RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Happy anniversary, Stanford fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/15/08 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheWildJacko wrote:
I'm a Stanford fan, and typically I'd be annoyed about people bringing up the Harvard game, but...this debate is lame. Like, really lame. Has anybody accomplished anything?

The Harvard game DOES have historical value. It's the only game of its kind. Harvard fans SHOULD be proud, and Stanford fans can gripe (and we do), but there's no changing the fact that we lost that game. There WERE mitigating circumstances, but there were mitigating circumstances for just about every event in history. It's all a matter of degree. You are arguing as if you are somehow trying to either prove or disprove that the game in fact happened. That argument will go nowhere, as there is nothing to debate. Do we really care which team or which coach has pulled the biggest choke jobs in the past decade? Are we 13 year olds? Hm, wait, this is a message board, after all...

What is more relevant to today is, Does this year's Stanford team relate in any way to the team that lost the Harvard game? NO. Does anyone think it likely that this year's Stanford team will repeat the Harvard game? Honestly? I doubt it. Does anyone wish such injuries upon Stanford before the tournament? I'd be shocked if anyone on this message board did, no matter what they may think of the Stanford program. Does anyone think that when the media brings up the Harvard game, it will do anything more than fuel another argument on this message board or another one like it? Again, probably not.

Can we move on?

I agree with most of your pts. I know it will be brought up, even more so this year because Stanford should be #1, and it's the 10th anniv of the game. I too want the attention paid to this year's team. The Duke poster here didn't know about the injuries, which is an example how the media has not been responsible, which is my pt more so than the game itself. Is that asking too much, or for pilight not to rub in our nose every yr? Yes. Are we 13? Prollly.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/15/08 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
The Duke poster here didn't know about the injuries, which is an example how the media has not been responsible, which is my pt more so than the game itself.

So it is the media's fault? So every detail of every story has to be mentioned, otherwise the media is to blame? Really...does every upset loss come with an explanatory paragraph ten years later?

It couldn't possibly be that the poster didn't follow women's hoops as closely then.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/15/08 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
The Duke poster here didn't know about the injuries, which is an example how the media has not been responsible, which is my pt more so than the game itself.

So it is the media's fault? So every detail of every story has to be mentioned, otherwise the media is to blame? Really...does every upset loss come with an explanatory paragraph ten years later?

It couldn't possibly be that the poster didn't follow women's hoops as closely then.

yep. I certainly don't expect every detail, just simples facts leading to the game, that no other team lost 2 AAs days before a NCAA, so one fact goes with the other regarding history. Do you think it wouldn't be reported if Taurarsi/Bird, Holdsclaw/Catchings, Syl/Simone, etc missed a NCAA game? At that time, Folkl and Nygaard were equally important to Stanford.

Rothum

PostPosted: 03/15/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

yep. I certainly don't expect every detail, just simples facts leading to the game, that no other team lost 2 AAs days before a NCAA, so one fact goes with the other regarding history. Do you think it wouldn't be reported if Taurarsi/Bird, Holdsclaw/Catchings, Syl/Simone, etc missed a NCAA game? At that time, Folkl and Nygaard were equally important to Stanford.

funny, but when I hear about Taurasi's awful game and ND beating UConn, it's usually an afterthought that the injuries to Ralph and Sveta get mentioned. So, uh, you're mistaken there.

And you're claim Stanford should be #1 is laughable, unless you meant to say A #1 seed. Because no way in hell does Stanford deserve to be ranked over a UConn team that dominated them.

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
njjosh

PostPosted: 03/15/08 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

funny, but when I hear about Taurasi's awful game and ND beating UConn, it's usually an afterthought that the injuries to Ralph and Sveta get mentioned. So, uh, you're mistaken there.

And you're claim Stanford should be #1 is laughable, unless you meant to say A #1 seed. Because no way in hell does Stanford deserve to be ranked over a UConn team that dominated them.

Svetland Abrosimova was injured against Tennessee at the beginning of that February. Shea Ralph was injured in the Big East tournament title game. Neither were the week of an NCAA Tournament game.

Oh, and Notre Dame kicked UConn's a$$ earlier that season when both of those players were healthy.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/15/08 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Rothum wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

Svetland Abrosimova was injured against Tennessee at the beginning of that February. Shea Ralph was injured in the Big East tournament title game. Neither were the week of an NCAA Tournament game.

Oh, and Notre Dame kicked UConn's a$$ earlier that season when both of those players were healthy.

of course I meant #1 seed vs. overall 1 seed. Doh.

I will repeat again for those whose can't read well, NO team lost 2 AAs DAYS before a NCAA game. I know when Svet, Shea, Catchings all went down with injuries. ND wasn't a 16 seed, were they?

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/15/08 3:35 pm    ::: another Ivy difference Reply Reply with quote

The one other difference with the Ivies is that even if admitted, a player can choose NOT to play and that fact would not influence what financial aid they did or didn't receive.....however, a player on an athletic scholarship (injury aside) would likely loose that scholarship if they chose for not to play the sport for which they were "recruited." Athletics help one get accepted, but that doesn't mean the athlete is obligated in any way to play a sport.....

I think the Ivies can and do look for diversity of experience and what individual students can bring to the college (most colleges do) so of course athletic achievement is not a negative on one's application....

Also, the coaches certainly do provide a "wish list" to the admissions office, but that does not guarantee admission....unless of course, your last name is Kennedy Wink).....

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/15/08 4:32 pm    ::: Re: another Ivy difference Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, the coaches certainly do provide a "wish list" to the admissions office, but that does not guarantee admission....unless of course, your last name is Kennedy Wink).....
[/quote]

or Bush

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/15/08 6:39 pm    ::: Re: another Ivy difference Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Quote:

or Bush[/quote]

True dat! Rolling Eyes

dukemayo

PostPosted: 03/15/08 7:34 pm    ::: Re: another Ivy difference Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
Quote:

or Bush

True dat! Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Actually, I understand (sorry that I can't document it) that Jeb didn't get into Yale because the standards for legacy cases were tightened between the time George was admitted and Jeb applied. Jeb got a degree at Texas.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/08 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to inflame things any further, but I've always wondered exactly how much flak Olympia Scott-Richardson caught from Allison Feaster when they were Sting teammates. Just food for thought.

Question, though: if two starters were lost to injuries right before the tournament, did the injuries happen after the bracket was announced, or did the committee honestly think Stanford could defend a #1 seed without two of their major players? Forgive me if I sound ignorant; in 1998, I was still getting into the Liberty, never mind the college game.

PostPosted: 03/15/08 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Not to inflame things any further, but I've always wondered exactly how much flak Olympia Scott-Richardson caught from Allison Feaster when they were Sting teammates. Just food for thought.

Question, though: if two starters were lost to injuries right before the tournament, did the injuries happen after the bracket was announced, or did the committee honestly think Stanford could defend a #1 seed without two of their major players? Forgive me if I sound ignorant; in 1998, I was still getting into the Liberty, never mind the college game.

Vanessa Nygaard, a third team AA, and senior leader who held the 3 pt record for single season at the time, went down on Sat. night at Oregon St., which was the night before the selection show on Sun.

Her initial MRI on Sunday morning at Stanford was inconclusive due to the swelling. She expected to play with a brace, but the 2nd MRI on Monday, the day after the brackets were set, showed an ACL tear. This was 5 days before H game.

Kristin Folkl, a Jr. 1st team and Kodak AA, leading rebounder and scorer, tore her ACL during practice on Tuesday, after the brackets were set and 4 days before H game.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/15/08 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think that even if the injuries had happened before the brackets were announced, Stanford would have still had the #1 seed since isn't it based on team performance over the course of a season, rather than what players are available come tourney time??

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/15/08 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
I would think that even if the injuries had happened before the brackets were announced, Stanford would have still had the #1 seed since isn't it based on team performance over the course of a season, rather than what players are available come tourney time??

well, Nykesha Sales went down with season ending achilles heal injury earlier in the season and Uconn got the 2 seed. I would understand the comm. putting Stanford at the 2 seed if Nygaard's final MRI results were known at the time of the seedings. I would also certainly put Stanford at 2 or 3 if they Folkl and Nygaard were hurt at the time of seedings. Harvard wasn't a 16 seed either, not with Feaster who averaged 28 pts per game.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 03/15/08 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
Harvard wasn't a 16 seed either, not with Feaster who averaged 28 pts per game.

Well, even when they have good players, the Ivy League team will always be at the bottom of the barrel. Wink

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/15/08 11:21 pm    ::: Re: Happy anniversary, Stanford fans Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
It was 10 years ago today that the Harvard Crimson pulled off the first, last, and only upset of a #1 seed by a #16 seed, beating the Card 71-67.

Somewhere, Allison Feaster is smiling.

Not to interrupt the fabulous Cam v. hoopfan debate.... but I just wanted to take a minute to thank Pilight for posting this reminder. I proudly put it in my facebook status today. And if that makes me a

I however, think its pretty pointless. It's done, let's move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: