RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spence pulled from UCONN/Rutgers game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandih23

PostPosted: 02/25/08 4:29 pm    ::: Spence pulled from UCONN/Rutgers game Reply Reply with quote

http://forum.connpost.com/uconnwomen/
Quote:
In light of the brutal job turned in by officials Bob Trammell, Tina Napier and Bonita Spence in the final seconds of Rutgers 59-58 loss at Tennessee Feb. 11, Spence has been pulled from the UConn-Rutgers regular season finale next Monday at the XL Center. Its a game that will likely decide the Big East championship.

PostPosted: 02/25/08 4:38 pm    ::: Re: Spence pulled from UCONN/Rutgers game Reply Reply with quote

mandih23 wrote:
http://forum.connpost.com/uconnwomen/
Quote:
In light of the brutal job turned in by officials Bob Trammell, Tina Napier and Bonita Spence in the final seconds of Rutgers 59-58 loss at Tennessee Feb. 11, Spence has been pulled from the UConn-Rutgers regular season finale next Monday at the XL Center. Its a game that will likely decide the Big East championship.

Interesting, particularly since they usually don't announce officials much in advance.

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/25/08 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, very interesting.

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/25/08 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So C. Viv was the woman I saw break dancing on the Turnpike this morning? Laughing
comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 02/25/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may not have lost her job, like she said she would have if that game had been for the national championship, but she sure made sure that someone else did (for this game). LOL Laughing Laughing Atleast we know, or can rest assured, that another .2 seconds won't determine their fate... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed

PostPosted: 02/25/08 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
So C. Viv was the woman I saw break dancing on the Turnpike this morning? Laughing

Oh, there's a mental image I could have happily lived my entire life without.

PostPosted: 02/25/08 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
harlem_basketball wrote:

Oh, there's a mental image I could have happily lived my entire life without.

You mean to tell me that that's worse than what we talked about in the "sign of the apocalypse" thread? Laughing

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 02/25/08 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She should have been fired but hopefully it sends a message to the refs about giving wins away to other teams. Being fired would have sent a much better message, but it's a start. Once the WNBA season starts and she walks onto the court I hope people give her the welcome she deserves Twisted Evil

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
jimmyk

PostPosted: 02/25/08 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LakotaStorm wrote:
She should have been fired but hopefully it sends a message to the refs about giving wins away to other teams. Being fired would have sent a much better message, but it's a start. Once the WNBA season starts and she walks onto the court I hope people give her the welcome she deserves Twisted Evil

If I get to go to a game this year and I find out she's there, I sure as hell will boo her ass every time she calls something, whether it's a good call or not. And if I know ahead of time, I might bring a big sign that says:

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/25/08 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay..both teams like to run..had she been the ref it would have been a whistle fest..

PostPosted: 02/25/08 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting -- on another board it was suggested that Spence wanted to look at the clock issue but was overuled...

still wonder why the SEC won't discuss Precision Timing

PostPosted: 02/25/08 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
interesting -- on another board it was suggested that Spence wanted to look at the clock issue but was overuled...

My theory is actually that Spence is the one who stopped the clock (on accident) but I won't go there..

PostPosted: 02/25/08 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

My theory is actually that Spence is the one who stopped the clock (on accident) but I won't go there..

perhaps... but, if the SEC isn't lying, and the officials aren't lying and the timekeeper isn't lying, then it's a mechanical failure....

of course, Rutgers did say the SEC "misspoke"

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

perhaps... but, if the SEC isn't lying, and the officials aren't lying and the timekeeper isn't lying, then it's a mechanical failure....

of course, Rutgers did say the SEC "misspoke"

It's just suspicious that 1.3 seconds is about the amount of time one would need to accidently stop the clock, and then start it up again.
Why did I pick Spence..because she was the one mentioning the clock..

I'm sorry, a mechanical failure..a coincidence..at that point in time, is almost impossible.

I think they just protected their collective asses.

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:

That was in a blog on the site of The Record, by the regular RU beat reporter.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Another theory is she was likely schduled to do the game. If either Bob Trammell or Tina Napier had been part of the crew, they likely would have been pulled too. I get the feeling it will be a looooooong time before any of the 3 get the call to do a Rutgers game Laughing

PostPosted: 02/26/08 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Another theory is she was likely schduled to do the game. If either Bob Trammell or Tina Napier had been part of the crew, they likely would have been pulled too. I get the feeling it will be a looooooong time before any of the 3 get the call to do a Rutgers game Laughing

that's what i was thinking. that it was pre-scheduled, and the league looked it over and said "let's just avoid any potential questions here and have three completely different refs." I'll bet Bonita doesn't mind, because if she was in a similar position late in the game she'd have to second-guess whether or not to make a call at all. And from what I've read, it's Tina Napier that CVS really would have a fit over ... not Bonita.

~UK~

PostPosted: 02/26/08 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised to see Tina Napier doing the UCONN/LSU game last night. Shocked

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/26/08 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't start high-stepping just yet...Dennis DeMayo is a Philly guy and very tight with Geno and Joe McKeown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: