RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Depaul vs Uconn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:00 pm    ::: Depaul vs Uconn Reply Reply with quote

Depaul leads 76-74 with 14sec left....

Quigley fouled Montgomery shooting a 3...

Montgomery misses the first, makes second...MISSES THE THIRD!!!!

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depaul leads 76-75, got the rebound but Maya Moore got an amazing steal and called timeout!!! 7 secs left

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

omg...Uconn scores and win 77-76...unbelievable ending...

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The same reff who was in the Rutgers/LV game reffed in this game...

The foul by Quigley was after the shot was released...should been 2 ft's for Mongomery, not 3...unreal.

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

The foul by Quigley was after the shot was released...should been 2 ft's for Mongomery, not 3...unreal.

Wow...Wonder if UConn will forfeit the game? Laughing

Grumps

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

Wow...Wonder if UConn will forfeit the game? Laughing

Grumps

didn't need too, she made the middle one, and the same call was made earlier (in favor of Quigley) Wink

Honestly, Uconn deserved to lose. And Swanie saved their butts. (Love her) Love Quigley too.

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just goes to show, you don't hafta play better ball, you just hafta be ahead at the buzzer.

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. wish I could have watched this. dammit.
those of you who watched this game -- DePaul was up by 12 at the half -- what was CT doing wrong in the first? (if that's a fair assessment... or what was DePaul doing right? 3s?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
wow. wish I could have watched this. dammit.
those of you who watched this game -- DePaul was up by 12 at the half -- what was CT doing wrong in the first? (if that's a fair assessment... or what was DePaul doing right? 3s?

Depaul was playing great..and Uconn was lethargic and turnover prone..

Renee looked like she's tired, Ketia was sort of off/on..Maya played like a freshman, Tina was good in the first half..not so much in the second half..Dixon did nothing.

Gardler was good for her, and Charde played well. In fact, POG is probably either Charde or Ketia...

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was one heck of a game... Maya Moore with that last steal. Shocked

UConn did have alot of turnovers. Depaul played thier hearts out!
Wheeew, that was a close one. Very Happy

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that was a helluva game. Refs were bad all around but Uconn some how pulls it out.. In the hands of there senior PG.. great under pressure!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whew! What a barn burner and nerve wrecking game. It could have gone either way and neither team deserved to lose.

Maya Moore stole the ball from behind a DePaul player who was on a break away that would have iced the game. Maya immediately called time out with with 7 seconds to go and UConn down by one. Swanier takes the inbound pass and races it the length of the floor and scores a phenomonal game winning basket (as it turns out.)

However, there is only about 2.2 seconds left on the game clock, DePaul takes the ball out and throws a pass to half court and it's knocked out of bounds to Depaul with 1.3 seconds left. On this play, the DePaul player who inbounded the pass stepped over the line and Trammel was standing right there and missed the call.

The Trammel doesn't want to recheck the clock to get the correct time on it, but the one of the non-lead officials forces him to do so.

Then DePaul inbounds from half court and throws the ball all the way to the basket and it got tipped out of bounds. Again Trammel doesn't want to check the clock but again is quickly persuaded to do so and adjusts it to .3 seconds.

DePaul inbounds the ball to their Center, who was directly under the basket but remarkable she missed the shot. Couldn't tell if she was fouled or not but I saw Doug Bruno yelling for one. They didn't show the replay.

kage

PostPosted: 03/02/08 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They showed highlights on SportsCenter. That was awesome. In fact, the brief teaser was first up on SportsCenter before a more in depth highlight shown halfway through the show.
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/02/08 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy. freaking crap.

All I am going off is my talking to my bro in the final seconds of the game and the replay on SportsCenter.

Are you kidding me? First Renee pulls a Strother and completely blows the foul shots. Charde keeps the hope alive by playing some volleyball and tipping the ball out away from the DePaul boarders.

THEN MAYA FREAKING MOORE. This is the moment where I realized she was something else. I knew she was good, but she is Taurasi good. What other frosh in the country could come from behind, make the steal, then know to call a timeout? You've got be kidding me. She is something else.

I knew it was going to be a Keita layup on that last UConn po. I dont know why Geno doesn't draw that up more often, because it works all the time. She can get into the lane and finish. I wasn't surprised when she did. And that should have been an and1, she was fouled.

Then the DePaul player stepped OVER the endline and the refs didn't call it Rolling Eyes (how shocking), I got a little nervous. But really, even when UConn was down at the half, I didn't panic. I knew they were going to win this game. And they did. I have no freaking idea how they pulled it out, but a game like this is only going to make them better in the big dance. WOW.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 03/02/08 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a different take on this game. I never had the sense that UConn was really going to lose. I had the sense that, sandwiched between LSU and RU, DePaul hadn't been a big priority for UConn's practices. I had the sense that UConn greatly out-matched DePaul, and that they turned on the jets when they had to, and played just well enough to win.

I think the relative need for the win was reflected in the relative intensity of the teams. For DePaul, it was a "must" win, for purposes of a trip to the Dance. For UConn, it was a "would be nice to" win-- with the "must" win coming up on Monday.

So, it was an okay game to watch, and great to see DePaul play as well as they did, but I think we have seen overall better and more exciting games.

PostPosted: 03/02/08 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three Calls Were Interesting Down the Stretch:

1. Renee Montgomery was fouled after the shot was taken. Should've been a 1 & 1.

2. DePaul got away with a 5-second inbounds violation.

3. Allie Quigley stepped on the baseline not once, but TWICE on that inbounds play. Bob Trammell was *right there.* Harumph.

DePaul was insanely good, especially for the first 30 minutes. Allie Quigley and Mitideiro were distinctly impressive. DePaul was a team that had a game plan and was doing everything it could to execute it well. They sealed off the paint well, and most of the damage UConn was able to inflict, was pretty much one-on-one play by Houston & Moore. Tremendous effort by the Blue Demons, and hats off to Doug Bruno, who is a pretty darn good coach, imo.

UConn loses this game if not for Charde Houston and Maya Moore, along with a couple of plays by Ketia. Maya looked like a freshman at times on defense, but without her scoring 12 points in the second half & stealing that ball back, UConn probably goes home a loser. Charde played great in the second half. Fiery on both ends of the floor that resulted in some timely buckets and some great rebounds. UConn, on the whole, looked tired and not completely focused. Tina hit some key FTs down the stretch as well.

Thank goodness this game is over Laughing .

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/02/08 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

UConn loses this game if not for Charde Houston and Maya Moore, along with a couple of plays by Ketia. Maya looked like a freshman at times on defense, but without her scoring 12 points in the second half & stealing that ball back, UConn probably goes home a loser. Charde played great in the second half. Fiery on both ends of the floor that resulted in some timely buckets and some great rebounds. UConn, on the whole, looked tired and not completely focused. Tina hit some key FTs down the stretch as well.

Thank goodness this game is over Laughing .

I'm actually starting to get a bit concerned for Renee.
She's had to do a lot since Mel went out. Yes, other players have stepped up, but none more than Renee. She's had to play a lot of minutes, and do a lot of other things. She has to typically guard the other team's best player. She's also the only big offensive threat among the guards. (Swanier's been scoring lately, but even then it's typically when she's wide open or beats everyone down the court..she's not taking the majority of the defense focused on the guards) She's now pretty much THE team leader, instead of one of the team leaders. Those breaks that came with Ketia coming in..are just there for five minutes, maybe, when Dixon comes in. And she looks tired, and she looked tired last game. And then they've got a game on Monday. She just looks a bit worn out, mentally and physically. I wish she had been able to rest a bit last game.

PostPosted: 03/02/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OH lord, awesome game. Quigley was a killer. UConn fell behind by 17 in the second half. They turned up the full court press to get back in it. Bonehead Renee makes 1/3 fts, mass scramble, Missy gets it, Maya steals it, timeout. Ketia to the hoop, should have been and one. Allie steps over the line TWICE, no call. The ball is thrown in the air at about 2mph with no oomph. Charde should have let it go, catches it on the line, with Maya right near. Then time check, then another time check, then finally DePaul misses.

Shouldnt the time be when the ref raises the arm, not when it actually happens. If so, the refs fucked that up.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

quigley overstepped the endline only once.

the call on quigley 's block of monty was the same call made on charles' block of quigley's 3 attempt in the first half.

it was a classic trap game. uconn was lucky to climb out of it.

to disparage monty is stupid. she hit critical 2nd-half 3s.

besides, uconn probably would've lost on a quigley jumper at the buzzer had she made 2, or all 3, of those FTs. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: