RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/24/08 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be Boston College at St. John's on Thursday night, as BC knocked off Vermont and St. John's held on against Iona (for which game notes will be forthcoming).

PostPosted: 03/24/08 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Illinois wins 48-44!

Drake never went away, and they are a really quality team. I actually had them in my NCAA bracket.

Oh, and this was win number 20 for Illinois. Our first 20-win season since '99/'00.

Congrats, ladies!

And guess where they get to play next Smile? Marquette hosts the Illini at 7p central on Wednesday. Marquette had a big lead on Creighton in the second half that they blew - they were down two with 9 secs to go and Krystal Ellis' shot fell short near the end but Janelle Harris' putback with under 1 sec to go to tie it. MU pulled away in OT and won 75-69. I'm still not sure how they really pulled it out but am happy they found a way to win Smile.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/24/08 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to St. John's, the Illini and Marquette. Nice work by Jolette at Illinois. We RU fans always knew she'd be good.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/24/08 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so it's not the important dance, but it's nice to have one of my teams dancing unexpectedly, as St. John's picked up a win against Iona tonight at Carnesecca Arena.

Clearly our band decided that they didn't have to show anything remotely resembling effort- not that they're very good in the first place, but tonight was exceptionally awful. We were wincing by the end of it, it was that bad. I got the sense during early shootaround that some of the Red Storm didn't care about this game as much as they would about a normal game, but that got shaken out of them in a hurry; perhaps they expected Iona to be an easy opponent?

I owe Iona a big favor for last year- indirectly, they're responsible for my bragging rights in the bracket challenge by giving me cause to take Marist over Ohio State. They also produced Martina Weber, so I have to give them some love for that. They play tough, they play physical, and they fear no one and nothing. The MAAC may be a two-team league, but those two teams are pretty damn bad-ass. They have a big center, Anna McLean (who obviously confused the daylights out of St. John's fans who are used to McLean being one of the good guys), who isn't afraid to use her size to get inside. They bring (or brought) forward Jessica Smith, who's got a nicely balanced game, and off the bench they had a Serbian forward, Anda Ivkovic, who's only a freshman and has a gorgeous shot- I'd like her a whole lot better if she weren't a dirty player with a nasty set of elbows. Lauren DeFalco bombed a couple of deep, deep threes- we're talking professional range, maybe even NBA range. Their coach is a little insane- okay, a lot insane- but he's done well with what he has. I'm not sure how long Iona can hold on to the #2 slot in the MAAC; they're losing a lot to graduation, although they have some good freshmen in Ivkovic and Catherine Lutz.

For St. John's, this game was all about the second half. While Tiina and Sky did all their scoring in the first half- and for Sky, that scoring was almost completely neutralized by her boneheaded mistakes and Coach's odd insistence on using her as a point guard when there were actual point guards on the floor- Kelly and Joy combined for 13, and Kia loaded up on free throws and layups to score 12 of her 14, in the second half. Kia wanted this game too much, I think; she didn't play as smartly as she knows how to, although she steadied in the second half, and her hustle in the paint was unfreakingbelievable. Monique took over on offense, and for a change she wasn't forcing bad shots. Sky, on the other hand- we will not talk about Sky's shot selection or her court vision tonight. Tiina… so inconsistent. So blonde. So Euro. Joy was dead quiet in the first half- I thought she was having flashbacks to the preseason NIT game last year, when she was one of the only five Red Storm players remaining for the second half against an Iona team that lacked Martina Weber but that pushed Marist all through MAAC play. Someone kicked her in the ass during halftime, though; she came out hustling more like herself, going up strong with the ball instead of trying to bring it down and getting stripped, and performing what's become her signature offensive move, the pell-mell drive down the lane capped by a sweeping hook from the right side. Off the bench, Kelly made some great defensive plays against the baseline and hit a big three that got St. John's some breathing room from the stubborn Gaels. Sheree got a lot of time, and I liked that; she's become our sparkplug, the catalyst for a backcourt trap that makes me all tingly inside. The more I see of her, the more I like her, because she brings so much energy and because she balances the enjoyment of the game with attention to the game. Some of our players have so much fun that they seem to forget to pay attention to what they're supposed to be doing. Recee came in to try and balance out McLean, because that big girl was doing all kinds of bodily harm to our skinny posts. Kristin and Coco got minutes; I don't think Coco did much with her minutes, though she certainly had enough of them.

I wasn't expecting genius from the zebras tonight, since anyone who's worth a good goddamn should be calling the NCAA tournament, but there were some pretty egregious misses, and some questionable out of bounds calls. I'm still trying to figure out how Coco got called for her first foul.

Iona brought a big loud fan contingent. Major props to them- yes, I know, it's not exactly a long trip, but I didn't know how many Iona fans there were out there. At some points, they were drowning us out. It's good to see a good team well supported. Good for the game, good for the team, good for the other fans.

The VIP seats went to a couple of McLeans. I wasn't sure if they were Monique's, Anna's, or completely random McLeans until the end of the game, when Monique came upstairs, hugged the lady McLean, and called her momma. Papa McLean said he wasn't sure if he could make it up on Thursday, but he's going to have to, and Papa Wright's just going to have to wear that tie again, because we need all the help we can get against a big, strong Boston College team.

We had the pleasure of sitting next to a couple of fellow Liberty season ticket holders (they have better seats than we do, though). If by sheer dumb luck, you happen to be one of those Section 70 ladies, holler.

I thought the ride was over against Louisville, so I'm just holding on for dear life and grinning from ear to ear. I'll go as far as my team takes me, bay-bee.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:16 am    ::: Re: Michigan Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan dominated VCU tonight, 75-57, shooting 62% overall and 59% from three. Their first half field goal percentage was 72%!

Their next opponent will be Southern Miss, who beat Miss. State by a point tonight. Michigan gets the home floor on Thursday.

That sure was a fun game to attend! Even had a nice crowd. Let's hope for another good showing by the women on Thursday! Sure is nice to be playing again in the post season....it's been too long...

IllogicalVulcan

PostPosted: 03/25/08 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Side note on last night's St. John's/Iona game: according to the Iona fans I was sitting near, in the middle of the first half, Lauren DeFalco broke Iona's 3-point record.

ChiChi

PostPosted: 03/25/08 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC State 72-69 South Carolina
Dang, for just the WNIT, and the usual crowd, Reynolds was rockin!!! That was some of the best 2nd half atmosphere in awhile. We've been blessed - another home game Thursday . Very Happy
Shayla was on fire too.

Senior's play turns Pack around

Quote:
The Wolfpack advances to the third round and will play Florida on Thursday night at Reynolds Coliseum.

"I was thinking: 'I'm not ready to stop. I'm not ready to end my career,' " Whittington said. "So [in the second half] I just buckled down and played smarter. We played smarter."

N.C. State's Chanita Jordan hurt a knee during the game. Coach Kay Yow said the injury could be a ligament tear, and she was unsure about Jordan's availability for Thursday.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see some chatter about the WNIT.

6 of my 8 picks for the Elite 8 are still alive (and all four of my Final Four picks as well).

Western Carolina I thought would do well in the tournament but sadly they got their heads handed to them in the first round by Middle Tennessee.

My main rooting interest is Boston College. I root for the men and women to begin with but really got into the women's team as they came up with a great season when no one expected them to do much of anything.

I coach youth basketball, both a boys and a girls team. I took my girls (3rd - 5th graders) up to see Boston College play NC State on January 6th and it turned out to be a real eye opening experience for them. They had a blast and got to meet the team after the game.

So I'm really hoping that the Eagles can continue to win in the WNIT starting against St. John's on Thursday.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/08 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Nice to see some chatter about the WNIT.

6 of my 8 picks for the Elite 8 are still alive (and all four of my Final Four picks as well).

Western Carolina I thought would do well in the tournament but sadly they got their heads handed to them in the first round by Middle Tennessee.

My main rooting interest is Boston College. I root for the men and women to begin with but really got into the women's team as they came up with a great season when no one expected them to do much of anything.

I coach youth basketball, both a boys and a girls team. I took my girls (3rd - 5th graders) up to see Boston College play NC State on January 6th and it turned out to be a real eye opening experience for them. They had a blast and got to meet the team after the game.

So I'm really hoping that the Eagles can continue to win in the WNIT starting against St. John's on Thursday.

We'll have to disagree on that last bit. Wink So who should I be looking at on Thursday? I've heard a lot about Swords.

PostPosted: 03/25/08 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

We'll have to disagree on that last bit. Wink So who should I be looking at on Thursday? I've heard a lot about Swords.

Boston College has a real scrappy group. Swords and Stefanie Murphy give BC a really big post presence, Ayla Brown can play anywhere on the floor and she can shoot and board. (She is the "hero" of all the girls on my youth league team)

Jaclyn Thoman does a good job running the point, Rebecca Miles is a steadying influence who does all the little things well. Brittany Johnson is coming off a career high 20 point game against Vermont.

And my own personal favorite, the left handed sharp shooting redhead Mickel Picco. She can bang threes all game long and does a good job as a back up point guard option behind Thoman.

The Eagles make their share of mistakes but they are also capable of being a real force. They are a young team with mostly freshmen and sophomores but I am seeing good things in future season for them. Of course I wouldn't mind the future being now in the WNIT.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette ends the season for my Illini 72-64. Sad Tough game, but overall, it was a pretty good season, especially with a new coach.

Congrats to MarquetteFan and your team. We pushed you guys, and you guys responded well. Good luck in the future!

PostPosted: 03/26/08 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All three games ended up in the losing column for me tonight. With Texas Tech and Illinois losing, I have now lost 1 of my Final Four picks and one of my championship game participants.

Tomorrow is the BC game and I'm hoping that the link provided on their home page will work so I can watch the game online.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/26/08 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Marquette ends the season for my Illini 72-64. Sad Tough game, but overall, it was a pretty good season, especially with a new coach.

Congrats to MarquetteFan and your team. We pushed you guys, and you guys responded well. Good luck in the future!

Thanks. I know it's tough to have the season end but you are right in that it was a pretty good season and I think the future is bright for the Illini with a good coach in place.

It was a big game of runs especially in the first half. MU started out playing well going up 7-0 and then 25-12 before the Illini went on a 10-0 run to pull within 25-22. MU then hit two 3 pointers back to back to go up 31-22 with 4:26 to go in the half but then the Illini responded in fine fashion to go on a 14-0 run to go up 36-31 at the half. I wasn't surprised MU lost the lead as they have trouble holding onto leads but was quite frustrated with their inconsistent play and they truthfully seemed to not have their heads in the game for the last part of the first half. But that's not to take away from Illinois - they fought back and played well also.

Marquette started out the second half on a 15-0 run and took the lead for good but the lead didn't feel comfortable until there were about 30 seconds left to go in the game. MU took their biggest lead of the game at 57-44 with 8:46 to go but the Illini got within 4 at 63-59 with 1:17 to go in the game. Illinois did well executing at the end when they were trying to pull this one out in that they both scored quickly and fouled quickly so there wasn't a lot of time coming off the clock - of course it didn't end up working for them but I did notice they were efficient at the end.

The Illini had 4 players in double figures and I notice they don't have much depth right now with only 7 players getting in the game and the starters getting the vast majority of the minutes and all the shot attempts came from the starters. Lacey Simpson set a career high with 14 rebounds along with her 12 points. Lori Bjork led the Illini with 19 points and I see she was 3 of 9 from the field - felt like she made a lot more 3's than that. Jenna Smith and Rebecca Harris both had 14 points.

Marquette had three players in double figures led by Krystal Ellis with 25, frosh Angel Robinson had 16 and frosh Jocelyn Mellen had 10. In what was likely her last game at 'The Al', senior Svetlana Kovalenko tied a career high with 13 rebounds. Robinson had 6 assists and Ellis had 5 assists.

This game highlited Marquette's biggest issue all season - the inability to put together a complete game. They started out on fire and fell apart in the first half and had their moments in the second half. Hopefully they can find some consistency next season. MU has 6 frosh this year so this is good experience for some of the younger players.

The Illini had a good turnout of fans and some of their fans were noticeably loud during some MU free throw attempts but I didn't mind as MU seemed to make the FT's when the fans were yelling Smile. I also spotted UW's Jolene Anderson at the game sitting with some Illini fans (who I think may have been parents of one of the Illini players).

MU next plays at Kentucky on Sunday at 1p central.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/27/08 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/032608aaa.html
Quote:
"Our record doesn't indicate how much we've grown this year," Law said. "Overall there were a lot of positives this season, especially these last few weeks. The challenge now is to carry this over and build on it for next year. I'm so proud of our seniors for everything they've given this program and I am excited about what we have coming back."

PostPosted: 03/27/08 9:03 pm    ::: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

Michigan beat Southern Miss tonight in Ann Arbor, 59-45, leading by as many as 26 points in the 2nd half.

In-state rivals Michigan State and Michigan meet Sunday in East Lansing at 2:00.

They split the Big Ten season, with each team winning at home.

Koopster

PostPosted: 03/27/08 9:21 pm    ::: Re: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan beat Southern Miss tonight in Ann Arbor, 59-45, leading by as many as 26 points in the 2nd half.

In-state rivals Michigan State and Michigan meet Sunday in East Lansing at 2:00.

The turnaround in Ann Arbor is amazing...I haven't been impressed with some of the characteristics of the coach, but you cannot argue with the results Shocked

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/08 9:39 pm    ::: Re: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

Koopster wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

The turnaround in Ann Arbor is amazing...I haven't been impressed with some of the characteristics of the coach, but you cannot argue with the results Shocked

Agreed. This is the first time in program history that the team has won two games in any post-season (not conference) tournament.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/08 9:58 pm    ::: Quarterfinals Reply Reply with quote

TCU vs Colorado
Marquette vs. Kentucky
Michigan vs. Michigan State
St. Johns vs. NC State

Other than MSU, I don't know which are the home teams.

ChiChi

PostPosted: 03/27/08 10:26 pm    ::: Re: Quarterfinals Reply Reply with quote

NC State 80-55 Florida
31 pts. for Shayla Fields
I think KD had a dbl/dbl of course
whooho... quarterfinals vs. St. Johns (dang it, why'd BC have to go and lose Evil or Very Mad . Our game against the Red Storm was one of the worst all year!).

mzonefan wrote:
TCU vs Colorado
Marquette vs. Kentucky
St. Johns vs. NC State

NC State is going to be at Reynolds Sunday.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/27/08 10:28 pm    ::: Re: Quarterfinals Reply Reply with quote

ChiChi wrote:
NC State 80-55 Florida
31 pts. for Shayla Fields
I think KD had a dbl/dbl of course
whooho... quarterfinals vs. St. Johns (dang it, why'd BC have to go and lose Evil or Very Mad . Our game against the Red Storm was one of the worst all year!).

mzonefan wrote:
TCU vs Colorado
Marquette vs. Kentucky
St. Johns vs. NC State

NC State is going to be at Reynolds Sunday.

I don't suppose there's anyone going from Greensboro on Saturday back to Raleigh? Mom and I are debating whether going to Carolina is a good idea, and I'll be damned if I go to Carolina without going to see Rutgers in the Sweet Sixteen. I'd go double or nothing in a heartbeat to see both my teams.

Oh, BTW, ChiChi… we have Kia for this game. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/28/08 5:55 am    ::: Re: Quarterfinals Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
TCU vs Colorado
Marquette vs. Kentucky
St. Johns vs. NC State

Colorado, Kentucky, MSU and NC State are all hosting this round.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/28/08 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My picks are all shot to hell.

Now I've only got North Carolina State left alive and I have them as the NIT Champions, so maybe there will be some salvaging of this bracket.

shock6666

PostPosted: 03/28/08 11:39 am    ::: Re: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Go Blue!! Great game to attend last night! It has us a little nervous for a bit when the shooting went cold but they sure got it together. Sunday's game is going to be a good one. I just wish I was going to be closer to town and could attend! I'm assuming you're attending mzonefan? If so, have a great time and cheer loud!!!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/28/08 12:43 pm    ::: Re: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Go Blue!! Great game to attend last night! It has us a little nervous for a bit when the shooting went cold but they sure got it together. Sunday's game is going to be a good one. I just wish I was going to be closer to town and could attend! I'm assuming you're attending mzonefan? If so, have a great time and cheer loud!!!

Yes, I just talked to the person organizing the bus trip, and we have at least two busses already. Go Blue!

shock6666

PostPosted: 03/28/08 1:59 pm    ::: Re: Michgan vs. Southern Miss Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
shock6666 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Yes, I just talked to the person organizing the bus trip, and we have at least two busses already. Go Blue!

That's awesome, 2 busses so far!! I'm sure there will also be a bunch of people going on their own as well. A bunch of my friends ordered their tickets this morning. Man, I wish I was in town this weekend!!! Enjoy! This has been a long time coming!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: