RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kathy Oliver out at UCLA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gownbago

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:22 pm    ::: Kathy Oliver out at UCLA Reply Reply with quote

nm

CalBear

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You barely beat me on this one Very Happy

Here is the link I put in my post
http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2008/03/olivier_out.html

Candidates?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Official word from the L.A. Times is she resigned. They have the story online.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olivier12mar12,1,6666235.story

Quote:
Kathy Olivier, who completed her 15th season as UCLA women's basketball coach Sunday, has resigned, the school announced this afternoon.

Apparently, it also says she's taking an administrative role at the school. Good for everyone. She gets to continue working at the school which I'm sure is primo and a new coach can be hired.

Let the speculation begin.

CalBear

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
WOW! WOW! WOW!

Official word from the L.A. Times is she resigned. They have the story online.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olivier12mar12,1,6666235.story

Quote:
Kathy Olivier, who completed her 15th season as UCLA women's basketball coach Sunday, has resigned, the school announced this afternoon.

Apparently, it also says she's taking an administrative role at the school. Good for everyone. She gets to continue working at the school which I'm sure is primo and a new coach can be hired.

Let the speculation begin.

I think it was a nice gesture for her to resign. I wonder why the insidesocal link made it out to be like she was let go.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's no idiot. She knew it was NCAA or bust with this group.

Good for her, she was a great ambassador - and a very nice lady - but it was time for a change.

Who do you call?

Elaine Elliot
Dawn Staley
Jennifer Rizzotti
Jamelle Elliot
Brenda Frese
Cynthia Cooper-Dyke
Holly Warlick
Daron Park
Tom Collen
Anne Donovan
Melanie Balcomb

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please no Anne Donovan. And I hope they don't call Carolyn Peck. But from the W, I would take Jen Boucek in a heartbeat.

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalBear wrote:

I think it was a nice gesture for her to resign. I wonder why the insidesocal link made it out to be like she was let go.

If you search on Google news this is what comes up on the results page:

Quote:
Olivier fired as UCLA women's basketball coach
Los Angeles Daily News, CA - 1 hour ago
By Ramona Shelburne, Staff Writer After 15 seasons in Westwood, Kathy Olivier has been fired as women's basketball coach at UCLA, according to multiple

But if you click on the story it reads a little different:

Quote:
After 15 seasons in Westwood, Kathy Olivier is out as women's basketball coach at UCLA, according to multiple university sources.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recruiting will be relatively easy - it's UCLA. They need a great game coach. With all the movement WCBB had last year in the coaching ranks, it will be interesting to see who they come up with. It could be a yawn or a shocker. I'm sure a lot of coaches will be interested in this opening, especially a more established coach ready for a change of scenery.

gopher5

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Recruiting will be relatively easy - it's UCLA. They need a great game coach. With all the movement WCBB had last year in the coaching ranks, it will be interesting to see who they come up with. It could be a yawn or a shocker. I'm sure a lot of coaches will be interested in this opening, especially a more established coach ready for a change of scenery.

This article says don't expect a big name:

http://ucla.scout.com/2/736627.html

Quote:
We've heard, too, that UCLA will more than likely not pursue a big-named (or big-salaried) coaches as her replacement. Sources have indicated that the UCLA AD will probably pursue head coaches at mid-major schools or accomplished assistants for the position.

CalBear

PostPosted: 03/11/08 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Recruiting will definietly be easy especially if they keep Stafford-Odom on the staff. Who I believe was brought in due to her relationships and familiarity of California talent.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/11/08 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CalBear"][quote="PRballer"]Recruiting will be relatively easy - it's UCLA. They need a great game coach. With all the movement WCBB had last year in the coaching ranks, it will be interesting to see who they come up with. It could be a yawn or a shocker. I'm sure a lot of coaches will be interested in this opening, especially a more established coach ready for a change of scenery.[/quote]

Recruiting will definietly be easy especially if they keep Stafford-Odom on the staff. Who I believe was brought in due to her relationships and familiarity of California talent.[/quote]

Stafford-Odom has some ties to talent, but it's nothing to write home about. She couldn't even come close to signing Dixon or Speed. Contrast that to Tia Jackson who had seemingly every top girl interested when she was the assistant. Stafford-Odom is such a poor administrator that she got her high school team banned from the playoffs for a year after she left for UCLA. It figured that only someone as desperate as Kathy Olivier would hire her since she had no college coaching experience at all and her track record as a high school coach at Westchester was completely dismal.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PRballer"].

Who do you call?

Elaine Elliot - would she leave Utah?
Dawn Staley - just signed an extension -- not that it matters...
Jennifer Rizzotti - recently signed an extension....see above
Jamelle Elliot - it's about time (add Tonya Cardoza, too)
Brenda Frese - why would she leave MD?
Cynthia Cooper-Dyke - is she ready? and considering her recruiting errors, do you want someone so inexperienced on the technicalities?
Holly Warlick - SEC peeps -- does she want to head coach?
Daron Park - first season w/brenda... enough seasoning?
Tom Collen - maybe he's regretting the Louisville/Ark jump and a change of coast might help?
Anne Donovan - I think she's done for a bit..
Melanie Balcomb - intriguing... UCLA seems to get the talent to match up, just not the coaching.... Can she do better than what's been happening at Vandy?

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, SOME people got their wish. It's a toss-up as to whether they will get a better or worse coach. The best the Storm could do was Brian Agler.

bullsky

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for UCLA. Depending on how much money they want to spend, they could get someone good.

Does anyone think Michael Cooper could do it at the right price?

PostPosted: 03/11/08 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa!!

I was wondering if UCLA would have the guts to do this. Oliver's daughter is still on the team, as are six new freshmen Oliver helped to bring there. So glad she's out anyway. As much as I've been raised not to be a Bruin fan, it doesn't take a genius to see how much talent UCLA has on the team. They need a good coach to bring it out.

Kailapea is probably running down the streets screaming with joy right now.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
PRballer

PostPosted: 03/11/08 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tia would have been perfect for the job.

If I'm UCLA, I'm calling Jamelle Elliot and luring her away from UConn at whatever cost.

TigerDog

PostPosted: 03/11/08 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure Holly Warlick would leave Tennessee at this stage...
But how about Nikki Caldwell? She wants to be a head coach and she definitely has the personality, connections and recruiting talent to do a good job at UCLA.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 03/11/08 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<<Kailapea is probably running down the streets screaming with joy right now.>>

Running, screaming, and dowright ready to cry.

Actually I just got got back from the Pac-10 tournament (Congrats to Stanford on the Candice Wiggins show). 4 hours into my drive, I got a text from a buddy who informed me of this turn of events. And though I am shocked it happened so quickly, it is a good move. Based on what she said, I think she stepped down with some dignity, though she had NO choice. It was go or we will send you packing.

I love Kathy - the person, but can't stomach Kathy - the coach. It was almost painful to watch her face as the team imploded against Stanford. She knew the end was upon her. I wish the best for her, but think the future is looing bright.

Oh and the rumor I heard is that they were talking to UCLA Alum Denise Curry, about the job, but really hope they look further.

PostPosted: 03/11/08 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
<<Kailapea is probably running down the streets screaming with joy right now.>>

Running, screaming, and dowright ready to cry.

Actually I just got got back from the Pac-10 tournament (Congrats to Stanford on the Candice Wiggins show). 4 hours into my drive, I got a text from a buddy who informed me of this turn of events. And though I am shocked it happened so quickly, it is a good move. Based on what she said, I think she stepped down with some dignity, though she had NO choice. It was go or we will send you packing.

I love Kathy - the person, but can't stomach Kathy - the coach. It was almost painful to watch her face as the team imploded against Stanford. She knew the end was upon her. I wish the best for her, but think the future is looing bright.

Oh and the rumor I heard is that they were talking to UCLA Alum Denise Curry, about the job, but really hope they look further.

I thought something was up too. KO didn't seem her usual joyful self on the bench. Even when her team is getting thumped, she still had fire. That wasn't the case on Sun vs. Stanford.

I don't think they'll go after a big name because the AD hasn't shown they cared about women's bball in 15 yrs, so why start now? I bet it's Curry too to keep an UCLA person close to the program.

Tia is probably screaming because of bad timing. UCLA is better job than UW.

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/11/08 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Curry has been an assistant at Long Beach State of the Big West.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/12/08 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While there have been questions as to the wording, I've been hearing since last season that KO would be allowed to "retire" instead of being outright fired. She was given a reprieve because of her excellent recruiting class, but her results were so bad that the school finally had no choice. By allowing her to be "reassigned" UCLA doesn't have to cough up a buy-out and she's allowed to continue with things like fundraising, which I'm sure she'll be very good at.

Cooper still doesn't have his college degree, although he claims he's only a few hours short. He also has a domestic violence charge against him, so I don't think he'll be in the mix.

Judging from the official remarks, it does indeed seem as if the position was tailor-made for Tia Jackson.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/12/08 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
...[snip]...I don't think they'll go after a big name because the AD hasn't shown they cared about women's bball in 15 yrs, so why start now? I bet it's Curry too to keep an UCLA person close to the program...

If UCLA wants a well-known former alum, they should contact Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

He has been wanting to be in NBA head coach for many years and has never gotten such a job. And with him turning 61 in April, there's a big chance he never will. But I get the impression that he's disgusted by the state of men's basketball today, including the lack of fundamentals. Being that fundamentals are much better in the women's game, maybe Kareem would like to coach a women's team. And what better than to do it at his alma mater! Even if it is for a women's team, and not the men's!

His college head coach at UCLA, John Wooden, gave women's basketball maybe the greatest compliment its ever gotten when he said that he'd rather watch women's basketball than men's basketball any day.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/12/08 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that an established head coach at a good program (Balcomb, Frese) wouldn't take this job absent a meaningful raise and a real commitment of significant resources. UCLA just doesn't have the cachet in WCBB that it would have in other sports, and neither does the Pac-10.

It seems more like a job for an ambitious, top-tier assistant who would see an opportunity to recruit in fertile territory, a conference where it wouldn't be hard to break through and some existing talent that might be able to improve quickly on the court.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/12/08 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Being that fundamentals are much better in the women's game...

...except they aren't

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/12/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Being that fundamentals are much better in the women's game...

...except they aren't

...and never will be as long as girls continue to play AAU basketball.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: