as well...not so much for Toliver, but for coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win.

But where do you balance the sustained, consistent excellence at the highest of levels with winning a national title and not being a contender in other years?

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

But where do you balance the sustained, consistent excellence at the highest of levels with winning a national title and not being a contender in other years?

I think I'd take sustained, consistent excellence over winning a national title and not being a contender in other years.

Ineffably sublime
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

That was part of it.

Had Alleva given her a contract extension after 2006, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Alleva cannot stand to be questioned, yet makes terrible hires. Only when others step in does he get things right. He had two disastrous hires in football and one in baseball.

Alleva honestly thought that women's basketball didn't deserve the major money that men's basketball gets...or anything close to it. Texas is paying Gail well over $800,000. Duke matched, but WAY too late (after Alleva publicly insulted Gail in interviews on multiple occasions). McCallie is getting $500,000...noticeably less than Gail. As long as the women's program wins and goes to the NCAA Tournament, it doesn't matter to him. The fact that Duke is not talked about as a national title contender as it has been over the past several years is of no consequence.

thanks for explanation Cam.

Grumps

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I think I'd take sustained, consistent excellence over winning a national title and not being a contender in other years.

It's a lot like Dan Marino, HOF quarterback that had an excellent career, but he never won the big one...A lot of people that is the only thing they see...

Grumps

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:30 pm    ::: Re: JoAnne Boyle Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I know the Duke fans don't like Coach P., and it may turn out to be rightly so, but I have to say this. If you think Boyle would have been an improvement, I don't think so. I don't see anything in any Cal game I've seen this season that proves she is suited for the Duke job, IMO. Her teams can't score, they are very out of shape and look very lethargic out there to me. You all know Joanne more than I do, so am I onto something here or am I completely wrong?

Bart, I'd would gladly take Joanne boyle's coaching over Joanne McCallie's any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. As CamCrz has pointed out, Boyle was severely hampered by lack of depth. Throw in the asthma problems to 1 out of the 2 post players able to play. I'm thinking Boyle's head was pretty clogged up with wondering if Hampton should even be on the floor.

Give Boyle a couple of years to develop trust in a returning Asst Coach and time to recruit a full roster. She'll be fine on the floor. and ALL reports are she's GREAT in all aspects off the floor. Players, adminstration, parents are all THRILLED to have her.

I don't need a Sweet Sixteen invitation to prove that Boyle would have been a better fit for Duke than McCallie is. On the court managing the team, X's and O's, Boyle is at least at McCallie's level. Recruiting, she's light years ahead of McCallie. Off court team management is where Boyle clearly shines and McCallie is horrible. Some Duke players have been trying to get an appointment to talk to the coach since February and have had no luck. I kid you not. And without an appointment, there is NO talking to the coach.

Please check out all publications quoting Duke players this season. You will not find one anywhere in which a Duke player states they like the coach or have learned to trust her through the year. The late season success has come when the players have taken over the running of the team. It's more like the upper class players figure they've got nothing left to lose, so most post season games, they are calling the plays...and winning.

Very nice of you to provide a forum regarding the Duke coaching situation. I owe you one...

~rAf
kage

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:38 pm    ::: Re: JoAnne Boyle Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Some Duke players have been trying to get an appointment to talk to the coach since February and have had no luck. I kid you not. And without an appointment, there is NO talking to the coach.

Um, wow. I hadn't realized it was quite that bad. Even if she is busy, that's either pretty bad time management/availability or deliberate. Either way, not very good probably. You know this for sure?
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/26/08 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Good to see you posting again, CTH!

Outside of Geno and Pat, Gail has amassed the best winning percentage amongst active coaches in the NCAA Tournament. Over the past nine years befoe this year, Duke has had 7 straight 30 win seasons, 7 Elite Eight appearances, and 4 Final Four berths. Of the coaches (besides Geno and Pat) who won titles during this time, such as McGraw and Mulkey, no one else has maintained the consistent excellence during that time frame.

Gail doesn't have a title. I would argue that 2004 was the biggest failure, as the team was clearly talented, had defeated UConn in Hartford, and had a lot of momentum coming into the NCAAs. 2006 is up there as well...not so much for Toliver, but for coaching not to lose instead of coaching to win.

What about 2007? 31-1, #1 overall seed, loses in the Sweet 16 to a Rutgers team they beat by 40 points at Rutgers in the regular season.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/26/08 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I'll admit you have a fair argument - it's the same one Dean Smith defended himself with when he came under attack the first 15-20 years of his career, when he kept getting North Carolina to near the mountaintop but never actually there.

On the flip side, though, you have Jim Valvano. His 1983 NC State team got on a roll in the postseason and won a national championship when the Phi Slamma Jamma Houston Cougars choked in the final minutes of the title game. He never came close to winning a national title again, and coached his final game before his 45th birthday (this all before cancer tragically took his life). But because of that championship, he became an icon in the sport.

Contrast this with Gene Keady, who at the same time was building a perennially strong program at Purdue. He always won plenty, but he never won the big one or even reached the Final Four. Consequently, for all of his wins, he's never been an icon the same way his coaching peers like Dean Smith and Coack K, who did win it all, were.

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 03/26/08 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well...we have jumped around a lot here and I thought we were talking about Joanne Boyle.

OK - Joanne just finished her third season as head coach at Cal after being head coach at Richmond for 3 seasons. So she's got six seasons in as a head coach, following 9 years as an assistant at Duke. Just taking a quick look at some stats, it would appear that she is on a gradual upward direction. Each season, she seems to get just a little bit farther. She is only 44 years old, and I don't think she's reached her peak. We're also mixing some men's bball coaches in here, and you really can't compare the two at this point in time. What we do know is that she has taken the Cal women's program and turned it around, to the delight of everyone who cares about it.

Ineffably sublime
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/26/08 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
What about 2007? 31-1, #1 overall seed, loses in the Sweet 16 to a Rutgers team they beat by 40 points at Rutgers in the regular season.

The big distraction there was Gail being courted by Texas. That one is a different situation than the others.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/26/08 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
njjosh wrote:

The big distraction there was Gail being courted by Texas. That one is a different situation than the others.

yea, I thought they really affected Gail and team. Too bad because they were very talented, but gotta be ready mentally to go far in the tourney.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, i'd rather be a fan of a GG-coached team than say, an andy landers-coached team. but i'd prefer to be a baylor fan over either.

there aren't too many teams in WCB (any at all?) that win a NC and then don't contend. purdue, maybe?

anyway, i can't call a coach who has never won the NC "great". sorry.

imo, the marino analogy doesn't work because he never played on the most talented team and didn't have several bad losses.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
well, i'd rather be a fan of a GG-coached team than say, an andy landers-coached team. but i'd prefer to be a baylor fan over either

Quote:
there aren't too many teams in WCB (any at all?) that win a NC and then don't contend. purdue, maybe?

agree with GG over Andy

would add ND to the second pt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: