RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Another category needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/13/08 11:35 pm    ::: Another category needed Reply Reply with quote

The media have spoken regarding who the #1 seeds are, but that does no necessarily transfe to who they think will actually be going to Tampa. Does anybody really think Stanford will make it? I mean, can they beat any of the #2 seeds, or even #3s?

The two teams I fully expect in Tampa are Tennessee and UNC. UConn is playing well, but without seniors to speak of I'm just not sure they can hold off some of these senior heavy teams...LSU...Maryland. Of course they'll be getting the 4th #2 so maybe it won't be much of a problem.

~rAf
hoopfan24

PostPosted: 03/14/08 12:50 am    ::: Re: Another category needed Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
The media have spoken regarding who the #1 seeds are, but that does no necessarily transfe to who they think will actually be going to Tampa. Does anybody really think Stanford will make it? I mean, can they beat any of the #2 seeds, or even #3s?

The two teams I fully expect in Tampa are Tennessee and UNC. UConn is playing well, but without seniors to speak of I'm just not sure they can hold off some of these senior heavy teams...LSU...Maryland. Of course they'll be getting the 4th #2 so maybe it won't be much of a problem.

Stanford has as good chance as any other 1 seed. If you recall, we already beat TN, Baylor and RU.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/14/08 8:48 am    ::: Re: Another category needed Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Stanford has as good chance as any other 1 seed. If you recall, we already beat TN, Baylor and RU.

It depends on many, many factors, but I agree that Stanford has a good chance. I wouldn't be positive about UNC, as the Heels haven't won any games against strong OOC opponents, or Tennessee, which has shown some vulnerability. UConn, if they get the easy path they've earned, should have the best chance.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/14/08 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford is a talented team, and if they bring their A-game I think they have a great chance of going far. However, historically, despite their successes in the Pac-10 and in preseason, they seem to tank when they get to the big dance. I hope this year is different.

PostPosted: 03/14/08 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
Stanford is a talented team, and if they bring their A-game I think they have a great chance of going far. However, historically, despite their successes in the Pac-10 and in preseason, they seem to tank when they get to the big dance. I hope this year is different.

Actually they have not tanked relative to their seed. In the past ten years, a few times they have lost before their seed (last year, for example), other times they have hit their seed, and several other times they have exceeded their seeding, such as the year before last. They haven't been a 1 seed for a decade, so all those close losses in the Elite Eights were not exactly tank jobs. They were mostly as expected or better with a few stinker years tossed in there. I think most teams would have similar results. Any team that has played a few tournaments will have some great wins and bad losses to show for it. That is the nature of the beast.

And people who keep bringing up the Harvard game as a way to needle should perhaps think twice about having fun with that one. That was a decade ago and the injury situation was something you would not wish on your most hated team (well, I wouldn't, anyway). Maybe think how you would feel to see your two star players suffer serious injuries days before the tournament. Not so much fun from that end.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/14/08 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for a little historical context, here's how the seeds have broken down in the Final Four since the tournament went to 64 teams in 1994:

1 - 30 teams
2 - 9 teams
3 - 8 teams, including one last year
4 - 4 teams, including one last year
5 - 1 team, the woefully underseeded SW Missouri State in 2001
6 - 2 teams
7 - 1 team, Minnesota in 2004, probably got this seed because of Lindsay Whalen's injury, but she came back for the NCAAs.
9 - 1 team, Arkansas in 1998

That means that a little more than half the #1 seeds make the Final Four on average (30/56), a little fewer than one out of six #2 seeds make it, exactly one-seventh of #3 seeds make it, and one out of fourteen #4 seeds make it.

The winner has been a #1 seed 9 times, a #2 seed 3 times and a #3 seed twice. Nobody below a #3 seed has won, but 2 #4 seeds have made the championship game, including last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: