RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hold up, Nikki Anosike is engaged and apparently...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:48 pm    ::: Hold up, Nikki Anosike is engaged and apparently... Reply Reply with quote

to this man right here.

Demonte Bolden

I think this is the right guy. Someone said "D. Bolden" from the football team.

If so, congrats Nikki!

kage

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Anosike.
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is it with Lady Vols marrying football players??

I think I'd be better than any of those football players. Don't the girls know that I'm not a convicted felon? Laughing

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
What is it with Lady Vols marrying football players??

I think I'd be better than any of those football players. Don't the girls know that I'm not a convicted felon? Laughing

I think Anosike is only the 2nd player that I know of to marry a football player, Shanna Crossley is the other one.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ZoCroSixPence wrote:
I think Anosike is only the 2nd player that I know of to marry a football player, Shanna Crossley is the other one.

Yeah, I know, but both of those are recent...that indicates a trend. Smile

ZoCroSixPence

PostPosted: 02/28/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
ZoCroSixPence wrote:

So I guess the best question is, who's next?

Grumps

PostPosted: 02/28/08 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ZoCroSixPence wrote:
jimmyk wrote:
ZoCroSixPence wrote:

So I guess the best question is, who's next?

At the game the other night another football player proposed to one of the LV softball players so it's not just the basketball team... Very Happy

Grumps

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 02/28/08 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had been seeing a ring on Nicky's finger since last season, but never heard anyone mention that she was engaged until now. I believe she been engaged for over a year, though I could be wrong..

PostPosted: 02/29/08 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the bigger question is what's with 21 and 22-year-olds getting engaged and married? do they really have to get married? are they living in the same century that I am?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/29/08 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if this has any affect on her being able to actually make a lay-up once in a while...

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 02/29/08 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
the bigger question is what's with 21 and 22-year-olds getting engaged and married? do they really have to get married? are they living in the same century that I am?

Hey!! I'm 22, and I just got engaged 3 weeks ago... Embarassed Very Happy

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/29/08 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:

okay -- so maybe you can shed some light on this. why are you getting married? what will marriage offer you that is unique to simply being in a committed relationship? because in my mind, you can have everything you would have otherwise without marriage, except with marriage you allow the government entry into your relationship and you give them some degree of control over your freedom and your finances.

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 02/29/08 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
LadyDevilFan wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:

okay -- so maybe you can shed some light on this. why are you getting married? what will marriage offer you that is unique to simply being in a committed relationship? because in my mind, you can have everything you would have otherwise without marriage, except with marriage you allow the government entry into your relationship and you give them some degree of control over your freedom and your finances.

I'm Catholic, so for me it has a lot to do with religion. But it also has a lot to do with my family values. Maybe I'm old fashioned but to me marriage just seems more final than a committed relationship (unless there was some commitment ceremony or something). I appreciate the finality for stability purposes, for the purposes of raising children, and for the benefits conferred upon married couples by the state and my Church.

Last edited by LadyDevilFan on 02/29/08 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/29/08 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
because in my mind, you can have everything you would have otherwise without marriage, except with marriage you allow the government entry into your relationship and you give them some degree of control over your freedom and your finances.

there are legal benefits to being married. for instance, survivor benefits for both the spouse and any underage children; spousal/child support is more or less a given should the marriage break up. the right to part of an ex-spouse's pension after 'x' amount of years of marriage is also a consideration. so there are indeed legal/financial benefits to be considered.

PostPosted: 02/29/08 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
because in my mind, you can have everything you would have otherwise without marriage, except with marriage you allow the government entry into your relationship and you give them some degree of control over your freedom and your finances.

there are legal benefits to being married. for instance, survivor benefits for both the spouse and any underage children; spousal/child support is more or less a given should the marriage break up. the right to part of an ex-spouse's pension after 'x' amount of years of marriage is also a consideration. so there are indeed legal/financial benefits to be considered.

I realize that this thread is veering way OT, but what the heck, I'll contribute to the OTness.

Speaking as someone who got married after living in a pretty committed relationship for a while (we were in the process of buying a house when we decided to get married), I will say that I was told by a lot of people that it felt different being married, didn't entirely believe them and then discovered they were right. Even when you live together and have decided to do something like buying a house, there is a contingent element to a non-married relationship that isn't there when you're married. (Yes, of course, there's divorce, but it's a bigger step than breaking up with someone, at least if you're not named Elizabeth Taylor or Mickey Rooney.)

This is one of the reasons that I'm convinced of the importance of gay marriage. If you can't get married, you can't take that next step of commitment. Failing to make marriage available to gays is a way of saying their relationships are less real and more contingent than the relationships between men and women, and I find that notion appalling and hurtful.

memphis10

PostPosted: 02/29/08 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, this has gone way OT. Back to the topic, Congrats to Nicky & Demonte. I kinda like the love & football/basketball connections.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/29/08 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Yep, this has gone way OT. Back to the topic, Congrats to Nicky & Demonte. I kinda like the love & football/basketball connections.

I was sort of enjoying this conversation about young people getting married. Personally I discourage it. Who you are at 21 is different than who you are at 31 and 41, etc.

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 02/29/08 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because getting Married is romantic? Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/29/08 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
I was sort of enjoying this conversation about young people getting married. Personally I discourage it. Who you are at 21 is different than who you are at 31 and 41, etc.

Ain't that the truth. I'm not near the idiot now that I was when I was 21.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 02/29/08 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:

all true, scully, but at 21 or 22, is that why you're getting married? if it is, isn't that incredibly mercenary (barring extreme circumstances, like political asylum or something, which one should not have to marry for, but that's a whole 'nother ball-o-wax).

so much is happening in this world -- so quickly -- to get married at that young age just strikes me a ridiculous. but i guess that's why young people do it. they just don't know any better. what's that expression? youth is wasted on the young? i can't believe i'm old enough to see my fingers type that and keep a straight face. dammit.

sorry LadyDevilFan. i do wish you much joy and the best of luck, truly. Nicky, too. just please don't rush. if it all feels right to you, nothing i say should matter anyway.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 02/29/08 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:

Sometimes I wonder, is there anything wrong with waiting or living together to see if you are even compatible? Have some fun, don't be in such a hurry to get tied down so young; Odds are you will all be divorced in under 5 years anyway.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/01/08 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are different, I'm not about to tell someone who is 21 and up what to do with their life. Who's to say they wont be engaged for 4 or 5 years, and then get married. Maybe some of these young ladies are religious to the point that they're not having sex until they get married, maybe that's the rush. Then again, maybe they want to have kids early, and don't want to have them out of wedlock.. I don't know, there could be plenty of reasons..

PostPosted: 03/01/08 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
People are different, I'm not about to tell someone who is 21 and up what to do with their life. Who's to say they wont be engaged for 4 or 5 years, and then get married. Maybe some of these young ladies are religious to the point that they're not having sex until they get married, maybe that's the rush. Then again, maybe they want to have kids early, and don't want to have them out of wedlock.. I don't know, there could be plenty of reasons..

of course str8, but i was asking for GOOD reasons, you see Wink

LadyDevilFan

PostPosted: 03/01/08 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
so much is happening in this world -- so quickly -- to get married at that young age just strikes me a ridiculous. but i guess that's why young people do it. they just don't know any better. what's that expression? youth is wasted on the young? i can't believe i'm old enough to see my fingers type that and keep a straight face. dammit.

sorry LadyDevilFan. i do wish you much joy and the best of luck, truly. Nicky, too. just please don't rush. if it all feels right to you, nothing i say should matter anyway.

No worries, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I take no offense. If it makes any difference, I'll be 23 in a month, and we'll probably be 24 when we get married. And I can see your point that there's so much out there so there's no reason to get married quickly, but I just think that getting married won't prevent me from seeing the world. For some young people who haven't seen the world, haven't matured, or don't know what they're doing with their life, then I can see there are absolutely reasons not to get married.

But take me, for example... I have traveled in Europe every year (except one, when I went to Canada instead) since I was 16. I'm at an Ivy League law school, and I know that working in law has always been for me. I'm living with my fiance now, and our relationship has only improved since living together. We started dating in high school, took a break through college to date other people and to see what's out there, but found that we were happiest with each other. I know EVERYone thinks that THEY have it together, but I think someone could look at my life objectively and reasonably say that I pretty much do have a stable, happy life going in a positive direction. And if there is more of the world for me to see, I'd rather see it with my fiance by my side than by myself anyway.

So this is my case for why I don't see a reason to wait. But I'm genuinely curious, why do you think someone like me SHOULD wait?

And to placate the OT-police, here's something a little more OnTopic:
ASU's two seniors from last season are also among the marrying young group. Emily Westerberg married ASU football alum, Grayling Love last summer. And Aubree Johnson is engaged to be married this summer. Yay love&basketball stories... Wink

mabell3368

PostPosted: 03/01/08 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:

Ahh, but how thrilling when the two of you grow together. I was just short of my 21st birthday when I got married and we are still together and enjoying each other more than ever 36 (will be 37 this year) years later! Age has nothing to do with it. I don't think any of us has the right to judge the actions of another. You might not feel ready to get married now, but Nikki does. I say, "Good on 'er"

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: