RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN topic cjoice a disservice to WCBB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/08 6:36 am    ::: ESPN topic cjoice a disservice to WCBB Reply Reply with quote

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=578af038-22ab-4124-82b9-e08ac610b9fb

Quote:
“Outside The Lines” is supposed to offer “outside the box” reporting of the sports we watch. Its decision makers didn't think very hard about what was offered on Sunday and portrayed women's basketball as fodder for a Harlequin Romance.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see the program. I will take exception to the author giving ESPN credit for exposure of the women's game. I have said it before and will say it again, they treat women's basketball like a red-headed stepchild. It is the best we have only because it is all we have.

The fact that they featured two stories on women's basketball is great. That the two stories they chose to relate are old news and did not plow any new ground is telling. It's like they expect us to be grateful for whatever bone they throw us. There were stories to tell, but they chose to air fluff instead.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:43 am    ::: Re: ESPN topic cjoice a disservice to WCBB Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
“Outside The Lines” is supposed to offer “outside the box” reporting of the sports we watch. Its decision makers didn't think very hard about what was offered on Sunday and portrayed women's basketball as fodder for a Harlequin Romance.

I didn't see the piece on ESPN so am relying on the summary of the columnist. Interesting they would have Julie Foudy, a soccer player cover the topic of lesbian witch hunts in women's basketball. That is a topic that deserves serious attention...but wait...that's what Pat Griffin is already doing, and doing VERY well.

The issue in Julie Foudy's sport has still not received the attention it deserves: male coaches who date their female players. The fact that so many of them eventually "legitimize" the relationship by marrying the young woman does not change the dynamics that effect a team of young women when the coach picks one of them and makes her "special".

I can only say "thank God they didn't try to cover Pokeygate" on that show. Pokey was an ASSISTANT coach having intimate relationships with players. The number of males coaches having similar relationships with players (and marrying the players while still in college) is too many to even start naming.

For coverage of Pokey's downfall in Baton Rouge, I turn to Mechelle Voepel, who did a GREAT job of looking at Pokey's alleged mistakes and putting them in the context of all the mistakes that get made of that nature, mostly by men.

For darn sure, Doris Burke and her relationship with Geno Auriemma, was put on the line in the story. The story will slowly come out that the problem between Pat and Geno is precisely his (subtle?) use of Pat's new found single status during the recruiting of Maya Moore. Being a guy, he didn't have to choose between being a top flight Div.1 coach vs raising a family. He brought home the bacon. His wife took care of the family. Women everywhere plus men with a conscience should be forcing Geno to lay out how he uses his marital status vs the marital status of other coaches to his advantage while recruiting top talent. He SHOULD be shut out of the "old girls club" of women's basketball.

There are real issues here. They deserve so much more than a broad brush stroke. It is VERY hard for a woman to be head coach at a competitive program and have a "normal" family life (where normal is still defined as a woman "being there" for spouse and kids rather than on the road). Does the WBCA have seminars on that?

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:07 pm    ::: Re: ESPN topic cjoice a disservice to WCBB Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I didn't see the piece on ESPN so am relying on the summary of the columnist. Interesting they would have Julie Foudy, a soccer player cover the topic of lesbian witch hunts in women's basketball. That is a topic that deserves serious attention...but wait...that's what Pat Griffin is already doing, and doing VERY well.

The issue in Julie Foudy's sport has still not received the attention it deserves: male coaches who date their female players. The fact that so many of them eventually "legitimize" the relationship by marrying the young woman does not change the dynamics that effect a team of young women when the coach picks one of them and makes her "special".

I can only say "thank God they didn't try to cover Pokeygate" on that show. Pokey was an ASSISTANT coach having intimate relationships with players. The number of males coaches having similar relationships with players (and marrying the players while still in college) is too many to even start naming.

For coverage of Pokey's downfall in Baton Rouge, I turn to Mechelle Voepel, who did a GREAT job of looking at Pokey's alleged mistakes and putting them in the context of all the mistakes that get made of that nature, mostly by men.

For darn sure, Doris Burke and her relationship with Geno Auriemma, was put on the line in the story. The story will slowly come out that the problem between Pat and Geno is precisely his (subtle?) use of Pat's new found single status during the recruiting of Maya Moore. Being a guy, he didn't have to choose between being a top flight Div.1 coach vs raising a family. He brought home the bacon. His wife took care of the family. Women everywhere plus men with a conscience should be forcing Geno to lay out how he uses his marital status vs the marital status of other coaches to his advantage while recruiting top talent. He SHOULD be shut out of the "old girls club" of women's basketball.

There are real issues here. They deserve so much more than a broad brush stroke. It is VERY hard for a woman to be head coach at a competitive program and have a "normal" family life (where normal is still defined as a woman "being there" for spouse and kids rather than on the road). Does the WBCA have seminars on that?

And you know that how?
That's a little insulting, if not true. And it would seem that this wouldn't be too effective when used with Maya who grew up with a single parent.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont understand why you say its so hard to be a female coach and have a family. They arent playing anymore, so the physical part isnt an issue.

IMO, They should have plenty of time to spend with their families(the same as male coaches with families) Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
I dont understand why you say its so hard to be a female coach and have a family. They arent playing anymore, so the physical part isnt an issue.

IMO, They should have plenty of time to spend with their families(the same as male coaches with families) Rolling Eyes

I disagree. My daughter was an assistant coach at Marshall. Between game flims, practice, meeting with other coaches, fund raising, checking up on th players...when is there time to go home and deal with a husband and kids. Not to mention is the child is sick the person they want most is MOM.. so it is kinda hard to call in sick when you have a plane to catch
JMHO Surprised

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acemom33 wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

I disagree. My daughter was an assistant coach at Marshall. Between game flims, practice, meeting with other coaches, fund raising, checking up on th players...when is there time to go home and deal with a husband and kids. Not to mention is the child is sick the person they want most is MOM.. so it is kinda hard to call in sick when you have a plane to catch
JMHO Surprised

but it wouldn't be any different for a Man than a Woman.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

It wouldn't? You're not married and you don't have kids, right? Sadly, Mom is still viewed as the primary caregiver, and Dad is expected to soldier on. Female coaches are not exempt from the same career vs family choices that face every woman in the workplace.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

It wouldn't? You're not married and you don't have kids, right? Sadly, Mom is still viewed as the primary caregiver, and Dad is expected to soldier on. Female coaches are not exempt from the same career vs family choices that face every woman in the workplace.

It depends on the situation. If the female coach is making enough money to support the family, their might be a role reversial. (I know plenty of people like that)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: