RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Illinois launches jennasmith13.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 02/27/08 11:35 pm    ::: Illinois launches jennasmith13.com Reply Reply with quote

Cool stuff! And she's only a SOPHOMORE.

www.jennasmith13.com

PostPosted: 02/27/08 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's their record like now? Are they a likely WNIT team this year?

tag3

PostPosted: 02/28/08 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gosh dog - I thought it said www.jennaPLUMLEY.com. Rats!

Just kiddin' ya, Krush! She is very impressive, indeed. And only a sophomore? Double rats!

Wink

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/28/08 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
What's their record like now? Are they a likely WNIT team this year?

They're 15-12. I hope they make the WNIT, but nothing is guaranteed. The worse part about this season is that we've been so close SO many times. I truly think we're the most cursed team in America.

Nine of our 16 Big Ten games have been decided by 5 points our less. We're 2-7 in those nine games. We've given up leads(@ Indiana, Michigan, @ Ohio State), come back from leads only to fold in the end(@ Purdue, @ Wisconsin), ect. We could easily be 19-8 right now.

It's been awful, though. We've not been as deep as I hoped. We lost one starter. She just left the team, we're not sure why, but I heard some rumors. One of our top shooters was moved to the PG position, and her shooting has suffered greatly. One of our starting posts a couple seasons has never really fully recovered from her ACL. Luckily we have some help coming in next year. We have a solid shooter from Ohio coming in. A 6'3" versatile post from a Chicago suburb who likes to shoot from the perimeter. Then we have a 6'2" girl from St. Louis who is an excellent all around player, averaging excellent numbers in points, rebounds, blocks, steals and assists.

Jenna has been our lone bright spot this season, though. She's unstoppable. In the last two weeks, she has scored 30+ points twice (32, 30). She plays a lot of 40 minute games and somehow is consistent as all get out. I don't think there is a player in the country that is more underrated than Jenna Smith. I love Jantel's game and respect Jolene as a savvy veteran, but the Big Ten POY resides in Champaign-Urbana and thats the end of it.

Okay, my Illinois rant is done. Sorry I put you through this. Wink

PostPosted: 02/28/08 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

It's been awful, though. We've not been as deep as I hoped. We lost one starter. She just left the team, we're not sure why, but I heard some rumors. One of our top shooters was moved to the PG position, and her shooting has suffered greatly. One of our starting posts a couple seasons has never really fully recovered from her ACL. Luckily we have some help coming in next year. We have a solid shooter from Ohio coming in. A 6'3" versatile post from a Chicago suburb who likes to shoot from the perimeter. Then we have a 6'2" girl from St. Louis who is an excellent all around player, averaging excellent numbers in points, rebounds, blocks, steals and assists.

I thought Bjork was moved from the PG to the SG this year? Or are you talking about Harris moving to PG?

Was it Crutcher who left the team?

Jenna has been a great story for the Illini. I only saw her play a couple of times of high school and did not think she would be this dominant this early in her career.

Of course, the real conference POY is in MN Wink

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/28/08 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange Krush wrote:

Jenna has been our lone bright spot this season, though. She's unstoppable.

She's hard to stop but not unstoppable. Michigan had to stop her in order to win on Sunday (first time at Illinois in 8 years), and in doing so, they broke her 28 game double-digit scoring streak. Wink

I enjoyed watching her play in Ann Arbor. She should definitely be all Big Ten 1st Team this year, if not POY. She's shown that she's the best of the sophomore centers (did DeHaan deserve FOY?).

From Kevin Borseth's post-game:

On Michigan’s job of limiting Jenna Smith to just six points... "She’s a good player. She’s got such great hands and great instincts for scoring the ball. We just tried to give her as much attention as we could. Last time we played them, a couple of their other players hit some shots and took us out of what we were trying to do with her. I think Smith is every team’s focal point. She’s very good."

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I thought Bjork was moved from the PG to the SG this year? Or are you talking about Harris moving to PG?

Was it Crutcher who left the team?

Bjork just got moved back to the SG, but for a majority of the season she was playing PG. In Law's system, the PG isn't really supposed to score a lot, so that hurt Bjork's scoring. Now that she's back at the SG, she has been doing better.

And yes, it was Danyel Crutcher who left the team.

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Krush - We've got the tournament. You're so right in the fact that the Illini have been close ALL year... let's hope for something special!

PostPosted: 02/28/08 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mirage32 wrote:
Krush - We've got the tournament. You're so right in the fact that the Illini have been close ALL year... let's hope for something special!

Are you saying we've got the WNIT or we've got the Big Ten Tourney, because I'm hoping we shock everyone and win the tourney. I'm dreaming big, huh? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: