RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor @ Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memphis10

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:02 pm    ::: Baylor @ Texas Reply Reply with quote

Texas wins 61-51.

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
beknighted

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:09 pm    ::: Re: Baylor @ Texas Reply Reply with quote

memphis10 wrote:
Texas wins 61-51.

Fascinating. Baylor seemed to be cruising and now has lost two of the last three with Oklahoma coming up this weekend.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas played a great game! Props to the Longhorns!

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- i loved Baylor with Emily and Sophia... and then I learned about Baylor's homophobic policies and read some of their fans' less than charming comments about Emily.... and heard the echoes of their comments about UTAustin/Jody.

So, Hook'em Horns!! I hope this sticks in the craw of those meanie greenie bears fans...

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing J. Player was the dagger in the heart for a team with little depth anyway. The chemistry needs knee surgery

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUfan wrote:
Losing J. Player was the dagger in the heart for a team with little depth anyway. The chemistry needs knee surgery

I keep forgetting about that injury. Probably I'm trying to block it out along with the rest of this season's ACLs.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- i loved Baylor with Emily and Sophia... and then I learned about Baylor's homophobic policies and read some of their fans' less than charming comments about Emily.... and heard the echoes of their comments about UTAustin/Jody.

So, Hook'em Horns!! I hope this sticks in the craw of those meanie greenie bears fans...

It's not hard to imagine their policies being a Baptist Texas college. Who is Emily.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
memphis10

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emily Niemann
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2007-02-13-nkosi-cover_x.htm

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
tag3

PostPosted: 02/13/08 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Watching the OU @ Baylor game on tv last year, I saw a Baylor fan holding up a stuffed monkey hanging from a noose. The monkey was wearing a #3 uniform - Courtney Paris' number. According to OU fans who were there, the Baylor fans screamed horrible things at Courtney throughout the game.

I also remember Kimmie resorting to "Hack Courtney, even if she doesn't have the ball" in the final minutes of the '06 Big 12 tourney final.

And I have a very fresh memory of her and her team celebrating on the floor of the Lloyd Noble Center like they'd won the NC after beating OU a few weeks ago. Then, in the post-game press conference, Kimmie said the victory was nothing special.

I don't believe in much. But I do believe that, sometimes, what goes around, comes around.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/14/08 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tag3 wrote:
Watching the OU @ Baylor game on tv last year, I saw a Baylor fan holding up a stuffed monkey hanging from a noose. The monkey was wearing a #3 uniform - Courtney Paris' number. According to OU fans who were there, the Baylor fans screamed horrible things at Courtney throughout the game.

Hmm...so Baylor fans are homophobic AND racist. What a helluva combination. Rolling Eyes

tag3 wrote:
And I have a very fresh memory of her and her team celebrating on the floor of the Lloyd Noble Center like they'd won the NC after beating OU a few weeks ago. Then, in the post-game press conference, Kimmie said the victory was nothing special.

Hopefully your girls will get revenge this weekend, tag3. Smile

tag3 wrote:
I don't believe in much. But I do believe that, sometimes, what goes around, comes around.

True. Baylor lost the one player (Player) it could ill-afford to lose.

Mathies to LA 2013
tag3

PostPosted: 02/14/08 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't mean to imply that I take any joy in Player's injury, or anyone's injury. But I LOVE it that Texas beat Baylor. Love it!

Thanks for the good wishes, bballfan! My fingers are crossed. Come oooon, Sooners!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/14/08 3:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas won and they didn't even have to manipulate the clock!

Actually, they would have beaten Baylor @ Baylor too had not Tisdale made a 3 pointer in the last few seconds of the game when she was mistakenly left wide open on a missed switch (and Player was not hurt at that time.)

It was a brutal game tonight, I don't know what it looked like on TV. I know Mulkey was sulking and not pleased. However, can't really feel sorry for her knowing she'll be getting a 6'8" dunking phenom in a couple of years.

Texas doesn't have the horses to be a Top 15 team, but the horses they do have play as hard as they can with whatever talent they can put forth.

When they have a game where they shoot well from the three, they are dangerous. However, they usually don't have those kind of games very often. Tonight they made more threes than usual.

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 02/14/08 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game!

What's everyone's thoughts on Texas making the tourney this season? What do they have to go in conference. Four wins over top 25 opponents (not sure about RPI) seems pretty good to me. They have a few "bad" losses, but none that are downright terrible.

Oh, and Erika was shooting around helping the team warm up before the game. She was STROKING from three. Granted, she wasn't being pressured, but her shot and release looked great and she went on a VERY nice little string. I'll be glad when she comes back next season.

PostPosted: 02/14/08 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:
Great game!

What's everyone's thoughts on Texas making the tourney this season? What do they have to go in conference. Four wins over top 25 opponents (not sure about RPI) seems pretty good to me. They have a few "bad" losses, but none that are downright terrible.

Oh, and Erika was shooting around helping the team warm up before the game. She was STROKING from three. Granted, she wasn't being pressured, but her shot and release looked great and she went on a VERY nice little string. I'll be glad when she comes back next season.

I think Texas needs to win at least 3 more games in the Big XII to end the conference season at 7-9 or better. Assuming wins over Colorado and Texas Tech, that would be one more win over an RPI top 25 or 50 team. If the Longhorns end up at 6-10 I think the committee might have some trouble with putting them in. Right now I give Texas the edge over Iowa State and Kansas, the other RPI top 50 teams in the Big XII with losing conference records, because Texas has more wins over RPI top 50 teams than the two of them combined, but if Texas ends up behind either of them in the conference standings it may be hard for the committee to reach down that far.

genojunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/08 1:25 pm    ::: Roster Comparison Reply Reply with quote

Who has the more highly regarded recruits? Jody did not make the NCAAs but her recruits were well regarded. Yes, Baylor had some good recruits but two of them left, one of them homesick and the other....... Melissa Jones is highly regarded this year, but Griffin was not. And next year the status of recruits is not even close. All this is to say that Jody did not leave the program totally bare of talent and Kim has coached people who weren't really well regarded coming in to a great team. Yes, Wilson and Jones were but so were Cortijo, Raven and others. It was just a matter of time with the group that Gail has. That being said, she is doing a good job. But they certainly don't exceed the expectations that should be there for Texas. And although the expectations are high at Baylor, that isn't based in a lot of reality from the presumed talent that they are getting.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/14/08 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Texas won and they didn't even have to manipulate the clock!

Actually, they would have beaten Baylor @ Baylor too had not Tisdale made a 3 pointer in the last few seconds of the game when she was mistakenly left wide open on a missed switch (and Player was not hurt at that time.)

It was a brutal game tonight, I don't know what it looked like on TV. I know Mulkey was sulking and not pleased. However, can't really feel sorry for her knowing she'll be getting a 6'8" dunking phenom in a couple of years.

Texas doesn't have the horses to be a Top 15 team, but the horses they do have play as hard as they can with whatever talent they can put forth.

When they have a game where they shoot well from the three, they are dangerous. However, they usually don't have those kind of games very often. Tonight they made more threes than usual.

Texas is coming together though. I was impressed with how they handled Baylor's runs. They may not be a top-25 team in your eyes, but they are finally starting to play smart basketball and sometimes, just hustle plays and defense will get it done against a lot of teams.

They were a bit streaky but I'll be scared of this Texas team in two more years when Gail has had one full year of recruiting. She's been able to do great things with what she's been given. Kudos to Texas. I know they're a bubble team but I'm pulling for them.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/14/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If G gets Bone in '09 (which looks promising and for the sake of this game I hope she does) watch out for Texas.

BBLady

PostPosted: 02/14/08 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:

Coach said the other day in practice she watched Erika hit 45 of 50 three pointers. Of course, no pressure, etc - but Coach said she is the best pure shooter she's ever seen.....

Welcome back Erika (next year, of course).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: