RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

From SI: Over the Top - (Vulgar Fans Gone Wild)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 03/01/08 11:44 am    ::: From SI: Over the Top - (Vulgar Fans Gone Wild) Reply Reply with quote

Over the Top
Extreme vulgarity and taunting by college basketball fans this season raise the question: How much is too much? For schools and conferences, it's time to act.

Kevin Love knew it would be bad. But not this bad. Sure, he'd chosen UCLA over Oregon after being the consensus national player of the year as a senior at Lake Oswego (Ore.) High -- but what happened to his home state's rep for peace, love and understanding? On Jan. 23, the day before the ­Bruins-Ducks showdown in Eugene, Love found more than 30 voice-mail messages on his cellphone when UCLA stopped for a layover in San Francisco. He listened to the first one: If you guys win, we'll come to your house and kill your family. He played another: We'll find your hotel room and blow your f------ head off with a shotgun. He ­didn't bother to check the rest. "I mean, these were death threats," Love says. Shaken, he called his mother, Karen, and had her cancel his cellphone service.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 03/01/08 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's just crazy! It's a freakin' game for cryin' out loud. Sad commentary on just how insane our nation has become. A kid playing his heart out is afraid for his life and cancels his cell phone service. I hope the jacka$$ that left that message is proud of himself.

PostPosted: 03/01/08 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
That's just crazy! It's a freakin' game for cryin' out loud. Sad commentary on just how insane our nation has become. A kid playing his heart out is afraid for his life and cancels his cell phone service. I hope the jacka$$ that left that message is proud of himself.

Hmm.. i read in a Connecticut newspaper that Pat Summitt called Maya Moore during her senior season at Uconn and threatened to Cancel the Uconn-UT series if Moore picked Conn..Moore picked Conn.. and well the rest is history Smile.. seems like not only fans are crazy Wink... sorry guys but i HAD too!! Smile

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/01/08 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

University of Oregon had to apologize for the fans after the UCLA-Oregon game because they were so profane and out of line. It wasn't just the threatening phone calls.

Jeez, it takes all the fun out of it!!

eclair

PostPosted: 03/01/08 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kevin Love's dad, Stan, was supposed to be inducted into the Oregon athletic hall of fame. He says he'll never go back to UO again.

I don't blame him. I once had the good fortune to attend a football game at Oregon with a visiting contingent of UW Huskies. They threw dog shit at us. At least I hope it came from a dog.

PostPosted: 03/01/08 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair wrote:
Kevin Love's dad, Stan, was supposed to be inducted into the Oregon athletic hall of fame. He says he'll never go back to UO again.
I don't blame him. I once had the good fortune to attend a football game at Oregon with a visiting contingent of UW Huskies. They threw dog shit at us. At least I hope it came from a dog.

I wonder if that could constitute assault with a deadly weapon? Feces carry all kinds of disease and bacteria ... theoretically you could become extremely - maybe deathly - ill. Especially with a weakened immune system. I'm serious. (although perhaps I'm just watching too much House)

I think if someone threw shit at me -- from any species -- I would want to kill them. It would be a very good thing that I would likely have no means at my disposal to do so.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 03/02/08 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel lucky that the worst I was hit with in Eugene was a dog biscuit.

The Duck fans had to eat worse on that particular day as Reggie Williams went nuts and the Huskies won 42-14.

It's for reasons like that I REALLY, REALLY DISLIKE the Ucks.

John Wooden
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/02/08 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are way too mean these days. That's obvious. Whether it will change or not, is up for serious doubt.

However, I really hate that they use Eric Gordon as an example. He is anything but innocent. I'm not saying he deserves what he got, but I'm saying he shouldn't be preaching rainbows and smiles. He lied and to be honest, he's the reason(well, part of the reason) Kelvin Sampson is unemployed. Honestly, I'd like to know how many Illinois fans(%) actually said that stuff. Using what a couple of crazies said and then targeting an entire college seems odd to me. And to take it a step further, how can we believe Gordon? He's lied before. At some point, credibility comes in to play.

At some point, when you do something bad, you have to expect to get chants. When someone shop lifts something, you will hear about it. When someone got caught with inappropriate pictures online, you will hear something about it. That's the norm. There are positives and negatives to being in the spotlight, and Hollywood's elite don't get away from it, so why should NCAA players?

Now, with regards to death threats, those are obviously insane and sad. It's sad that those kinds of people exist. I never ever ever agree with death threats or physical threats.

Again, I'm biased. I agree with the main thoughts off the article, but to use Gordon as an example seems a little odd to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: