RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Greensboro Region
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage

PostPosted: 03/22/08 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal wins over SDU. Can't remember the score but it was something of a 15-20 pt differential in the 70s for Cal.

Rama went down and had to leave the game. Sad Looked like a serious knee injury. Crying or Very sad
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/22/08 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no! Georgia Tech beat themselves...again! Crying or Very sad I wonder if they're sore from all this self-inflicted pain.

Mathies to LA 2013
kage

PostPosted: 03/23/08 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/wires/03/22/2060.ap.bkw.ncaa.cal.gray.lawson.s.sister.0381/

Sad

Things like this remind me that it is just a basketball game. OTH, things like this also make me so grateful that our coach is not just a loyal and good basketball coach but one that runs a good ship and is really someone to look up to for life lessons, not just basketball lessons.

Best of wishes for a speedy recovery to Lexi's sister. Go Bears on Monday.
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/23/08 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Lexi had a lot on her mind.....I'm sending good wishes for a speedy recovery for her sister Kenya....sounds like a very scary time.

I saw Rama outside after the game with the Stanford team doctor....waiting for a shuttle to the hospital.....I patted her on the shoulder and she gave me a big smile....such a sweet person. I heard talk that it could well be an ACL....x-rays were negative, but the MRI will tell the true tale of what's going on.....I hope for the best.

It would a double drag if it is an ACL since the Cal team plans to travel to Rama's native Senegal this summer for a basketball tour.....Rama may be on the sidelines watching.... Sad

On a brighter note, the Cal team look good today.....a team effort all around and Dev and Ash both scored over 20 (first time ever they've done it in the same game).

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/23/08 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay...Bob is calling it. *Uconn game*

PostPosted: 03/23/08 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally random question here, but why is Geno no longer wearing ties? I've noticed in pictures he hasn't at other times this year.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/23/08 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Totally random question here, but why is Geno no longer wearing ties? I've noticed in pictures he hasn't at other times this year.

Probably because Pat complimented his tie once or something? Laughing

PostPosted: 03/23/08 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like UCSB's school colors. Smile

UVA however is having their way.
UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 03/23/08 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAY TO GO TEXAS!!!!

PostPosted: 03/24/08 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Oh no! Georgia Tech beat themselves...again! Crying or Very sad I wonder if they're sore from all this self-inflicted pain.

Like Orange][Krush was I think suggesting a couple of days ago, I thought Mechelle Joseph did a terrible coaching job. What did you think?

Just a couple things were not adjusting to cover the hot 3-pt. shooter (Bolte?) or even make her move off her favorite spot and then not screening "the 1" who was guarding Nnemeka in the box-and-1 so she could get some 3's herself. Georgia Tech has more talent than FSU and nearly as much as Virginia (pg is the main discrepancy) but almost always underachieves.

I think the problems start with the coach. Since GT, as a underperformer with no signature win I can recall, has failed to develop any kind of a fanbase, I have a big question about Atlanta's financial success in the W, but maybe there are legions of UGa wbb fans around there.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/24/08 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
Like Orange][Krush was I think suggesting a couple of days ago, I thought Mechelle Joseph did a terrible coaching job. What did you think? Just a couple things were not adjusting to cover the hot 3-pt. shooter (Bolte?) or even make her move off her favorite spot and then not screening "the 1" who was guarding Nnemeka in the box-and-1 so she could get some 3's herself.

Joseph did a decent coaching job overall, but a great deal of her in-game decision-making was pretty bad. She refused to play zone against UNC, a decision that cost her team two games. I'm not surprised she didn't adjust in the second half because that's not what she does. For a "young coach", she's pretty damn stubborn.

It also doesn't help that she's a total hothead who suffers from diarrhea of the mouth.

dukemayo wrote:
Georgia Tech has more talent than FSU and nearly as much as Virginia (pg is the main discrepancy) but almost always underachieves.

They may have more talent than F$U, but F$U has a true point guard and a center (too bad she hasn't been attending to her academics). UVA has a true point guard and a center. UNC has a true point guard and a center. Duke and Maryland have combo guards paired up with forwards playing center, but they're still better than anything Georgia Tech can put at those positions. Even Boston College has a true point guard and a center. It's not hard, then, to see why the Yellow Jackets didn't experience too much success this season--especially in the ACC.

Cam and I discussed GT in early January, and both of us were unimpressed with the schedule that Joseph and the GT AD put together. It appeared that the schedule was created to get GT 20-22 wins overall and seven ACC wins--with a shot at getting into the NCAA Tournament. Well, that's exactly what happened. I, for one, was never sold on GT like most WCBB fans were for some reason--maybe because I thought the loss of Higgs would hurt them more than everyone expected. She was the only one on the roster in 2006-07 who could get her own shot anytime she wanted. Neither Nnamaka nor Mitchell can create their own shot consistently, and Williams/Montgomery/Ingram are/were too wild to avoid foul trouble in their pursuit to generate offense.

dukemayo wrote:
I think the problems start with the coach. Since GT, as a underperformer with no signature win I can recall, has failed to develop any kind of a fanbase, I have a big question about Atlanta's financial success in the W, but maybe there are legions of UGa wbb fans around there.

Well, they did beat Maryland last year. Still, that win turned out to be not as big a signature win as people thought at the time.

The problems do start with the coach because she doesn't recruit the two crucial pieces she needs to be successful in the ACC. You cannot thrive in the ACC without some semblance of an ACC-caliber PG and a post presence. When the game slows down into possession basketball, Georgia Tech oftentimes looks disorganized. Can't really use the "youth excuse", either, because they had three seniors who played at least 25 minutes each. By contrast, FSU, UVA, and Duke only had one senior each who received significant minutes.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/24/08 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Cam and I discussed GT in early January, and both of us were unimpressed with the schedule that Joseph and the GT AD put together. It appeared that the schedule was created to get GT 20-22 wins overall and seven ACC wins--with a shot at getting into the NCAA Tournament. Well, that's exactly what happened.

Georgia Tech defeated Temple (RPI 50) and Iowa State (RPI 47), both early in the season. The team lost to Georgia (RPI 35).

Of their remaining 12 opponents, the highest RPI was 106. 7 of the 12 had an RPI of 193 or worse. Combined, the average RPI for the 12 non-conference opponents outside of Temple, Iowa State, and Georgia was 208!!!!

bballfan2005 wrote:
Neither Nnamaka nor Mitchell can create their own shot consistently

...and even when Nnamaka and Mitchell can create their own shot, they don't hit consistently. They can hit them against lesser opponents, but not against quality competition. Against Duke, which swarmed GaTech, the two combined to go 9-30 from the floor. Against Virginia, in the ACC Tournament, the two combined to go 5-24 from the floor. Throw some good defense at them, and they are shut down.

Nnamaka and Mitchell also average a combined SIX turnovers per game. They combined to get only one assist for every three turnovers they committed!

bballfan2005 wrote:
Williams/Montgomery/Ingram are/were too wild to avoid foul trouble in their pursuit to generate offense.

And that is the other part of the problem...a good point guard would have been able to set up players like Hemingway and Montgomery to harness some of the wilder tendencies of the young players.

Problem is, there is no true point guard who is ACC caliber. And Georgia Tech loses seniors, so the team will actually be younger next year...and likely not any better.

bballfan2005 wrote:
You cannot thrive in the ACC without some semblance of an ACC-caliber PG and a post presence.

Part of the reason why BC went 7-7 in the league is that the Eagles had a true point guard and two young, solid post players.

kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal starting out weird. Sad
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three-fest on both sides. O_O
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal is playing a little out of control. Boyle calls a time out to settle them down.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh oh. The swelling is so bad on Rama's knee that they decided to put it off till Tuesday. Crying or Very sad

That's ... not so good.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG. Our guards are making shots! We're 4-4 outside the arc. Shocked

GO Greif! Go Vital! Go Lexi! Wooo!! GO BEARS!
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was ALL BALL. Refs being stupid again. .v.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're hitting shots! We're hitting shots!

YES! Go Bears!

20-12 Cal atm.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're still giving them a bit too much room on offense. :/
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

23-17. C'mon Bears...
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

25-20... Ugh. This is so nerve wracking.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please... pressure Beck. Don't go under the screen. Over!
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

29-23 Cal.
kage

PostPosted: 03/24/08 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dammit. I wish I could have found transportation to this game... Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: