RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn Rules Violation with Recruitment of Maya Moore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's HQ in Bristol is a pretty secure site. I'm not sure how easy it is for just anyone to get past the guards at the gates. I'm doubting that they offer public tours for anyone, but I'm willing to be shown otherwise. I'd also suspect that when someone from UConn calls their contact at ESPN- likely someone of influence in the WBB division- they probably take pretty good care of them.

Not a good position for ESPN to be in- giving the appearance of possibly assisting UConn in recruiting a player.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
If this is a minor violation(which is what I am gathering, given the info), then this bad timing by the NCAA. Why create a distraction this close to March? If it's minor, couldn't they have waited a month or two?

For what it's worth, someone in my office (okay, he's a Lady Vol fan) suggested that it was UConn that leaked the story, so it would come out at the time where it would be least distracting.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading the posts in this thread and then the posts on the ESPN, The Summitt and The Boneyard.. Yikes its like a WAR THERE!! I'm glad we are all civilized here.. well somewhat haha Very Happy

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
Interesting that this surfaces when people are making rumblings about Maya Moore supplanting ESPN's sweetheart Candace Parker as POY. Think I'm just a cp3 nay-sayer? Then why else is the article based on information from "two sources" that are anonymous, and reference the business with UT ending the series with UConn-- because one issue really has no bearing on the other? I also wonder about when such a thing was ruled a "violation" of NCAA rules-- before or after the request. Because ESPN is up to its hatband in collegiate athletics, and if it didn't know it was facilitating a rules violation at the time, it's because the corporation didn't want to know. This "news" item has put-up job written all over it.

You are a Parker nay-sayer, yet finding ANOTHER reason to implant Parker into something that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with her. Total wacked out obsession. It's weird and frankly a little disturbing.

Look, the only thing "bad" I have ever said about Candace Parker herself is that she hasn't put up the kind of numbers Courtney Paris has. The rest-- including what I have said in this thread-- is directed at the media, not least ESPN, which have shilled Parker to a faretheewell with the apparent purpose of developing a marketing image when she reaches the next level. I see this just the latest salvo in that campaign: Discredit the player who is emerging as a threat.

That said, I think other posters have a pretty accurate take on this story.

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Reading the posts in this thread and then the posts on the ESPN, The Summitt and The Boneyard.. Yikes its like a WAR THERE!! I'm glad we are all civilized here.. well somewhat haha Very Happy

I agree bri, that's why this board has the best and most knowledgeable fans on the internet. Even the Tennessee fans know this report was bush league and minor means minor.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/12/08 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm, if both UConn and Tenn have easy paths to meeting in the Final Four, I'll buy that this was leaked to ESPN by some in the NCAA to fuel the fire for the game...

And, ESPN needed "sources" for this story? Interesting. Wouldn't they KNOW that UConn called and scheduled an appointment? One would think they have some kind of record as to who is entering the building and when... Come to think of it, ESPN could have just leaked this story to get a ratings boost right before tourney time Confused

AnnieM

PostPosted: 03/13/08 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike DiMauro of the NL Day has a classic response to this drivel:

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=638b2550-371d-4954-aed2-90812e7490be

hate less, love more;
and all good things are yours.
Swedish Proverb
bballfan

PostPosted: 03/13/08 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AnnieM wrote:
Mike DiMauro of the NL Day has a classic response to this drivel:

[http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=638b2550-371d-4954-aed2-90812e7490be]

Quote:
This episode further illustrates how the image Summitt portrays belies what really exists. She just couldn't stand the idea that somebody had a more appealing program for Maya Moore — and thus, someone had to be cheating.

Just like when Diana Taurasi chose UConn over Pat's program.3 National Championships later, I'm sure that one still burns her behind. Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
GoIndeeeee

PostPosted: 03/13/08 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't this prove that Pat was right?

I don't have a lot emotionally invested in either side but I don't really understand why everyone is making this all about her. Sure she complained but it seems like she was on to something.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/13/08 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoIndeeeee wrote:
Doesn't this prove that Pat was right?

I don't have a lot emotionally invested in either side but I don't really understand why everyone is making this all about her. Sure she complained but it seems like she was on to something.

I agree. I don't understand how this becomes Pat bashing? It sounds as though UConn broke a rule, no matter how trivial people want to display it, it's still breaking a rule in the recruitment of a player.

PostPosted: 03/13/08 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We all know that a rule was broken. That is obvious. What is funny is why they felt the need to launch an investigation over something so minor. They seriously could not have know this unless they were "snooping" for it.

I honestly don't think that they would have launched this investigation over a bench warmer, player with less ability, or a lower ranking team. When you are the top, everyone looks for a "chink in your armor". I just personally find the whole thing just a little ridiculous. I mean seriously what are they going to do? What did they expect to come from this? Maya not to play? Rolling Eyes

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/13/08 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan wrote:
We all know that a rule was broken. That is obvious. What is funny is why they felt the need to launch an investigation over something so minor. They seriously could not have know this unless they were "snooping" for it.

I honestly don't think that they would have launched this investigation over a bench warmer, player with less ability, or a lower ranking team. When you are the top, everyone looks for a "chink in your armor". I just personally find the whole thing just a little ridiculous. I mean seriously what are they going to do? What did they expect to come from this? Maya not to play? Rolling Eyes

Okay, I have a few problems with this statement.

First, it doesn't appear as though there is some major investigation going on. As far as I know, they just sort of stated that it happened. Little else seems to be going on.

The comment about not knowing this unless people were snooping around brings up multiple issues. First, I don't agree with that. Word of mouth travels fast and Moore could have told someone who told someone and it could get around pretty easily. There likely needed to be little to no snooping involved. Second, are you indicating that there should be a "what they don't know won't hurt them" policy? You are acting like breaking rules is okay as long as you hide it well.

I don't know that anyone is expecting much of anything to come from this. I think it just is.

Maybe UConn shouldn't have broken the rule and then none of this would even be an issue. Don't get defensive because your school broke a rule and got caught. Just own up to it and say "I just don't think this is a big deal" and we would all likely just agree and move on. It's not like there has been some major sanction placed upon the Huskies.

PostPosted: 03/13/08 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

The comment about not knowing this unless people were snooping around brings up multiple issues. First, I don't agree with that. Word of mouth travels fast and Moore could have told someone who told someone and it could get around pretty easily. There likely needed to be little to no snooping involved. Second, are you indicating that there should be a "what they don't know won't hurt them" policy? You are acting like breaking rules is okay as long as you hide it well.

I don't know that anyone is expecting much of anything to come from this. I think it just is.

Maybe UConn shouldn't have broken the rule and then none of this would even be an issue. Don't get defensive because your school broke a rule and got caught. Just own up to it and say "I just don't think this is a big deal" and we would all likely just agree and move on. It's not like there has been some major sanction placed upon the Huskies.

Quote:
The two sources said the NCAA launched its investigation after receiving a complaint from the Southeastern Conference.The SEC asked the NCAA to investigate the allegation that UConn had arranged the ESPN tour after the conference received a complaint from the University of Tennessee. At the time, Tennessee was also recruiting Moore, who starred at Collins Hill High School in Suwannee, Ga.

I am not saying that it is ok to break rules. I just find it funny that "someone" in the SEC complained. That is all. I am just stating my opinion, which is perfectly fine if you or others don't agree. Either way, we still got Maya Moore and they don't. Very Happy

ETA: I don't think that it is a big deal. Wink

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/13/08 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan wrote:

First, it doesn't appear as though there is some major investigation going on. As far as I know, they just sort of stated that it happened. Little else seems to be going on.

The thing is, Pat has a habit of doing this when things don't go her way. Second, there is no way she doesn't commit secondary violations, everyone does it. Third, I think there was a major investigation she had launched, this was just the end result.

Sorry, a little Pat bashing by UCONN fans is permitted. Instead of just dealing with the fact that Maya chose UCONN, she made this out of it. Do you think Coach K would have done this if a kid picked UNC instead of Duke....I don;t think so. He would have moved on.

I can't wait till someone goes after Pat, because they will. Maybe Mickie DeMoss will do it. She's certainly been wronged by Pat. Pat's just a little sad that her"cover" of being married was blown!!!! When are those divorce papers dry anyway?

Orion

PostPosted: 03/13/08 3:33 pm    ::: UConn rules violation Reply Reply with quote

What did Pat do to Mikey DeMoss?

And you know Pat is a Lesbian? How do you know that?

PostPosted: 03/13/08 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
bballfan wrote:

The thing is, Pat has a habit of doing this when things don't go her way. Second, there is no way she doesn't commit secondary violations, everyone does it. Third, I think there was a major investigation she had launched, this was just the end result.

Sorry, a little Pat bashing by UCONN fans is permitted. Instead of just dealing with the fact that Maya chose UCONN, she made this out of it. Do you think Coach K would have done this if a kid picked UNC instead of Duke....I don;t think so. He would have moved on.

I can't wait till someone goes after Pat, because they will. Maybe Mickie DeMoss will do it. She's certainly been wronged by Pat. Pat's just a little sad that her"cover" of being married was blown!!!! When are those divorce papers dry anyway?

What habit of Pat doing what when things don't go her way?

Tennessee has had the top recruiting class by some sources the last two out of three years. Pat lost out on Tasha Humphrey under much more suspicious circumstances than this. So I'm sorry, as good as Maya is or might become, I don't see her throwing a tantrum over this as you are suggesting because she lost a recruit. She loses recruits all the time.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/13/08 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Pat thought there was a serious violation, I don't have any problem with her seeking an investigation. I'd hope she'd have good reason for doing so, not just a bad feeling, but I don't know enough (and none of us probably do) to figure that out.

And investigations, once started, tend to turn up things that are unexpected. (For instance, apparently the FBI found the prostitution ring because they were investigating Gov. Spitzer, not the other way around.) I suspect that's what happened here. It seems unlikely to me that the ESPN thing was the reason the investigation was started, especially since it appears that UConn self-reported it. This kind of secondary violation does occur all the time, as bart mentions, in part because the rules are so byzantine that it's hard to understand all of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if every major program has them on at least a semi-regular basis.

However, with all of that said, I'm beginning to get the feeling that there's something of a "Fortress SEC" developing. The SEC's complaint here turned out not to be correct, which makes you wonder if they really had enough to base it on, and the SEC's performance after the RU-Tennessee game was curious, to say the least, down to issuing a statement that made it sound like the Big East agreed that everything was done right. Maybe two examples aren't enough, but the SEC's attitude still seems to be "us against the world," which is kind of interesting.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/13/08 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Weird...a tour is a benefit? I guess Rolling Eyes

I mean she comes for a day or two to visit...plenty of time to kill...doesnt seem that terrible to me Confused

Does this mean that if a recruit goes to the beach while at UCSB it's a secondary violation Laughing

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/13/08 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:
Weird...a tour is a benefit? I guess Rolling Eyes

I mean she comes for a day or two to visit...plenty of time to kill...doesnt seem that terrible to me Confused

Does this mean that if a recruit goes to the beach while at UCSB it's a secondary violation Laughing

It depends. Does the school provide suntan lotion?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/13/08 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, wasn't it the SEC that tried to report a false violation before about Maya, saying she got a ride to a banquet from Sue and Diana?

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/13/08 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont know about the suntan lotion, but they would indeed have to look into the Sun. Especially if its a really nice, sunny day. That sounds a little shady to me. UCSB has been known in the past to give out free Sun to its recruits.

PostPosted: 03/13/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Also, wasn't it the SEC that tried to report a false violation before about Maya, saying she got a ride to a banquet from Sue and Diana?

Yes, I think that was the one Georgia was involved with.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/13/08 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Yes, I think that was the one Georgia was involved with.

So Tennessee says...

Really, this is just unfortunate for Maya, honestly. Was this really worth an investigation? This poor girl has been under scrutiny for the cancellation of the series for a while now.

PostPosted: 03/13/08 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the piont?

PostPosted: 03/13/08 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Tennessee has had the top recruiting class by some sources the last two out of three years. Pat lost out on Tasha Humphrey under much more suspicious circumstances than this. So I'm sorry, as good as Maya is or might become, I don't see her throwing a tantrum over this as you are suggesting because she lost a recruit. She loses recruits all the time.

Did Pat complain to the SEC and ask the NCAA to investigate Georgia's recruitment of Humphrey? Georgia's dealings with Humphrey's mom were a lot shadier than free tours or homemade signs. If Pat's real concern was fairness, shouldn't she have complained then?

I think part of the reason for the Pat bashing is that the timing and relatively trivial nature of the NCAA's findings smacks of a vendetta. It seems more like she is pulling out all the stops to bring down Geno and UConn than to ensure a level playing field.

Edit: Not that a recruiting violation is trivial, but it's certainly not as bad as what goes on in men's sports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: