RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
I wonder if the Pac-10 teams aren't a little stupid to turn down a bid? If they won, it would be at least some pubilicty for the conference. They need to find some way to fight the east coast bias.

Can't comment on the UCLA situation, but I don't think it's smart for Mark Trakh to keep turning down WNIT bids for his team. The extra practices and games can actually be beneficial for his team--a team that looks lost out on the court more often than not. And before someone mentions the "injury factor", let me just point out that the "fear of injuries" didn't stop him from accepting NCAA bids in 2005 and 2006.

Mathies to LA 2013
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to Southern Miss' site and was surprised to see they were hosting a Selection Show party. But then I realized they were doing this to see what their WNIT chances were as if UTEP didn't make the NCAA's they took the WNIT automatic berth for CUSA but if they went to the NCAA's, then Southern Miss would get the WNIT automatic bid which is what happened. I've never heard of a Selection Show party for a team who knows they have no shot at making the NCAA's but I guess it makes sense for them if the automatic berth was the only way they were going to get into the WNIT. I guess they were cheering pretty loud when they saw UTEP on the screen Smile.

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031708aaa.html

kage

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
hooper1 wrote:
I wonder if the Pac-10 teams aren't a little stupid to turn down a bid? If they won, it would be at least some pubilicty for the conference. They need to find some way to fight the east coast bias.

Can't comment on the UCLA situation, but I don't think it's smart for Mark Trakh to keep turning down WNIT bids for his team. The extra practices and games can actually be beneficial for his team--a team that looks lost out on the court more often than not. And before someone mentions the "injury factor", let me just point out that the "fear of injuries" didn't stop him from accepting NCAA bids in 2005 and 2006.

Yeah, UCLA, I understand, esp. since they don't have a coach yet!

USC... not so much. Think their team needs the experience.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/08 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
hooper1 wrote:

I see USC was the 4 seed in the PAC 10 Tourney so they would have been in line to get the automatic WNIT berth. It can be assumed they turned down the bid - I wonder if they then ask UCLA if they want to go or if USC turning down the WNIT just takes away the automatic berth for the PAC 10.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/18/08 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
kage wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
hooper1 wrote:

I see USC was the 4 seed in the PAC 10 Tourney so they would have been in line to get the automatic WNIT berth. It can be assumed they turned down the bid - I wonder if they then ask UCLA if they want to go or if USC turning down the WNIT just takes away the automatic berth for the PAC 10.

I agree that Mark Trakh is a bit bone-headed when it comes to the WNIT. Oftentimes, a good showing in the tourney can lead to the NCAA tourney the following year (except in Oregon's case of course). Last year's excuse was that he allowed the seniors to decide. But I'm not sure what the call is this year. In any case, he's on the hot seat anyway. If he doesn't turn the program around this next year, he's out and maybe they'll actually make the main tournament.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 03/18/08 8:37 am    ::: Here's to hoping Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Thanks... I read where UK put in a bid to host through the first four rounds. I guess they're willing to spend $$$ to host.

Thanks for letting me know. My bracket still is blank!

Here's to giving UK a one and done in the WNIT. Very Happy

Should be a good crowd coming up from Murfreesboro if we can get by a Western Carolina team that beat us on our home court early in the season.

Orion

PostPosted: 03/18/08 3:16 pm    ::: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

I am an American University fan (Melissa McFerrin, formerly of the Mystics, is the coach), so that is another team of interest to RebKellians. Cool

I believe it is better to be playing in a post-season tournament than not, but the WNIT seems a little rushed. The team found out Monday around midnight that they were playing Villanova on Wednesday. Time to check films? Practice for that team? Seems a little disorganized to me. They can have one practice and then head for Philly. What kind of game can one expect with that amount of time to prepare?

PostPosted: 03/18/08 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprise! Laughing

At least, it'll be interesting, right? At that point, it's probably whoever has the best in game adjustments (or overwhelming talent) wins.
ChiChi

PostPosted: 03/18/08 7:54 pm    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
For those of us following mediocre programs, this is the link for you! Wink

Ahhhaha.
Well, the WNIT's not too exciting, but I'm glad to be able to see at least one more Pack game this season.

The Wolfpack will receive a first-round bye, and will host the winner of the South Carolina-North Carolina A&T game.

Quote:
1975-76, Coach Kay Yow’s first season with NC State, was the last time the red and white took part in the postseason WNIT.

That struck me as kind of sad, for the team to come full circle in what could be Yow's last season. Still...glad she made the decision to play in the tournament. It could only help the youngins to get some confidence back, if they can have some success, even if it is 'mediocre' success. Laughing Hope Yow doesn't play KD too much, b.c. I think she has a good chance of a 2nd round draft spot. Playing in the WNIT won't improve that, but it could hurt... please please no pointless injuries.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/18/08 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so the ND game wasn't the last hurrah for Kia Wright and Tiina Sten after all. We play the winner of Quinnipiac-Iona on Monday, and I really hope it's a night game. I also hope it's Iona. I've already seen Quinnipiac, and they're good.

PostPosted: 03/19/08 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck to my UC Davis Aggies! Off to Spokane for a lil Ags and Zags! Very nice showing after making the jump from DII...

Definitely good luck to the Pack Chi Chi, send coach Yow out in style!!

ChiChi

PostPosted: 03/19/08 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:
Good luck to my UC Davis Aggies! Off to Spokane for a lil Ags and Zags! Very nice showing after making the jump from DII...

Thanks, good luck to your Aggies (unless we meet in April Wink ). Oh, and I've since been corrected... Kay Yow currently plans to stay on another season Cool

Orion

PostPosted: 03/19/08 10:12 pm    ::: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Teh AU Eagles lost to Villanova 53-52 on a last second basket. Crying or Very sad

Still, a pretty good season for them.

Hope the other mediocre programs do better than we did.

PostPosted: 03/19/08 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiChi wrote:
kbailey3131 wrote:

Thanks, good luck to your Aggies (unless we meet in April Wink ). Oh, and I've since been corrected... Kay Yow currently plans to stay on another season Cool

Heck yeah, if we're meeting in April it's ON...but until then....Wink

Good to hear that coach will be back on the sideline next season. I may try to make it to Raleigh again in December, and see if the schedule will cooperate and I can make a game in Durham and Columbia while I'm visiting family.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/20/08 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton won 76-69 tonight at South Dakota State. Marquette hosts Creighton on Monday night - I'm so happy that Marquette will get a home game afterall in the WNIT. Kudos to the South Dakota State fans - their attendance tonight was 4,699 according to the radio announcer - no surprise that they would have hosted Marquette had they won tonight.

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 03/21/08 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New kids on the (Big West) block UC Davis fell in Spokane 81-60 to Gonzaga...

Hellavua first season in Division I though...congrats! It should only get better from here.... Cool

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/21/08 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:

Hellavua first season in Division I though...congrats! It should only get better from here.... Cool

Congratulations to the Aggies (wish they would have won!) on their great season. I'm looking forward to seeing them next year.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/08 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kbailey3131 wrote:

Gonzaga had the highest RPI (39) of any team not to make the NCAA tournament.

kbailey3131

PostPosted: 03/21/08 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which is all the reason for the program to be still smiling right now. Coach Simpson had told them that (and I'm paraphrasing what I saw that he said) when the hurt of losing stops, they'll realize what big things they accomplished as a team over the course of what they're calling a "historic season". They've got some room for growth.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/21/08 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the first round 2 game, Kentucky pulled out a close one over Middle Tennessee State in overtime - 68-66. There were two more round 1 games tonight and VCU at Charlotte and UW-Green Bay at Drake tomorrow are the last of the round 1 games. Iona and Creighton are the only road teams so far to post victories and I'm very happy about that Creighton win since it means Marquette now gets to host a WNIT game Smile.

Here's the updated bracket: http://www.womensnit.com/photos/bracket.pdf

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/22/08 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova defeats Wisconsin 60-54. Final game for Jolene, Danielle and Janese.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/22/08 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drake beat UW-Green Bay, 66-56 I think. They'll come to Chambana on Monday!!!

PostPosted: 03/24/08 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
Villanova defeats Wisconsin 60-54. Final game for Jolene, Danielle and Janese.

And Lisa?

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/24/08 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Illinois wins 48-44!

Drake never went away, and they are a really quality team. I actually had them in my NCAA bracket.

Oh, and this was win number 20 for Illinois. Our first 20-win season since '99/'00.

Congrats, ladies!

PostPosted: 03/24/08 9:26 pm    ::: Michigan Reply Reply with quote

Michigan dominated VCU tonight, 75-57, shooting 62% overall and 59% from three. Their first half field goal percentage was 72%!

Their next opponent will be Southern Miss, who beat Miss. State by a point tonight. Michigan gets the home floor on Thursday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: