RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC POY, ROY discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/20/08 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
You also had Jennifer Thomas, the highly rated forward out of Detroit Country Day who did jack sh*t under Syl except for bobble basic post entry passes and sometimes score from the free throw line.

And don't forget her 16 dribbles before she shot the free throws!!!

Didn't Thomas put up big numbers in the WBCA All Star game as a HS senior?

PRballer wrote:
And let us not forget that player from South Carolina who stole the shoes from her teammate. Classy.

She was a tad more recent...Laydrillia Grant.

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/20/08 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing @ Candace Sutton. Rebounds scared her.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/20/08 10:28 am    ::: Re: ACC MVP Reply Reply with quote

BobScoutingReport wrote:
Right now I would vote for Larkins.

She should get all the votes.

On Maryland, Harper plays all the post defense. Langhorne is too busy getting in position for the board.

~rAf
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/29/08 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About ten days since this thread was posted, and nothing's changed. Larkins is still the odds-on favorite to walk away with ACC POY and potentially first-team All-American honors.

Now that the POY race appears to be settled, what about ACC ROY? I know that BC's Murphy has won seven ROY honors, but I've been impressed with her 6-6 teammate, Carolyn Swords. A lot of national media folks like heaping high praise on MSU's Allyssa DeHaan (I have no idea why), but Swords is, IMO, the big girl of the future. Not only can she convert a high percentage of her shots, she's deceptively mobile in the paint and can handle a teensy bit in the open court. I'm also amazed at her body type. She's 6-6, but she's not a string bean like other tall posts tend to be. She is a freshman who has a pro body. I like her alot, and I do think she's a legit lottery prospect for the WNBA. She'd be drafted early in the 2008 WNBA Draft if she were eligible.

Having said all that, I'm endorsing Swords as the ACC ROY. It could be the first time since I can remember that the league hasn't voted a Duke/UNC/Maryland player ROY in back-to-back seasons.

Mathies to LA 2013
gopher5

PostPosted: 02/29/08 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Now that the POY race appears to be settled, what about ACC ROY? I know that BC's Murphy has won seven ROY honors, but I've been impressed with her 6-6 teammate, Carolyn Swords. A lot of national media folks like heaping high praise on MSU's Allyssa DeHaan (I have no idea why), but Swords is, IMO, the big girl of the future. Not only can she convert a high percentage of her shots, she's deceptively mobile in the paint and can handle a teensy bit in the open court.

A little OT but for DeHaan, I think just the fact that she is 6-9 and won ROY in the conference last year helped generate most of the hype. This year she has had some decent games and can be a factor with her shot blocking. Jantel Lavender is the big girl of the future in the Big 10.
I would be surprised if she followed this season with disappinting play like the last two winners of the ROY award (Skouby of Iowa and DeHaan).

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/08 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
About ten days since this thread was posted, and nothing's changed. Larkins is still the odds-on favorite to walk away with ACC POY and potentially first-team All-American honors.

Now that the POY race appears to be settled, what about ACC ROY? I know that BC's Murphy has won seven ROY honors, but I've been impressed with her 6-6 teammate, Carolyn Swords. A lot of national media folks like heaping high praise on MSU's Allyssa DeHaan (I have no idea why), but Swords is, IMO, the big girl of the future. Not only can she convert a high percentage of her shots, she's deceptively mobile in the paint and can handle a teensy bit in the open court. I'm also amazed at her body type. She's 6-6, but she's not a string bean like other tall posts tend to be. She is a freshman who has a pro body. I like her alot, and I do think she's a legit lottery prospect for the WNBA. She'd be drafted early in the 2008 WNBA Draft if she were eligible.

Having said all that, I'm endorsing Swords as the ACC ROY. It could be the first time since I can remember that the league hasn't voted a Duke/UNC/Maryland player ROY in back-to-back seasons.

ACC ROY is between Swords and deGraffenreid. Both are deserving. Swords has elevated her team from predicted finish near the bottom of the conference into the middle. CDG is the reason this year's UNC team is better than last year's. Yes, Larkins is playing out of her mind. But part of Larkins' success is Cetera's ability and desire to get the ball to her, something Ivory never caught onto.

~rAf
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 03/01/08 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so she's the POY because her team is undefeated? When is the last time the POY wasn't in the top 15 in the league in scoring?

Langhorne and Harper both have better numbers than her overall and in conference only games.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/01/08 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
so she's the POY because her team is undefeated?

Uh, yeah. She's the best player on the best team, so she takes home the big prize. Nobody has played better in big ACC games than Larkins.

Joey Nations wrote:
When is the last time the POY wasn't in the top 15 in the league in scoring?

Rolling Eyes Who gives a fugg? Scoring isn't everything when you play for a team like UNC, and it's obvious that she impacts the game in more ways than scoring.

Since you're so fixated on scoring, answer this question. You honestly think Brittany Cook is more valuable to her team (which is dead last in the ACC) than Larkins is to UNC? Is Cook a better POY candidate than Larkins just because her PPG average is higher?

Joey Nations wrote:
Langhorne and Harper both have better numbers than her overall and in conference only games.

UNC didn't need overtime to defeat Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, or Florida State. Why? Because the Heels have the most outstanding player in the ACC.

Oh, and she dominated Langhorne and Harper in Chapel Hell back in January. That has to count for something.

You need to stop looking through those red and black glasses. I'm not a Jumbo Erl fan, but there's no chance that she doesn't walk away with ACC POY honors after the season UNC's having. She is the POY, and it isn't close. Don't like it? Oh well. Not my problem. Try threatening the voters if you'd like to see the results changed. Right now, Larkins is the runaway winner. The POY award was Langhorne's to lose (named preseason ACC POY), and guess what? She lost it!

Mathies to LA 2013
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/08 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, Larkins is the best player and best leader on the best team. And she has dominated ACC play.

As for Maryland, Harper is my favorite player by a long shot. Then Toliver, Langhorne and Coleman. Langhorne is a one trick pony. Her one trick is awful dammm good, but it's still just one trick. Toliver will be a better shooting guard than point guard. She needs the ball in her hands a lot to launch her killer shots and her passing is WAY improved. there is just no way she can win PG of the year with so many TO's.

If Langhorne wants to succeed at the next level, she'll have to play some defense. Just like Augustus, no defense will catch up to her. And no way she gets those O-boards in the WNBA. She'll be cleared out but good by the Centers and Power Forwards.

Harper, OTOH, already plays WNBA level defense PLUS she's got the 10-15 ft jumper that's required for Power Forwards. Langhorne's shooting percentage drops dramatically outside of 5 ft from the bucket.

You think I LIKE naming a Tar Hell player the POY??? But I gots to call it as I sees it.

~rAf
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Toliver will be a better shooting guard than point guard. She needs the ball in her hands a lot to launch her killer shots and her passing is WAY improved. there is just no way she can win PG of the year with so many TO's.

Actually, she can. Didn't Latta have well over 100 turnovers when she won in 2006? Plus, the award has been given to non-PGs before (Taurasi). It's not like Toliver would be setting a precedent by winning.

Keep in mind that winning national awards is 10% production and 90% who knows and likes you.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 03/01/08 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dominated ACC play? Which one of the two is averaging 19.5 and 10.2 in league games?

UNC won in double OT with two of MD's post players on the bench.

Isn't UNC a scoring team?

Larkins will win POY because of the NC media bias.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/02/08 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Dominated ACC play? Which one of the two is averaging 19.5 and 10.2 in league games?

UNC won in double OT with two of MD's post players on the bench.

Isn't UNC a scoring team?

Larkins will win POY because of the NC media bias.

I suspect that if more than one Maryland player is nominated, they'll split the vote, and if only one Maryland player can be nominated (not my conference, I don't know the rules) there will be enough people who would change their vote to some other school because they don't think that particular Terp is worthy. In either case, I think Maryland's out of luck.

Personally, I'm kinda jealous that you guys have an ensemble that plays at that high a level. I'd much rather have that than a team that relies on one player.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: