RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spokane Region
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a side note, that drunk tree has got to be the funniest mascot ever. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Wish I could've seen the post game interview with Agnus. I bet she's so proud of her team.

Clutch WINN. The steely PG had a hand in the outcome in the closing minutes of both games. Sure glad that Mallorie followed Agnus here.

And what a trooper! Six years, two major injuries. If any player deserves her time in the sun, it's Mal. I'm still pulling for Jill Noe at ASU. I don't want these six year players to leave yet! Laughing

PostPosted: 03/25/08 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final home game, shot at a NCAA Tourny record, shot at a Stanford record, setting a personal best. I'd keep her in too.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rids wrote:
Final home game, shot at a NCAA Tourny record, shot at a Stanford record, setting a personal best. I'd keep her in too.

she came out at 3:03. I was worried too about injuries, but Candice earned to stay in to hear all the cheers and praise from the very loyal and rocking Maples crowd. It was a big statement game to wash away memories of FSU.
Besides UTEP starters were still in.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/25/08 3:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Rids wrote:

she came out at 3:03. I was worried too about injuries, but Candice earned to stay in to hear all the cheers and praise from the very loyal and rocking Maples crowd. It was a big statement game to wash away memories of FSU.

Lol, you have to admit that UTEP starters being in couldn't possibly justify keeping Stanford's starters in. The lead was obviously too great to overcome in 3 minutes -- Stanford was not in danger of losing their lead if it was Stanford's Bench vs. UTEP's starters. Laughing Maybe UTEP kept their starters in because they wanted to make a little run at it to make it less of a blowout. Maybe Tara wanted to keep her starters in for the records, but UTEP keeping their starters in was not part of the equation.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/25/08 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
Rids wrote:

Lol, you have to admit that UTEP starters being in couldn't possibly justify keeping Stanford's starters in. The lead was obviously too great to overcome in 3 minutes -- Stanford was not in danger of losing their lead if it was Stanford's Bench vs. UTEP's starters. Laughing Maybe UTEP kept their starters in because they wanted to make a little run at it to make it less of a blowout. Maybe Tara wanted to keep her starters in for the records, but UTEP keeping their starters in was not part of the equation.

if the other coach doesn't call off their dogs. why should the other?

maybe she wanted her to get a triple double, she was 2 assists shy.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[Candice Wiggins making a late run at UTEP - now 42-38]

[Yeah, great, WTF is she still doing in this game???]

Tara does that crap all the time. Leaves Wiggins in w/a big lead. Guess she was trying to make history. Phenominal kid, but taking big chances.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
[Candice Wiggins making a late run at UTEP - now 42-38]

[Yeah, great, WTF is she still doing in this game???]

Tara does that crap all the time. Leaves Wiggins in w/a big lead. Guess she was trying to make history. Phenominal kid, but taking big chances.

You are absolutely incorrect. That does not happen all the time. In fact, it happens basically never, which was why this was so surprising. Stanford pulls their starter very earlier generally and they've been treating Wiggins like fine china for years, to the point of paranoia. I can't tell you how many games I've seen where they've been up by 30, put in the entire back of the bench with 8-10 minutes to go against the other team's starters. I've seen enough 35 point leads turn into 20-25 point leads that way, let me tell you. This one time they took a chance and let her go for some history in her last game at home. Generally I'd say bad move, but you know, for this one time I'm glad they loosened up and let her go.

RockyRacoon

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
On a side note, that drunk tree has got to be the funniest mascot ever. Laughing

Yeah, love the tree!

Regarding the Maryland game tonight, what do we know about Nebraska?

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the tree as well but the outfit this year is really bad. You can see the guy through the leaves in multiple places, and usually that isn't the case at all.

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/25/08 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RockyRacoon wrote:

Joey's blog has his usual game preview info up: http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com/

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/25/08 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
LadyDevilFan wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
Rids wrote:

if the other coach doesn't call off their dogs. why should the other?

maybe she wanted her to get a triple double, she was 2 assists shy.

Because the other coach's team is down by 33 points!! I just happen to think that leaving your starters in to make a loss less of a blowout is much more legitimate than leaving your starters in to set records, but that's JMO. For me it's like trying to lessen humiliation vs. rubbing humiliation in your opponent's face.

Now maybe the UTEP coach being down by 33 should have given her bench players more time in an NCAA game since there was no hope at that point. But like I said above, their reason not to do so, I think, is more legitimate (more ethical, maybe?) than doing so to try to break records.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 03/25/08 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins has been coming out of blowout games way early for 4 years. Last game ever at home for the greatest player in program history who is having an amazing day and is a couple of points from the school single-game scoring record so she got to play a few minutes more than she normally would, mostly because she was busy passing the ball instead of shooting it to get the record. Oh the horror! Under other circumstances she is out of there maybe 5 minutes sooner (8 min to go or so), when the lead was about 25. 6000 people might have strangled VanDerveer if she took Wiggins out too soon. I certainly agree it is not cool to leave starters in too long, but once in a blue moon when it is not the standard operating procedure is not the world's biggest crime. Is there nothing better to nitpick today? Rolling Eyes

RockyRacoon

PostPosted: 03/25/08 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

waterloosunset wrote:
RockyRacoon wrote:

Joey's blog has his usual game preview info up: http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com/

Oooh.. thank you!

PostPosted: 03/25/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RockyRacoon wrote:
waterloosunset wrote:
RockyRacoon wrote:

Oooh.. thank you!

Read their blog...very interesting. I look forward to my lasses playing Maryland.
Given how poorly we've played heading into the draw, beaing Xavier was a massive turnaround. Beating Maryland will depend on will exceeding skill.
For my team to win, we have to make this game Verdun. It has to be grim, tough and crudely effective especially when dealing with Langhorne.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 4:49 pm    ::: Off to the Comcast Center Reply Reply with quote

I'll see if I can report from my handheld during the games.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy managed to get in an Anna Deforge mention. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nancy managed to get in an Anna Deforge mention. Rolling Eyes

I was surprised they even let her call a Nebraska game- conflict of interest much?

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS: Pam Ward & Nancy Lieberman suck as broadcasters.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
BREAKING NEWS: Pam Ward & Nancy Lieberman suck as broadcasters.

Err, old news.

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska will be a team to watch out for next year, they really aren't losing anybody.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/26/08 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, now I'm back. Once the parking lot cleared, it was an easy trip home.

After watching this game, I'm convinced that Maryland can beat anybody but also could lose in the next round.

Nebraska should not have been a challenge, and about halfway through the first half, when it was 32-17, that seemed to be the case. That's when the nice Tennessee/Mystics fan sitting next to me said there didn't seem to be any reason to stay and went home to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Then the Terps fell apart, and it was a pretty complete collapse from there to the end of the half.

The second half was cycles of good Terps/bad Terps, sort of like mini versions of the first half, but in the end the good Terps vanquished the bad Terps and they got some breathing room. Unlike the RU game last night, when ISU never really got quite close enough to make me hold my breath, there were a lot of moments when I'm sure Terps fans were wondering if last year was being repeated.

Tolliver was pretty much a microcosm of the Terps' night. There were times when she was just hideously bad, throwing up crummy shots - even on good looks - and trying ridiculous passes that had almost no chance of working. Then there were others when she played crisply and efficiently. I was a little surprised to see at the end of the game that she had 17 points, but I notice from the box that she was 6-20, including 1-6 from 3, and that, along with the 7 assists and 6 turnovers, more or less seems to sum up her night.

Nebraska was game and played tough. I suspect the game could have turned if the Huskers had been able to capitalize on a couple of breaks, but they never quite did it, and I think that demoralized them.

A few random notes:

1. The Huskers mascot is one of those inflatable suits (GWU has them, too). It does some amazing tricks, including sucking the head into the rest of the outfit and doing headstands. There was one timeout when the Terrapin spent about a minute just watching the Husker and shaking its head. Very funny.

2. There was a fascinating (and I believe correct) over and back call when a Nebraska player passed to another Husker who was on her way across the halfcourt line. The player receiving the pass jumped over the line to catch the pass, but hadn't come down when she caught the ball, and so hadn't established position in the front court.

3. Brenda Frese was in midseason form. It wasn't clear from the stands why she was called for the T, but it certainly didn't stop her from standing outside the box or talking constantly to the trail official the rest of the game.

4. It was a nice crowd. They announced in the 2nd half that the Comcast Center had the highest attendance for the weekend, somewhere north of 22,000.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/26/08 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what's so maddening about Maryland. They have the raw talent, power and athleticism to be truly great. Yet they seem content to only play in spurts (especially on defense) when the mood suits them.

waterloosunset

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The second half was cycles of good Terps/bad Terps,
Yep, the unevenness is a mystery to me. When Marissa releases her inner beast, there's no stopping her. But the beast was MIA in the first half, possibly mesmerized by the Bob's Big Boy mascot (those inflatable mascots creep me out -- the Mystics have one, too and it practically gives me nightmares).

Jade Perry showed up last night and gave the fans some much-needed sparkle and Ashleigh Newman tossing in a three after grabbing an offensive rebound was a big fat relief for me.

Great as those two are, I sure do wish we had more bench than just them.

There was no point in the game last night when I truly believed we'd lose. But I do confess to sitting there wondering how these struggling wins are going to get us to the Final Four. I'm just keeping hope that the confident, brilliant, killer-instinct team that we saw earlier in the season -- the one that smothered LSU, the one that beat Duke home and on the road -- will be back.

And if they do come back, we could slay anybody.

Thanks for the summary, beknighted!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: