RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC @ Duke
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/04/08 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Typically, it's the winning team that gets all the love..

Highly unlikely that Peck would be saying nice things about Duke if we were in front.

It depends a bit on the commentator..but thats (The winning team) is the general rule.

Peck's just annoying though, in general.

PostPosted: 02/04/08 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another loss at home for Duke; maybe the fans should try something else cause trying that hex's hand shaking stuff isn't working; its back firing.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/04/08 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my favorite moment -- notmarkjones (who was it?) asks about transitioning in to the ACC and what adjustments a coach has to make and Carolyn starts rambling off and suddenly it's a runaway train talking about how you have to recruit and you have opportunities at Duke to do that....

Lordy, if that's what she sounded like in the huddle, no wonder Fla stunk

PostPosted: 02/04/08 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
UNC is playing quite well and Sylvia's outfit is not as ugly as usual.

What is the world coming to. Sylvia's outfit was toned down, I'm lovin Pringle, Larkins isn't bad, I like the 'Lauren Hill' look-a-like PG Degra----- oh you know. It's like I'm starting to really like UNC Shocked

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
my favorite moment -- notmarkjones (who was it?) asks about transitioning in to the ACC and what adjustments a coach has to make and Carolyn starts rambling off and suddenly it's a runaway train talking about how you have to recruit and you have opportunities at Duke to do that....

Lordy, if that's what she sounded like in the huddle, no wonder Fla stunk.

Laughing I was kind of thinkin the same thing. She must have thought he asked a TOTALLY different question. Laughing

Orange][Krush wrote:
Carolyn totally stole my mock draft!

Seriously though, I still feel Larkins is ideal for the Lynx.

While I understand the thought process, this Lynx fan is still not feelin warm & fuzzy w/Larkins at #3. I don't see "perfection" in this selection. Pringle is growing on me more & more. She maybe a feather weight but her length & willingness to challenge on the defesive end is very appealing.

PostPosted: 02/04/08 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some interesting numbers:

Points in the paint-UNC 32, DUKE 38.
Points off turnovers-UNC 24,DUKE 25
Total offensive rebounds: UNC 18, DUKE 22
Turnovers: UNC 20, DUKE 16

Against a team like UNC, which thrives on a frenetic pace and points in the paint from its post players, these look like great numbers. And yet we (Duke) still lost by 17 points. Why?

Points from beyond the arc: UNC 21, DUKE 6
Rebounds by PFs and Cs playing more than five minutes: UNC (Larkins, Breland, Pringle) 21, DUKE (Cheek, Black, Gay, Thomas): 8

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/04/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:

Krush, what's your mock draft? Is Larkins really worth taking at #3 over the Maryland bigs? Just thought of her as undersized at the 4 spot and there are questions about her conditioning to play at the WNBA level consistently well.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/04/08 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

Krush, what's your mock draft? Is Larkins really worth taking at #3 over the Maryland bigs? Just thought of her as undersized at the 4 spot and there are questions about her conditioning to play at the WNBA level consistently well.

Well, in all reality, she only stole my top picks(they show the top 3) but 1 and 2 are pretty easy to pick.

Peck hit the nail on the head though. Larkins is a "banger." She's strong, powerful and does dirty work. Her game is ugly, but she gets it done. The Lynx lack considerable toughness in the post. Mann isn't good in the post, Ohlde is too soft, and Raymond is getting worse and worse(and has had nagging injuries). I know Erlana may be undersized, but I think she will be very good at the next level. All-Star? Probably not. The next Tot Byears? Maybe.

PostPosted: 02/05/08 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Pringle as a 3rd pick? Or maybe trading the 3rd pick for a lower pick and picking Pringle?
bullsky

PostPosted: 02/05/08 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Rebounds by PFs and Cs playing more than five minutes: UNC (Larkins, Breland, Pringle) 21, DUKE (Cheek, Black, Gay, Thomas): 8

This is probably a bad time to bring it up (considering some of UNC's posts- Pringle, Breland, McFarland, McCants -look like they need a sandwich or two) but I think the huge difference with this years Duke team is that are extremely thin in the post. I know that thin doesn't mean weak, but they are struggling in there to score and rebound. Cheek is undersized, Gay and Black are thin as hell, and Krystal Thomas is really their only strong-looking player, but she's a freshman and had an earlier injury(correct?). Duke has lost the grit and power they once had in the post(Bales, Bass) and I think it has hurt them.

And the worst part is that they seem to not be working in favor of their personel. I don't know if it's the coach not realizing it, or the team not executing. But when I see Gay and Black out there, I instantly think of an up-tempo style of the game. To me, they don't run enough.

Oh, and when UNC is winning a shootout from the three point line, you know work needs to be done.

PostPosted: 02/05/08 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
What about Pringle as a 3rd pick? Or maybe trading the 3rd pick for a lower pick and picking Pringle?

Pringle's okay at the #6 pick (tail end of lottery), but the #3 pick is absurd right now. She hasn't even been an All-ACC performer yet.

If she collects a few accolades, then maybe #3 will be justified. Right now, eh...no. Wiggins still has that #3 slot.

Mathies to LA 2013
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 02/05/08 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Some interesting numbers:

Points in the paint-UNC 32, DUKE 38.
Points off turnovers-UNC 24,DUKE 25
Total offensive rebounds: UNC 18, DUKE 22
Turnovers: UNC 20, DUKE 16

Against a team like UNC, which thrives on a frenetic pace and points in the paint from its post players, these look like great numbers. And yet we (Duke) still lost by 17 points. Why?

at the 18 minute mark near the start the 2nd half, 3pt fg's were:
UNC-6-9 DUKE 0-8 Shocked

PostPosted: 02/05/08 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Larkins at #3??? I laughed when Peck projected her for #3. YIKES!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/05/08 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Larkins at #3??? I laughed when Peck projected her for #3. YIKES!

I don't think that Larkins @ #3 is laughable at all.

She probably eats more than Haynie's 4893028098 calories, but at least she'll bring some beef to that Minnesota front line. Ohlde is a better face-up player, and Larkins doesn't mind doing the dirty work of getting boards, taking up space, and banging.

I guess you could go with Wiggins. Having a perimeter of Harding, Wiggins, Augustus with Abrosimova/Quinn coming off the bench sounds awfully good on paper, but I think you need some balance in the frontcourt.

Pringle/Harper are kind of Ohlde-lights. Other than shotblocking, anything they can do, Ohlde will be better at during the upcoming season. They're just very similar to Ohdle.

Langhorne- yea. no.

Humphrey- maybe. But if you're going to ask her to play on the blocks...I think Larkins is just a better fit.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/05/08 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bball, you really think the Lynx will take the best available player at #3 (Wiggins) or a post? My thought was that the Lynx would go after a post they so desperately need and then let Atlanta and Houston battle over Wiggins, followed by Hornbuckle.

Am I putting too much stock in Hornbuckle as a lottery pick?

Also, is Carolina a better TEAM w/o Latta and Little? Granted, last year UNC beat Tennessee and UConn but they seem tougher and DeGrafnananaated is more poised than Latta ever was and understands her job is to feed the post.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/05/08 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
bball, you really think the Lynx will take the best available player at #3 (Wiggins) or a post? My thought was that the Lynx would go after a post they so desperately need and then let Atlanta and Houston battle over Wiggins, followed by Hornbuckle.

The Lynx can get a better post player than Larkins if they're willing to work out a trade or two. Michelle Snow, Chasity Melvin, and Christy Thomas are better WNBA posts than Larkins will be because they're taller and more experienced.

However, the Lynx don't currently have anyone outside of Augustus that would draw interest from other teams. Wiggins, IMO, changes that. Even if she goes on to suck in the WNBA years later, she's a highly-regarded figure in WCBB. You can dangle Wiggins in front of LA (a team with an awful backcourt) and they'll react (though they might not deal with a conference foe).

PRballer wrote:
Am I putting too much stock in Hornbuckle as a lottery pick?

Not at all. She shoots 48% from the field and 48% from three. To me, she's clearly the second-best (if not the best) SG in this draft class. For a two-guard, those are phenomenal stats. She's also the best perimeter defender in the country. Assuming she wins SEC DPOY and NDPOY, then I don't think Hornbuckle in the lottery is a stretch by any means.

PRballer wrote:
Also, is Carolina a better TEAM w/o Latta and Little? Granted, last year UNC beat Tennessee and UConn but they seem tougher and DeGrafnananaated is more poised than Latta ever was and understands her job is to feed the post.

No, they are worse without the two seniors who led them to back-to-back Final Fours. Success is not defined by regular season finishes! Keep in mind that even Latta and Little couldn't lead UNC out of the first round their freshman season, so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that this team is that much better without them. I don't expect to see UNC sniff a FF this year (as an aside, I'm really starting to like what LSU is doing), and they might not even make the Elite 8. DeGraffenreid is a poor man's Latta minus a three-point jumper. Lucas is the more talented player, but schizo play keeps her glued to the bench.

Mathies to LA 2013
PRballer

PostPosted: 02/05/08 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts.

LSU - Van is teaching them how to play intense for 40 minutes and the result is a better offensive team. Chaney could be the third-best 2G for the pros, yup, ahead of the Rutgers kids. I said it.

Are you finally liking Erica White's game?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/05/08 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prballer wrote:
LSU - Van is teaching them how to play intense for 40 minutes and the result is a better offensive team. Chaney could be the third-best 2G for the pros, yup, ahead of the Rutgers kids. I said it.

I'd take Chaney over the Rutgers kids because of her SEC background, but that doesn't mean I'd take her anywhere near that #7 pick (but Chaney to, say, Indiana at #12 might be intriguing). I'm still having recurring nightmares of her 4-20, 3-16 games! Let's see how she performs during the SECT and NCAAT first. Right now, though, she's got some impressive numbers. Assist-to-turnover ratio over 2:1 (OUTSTANDING for an off-guard), 3-point percentage is sitting at a pretty good 37%, and 43% from the field is good for someone who's taken 135 three-pointers (nearly half of her attempted shots on the season are threes).

PRballer wrote:
Are you finally liking Erica White's game?

I'm still neutral with regard to White. She's got a phenomenal assist-to-turnover ratio, but she's always been able to handle the ball. Her decision-making is improving, as she's learning how to dictate tempo better. I still don't like the fact that she's 5-3 and can't shoot threes. Waterbug guards who can't shoot are liabilities on the next level. If she, heaven forbid, injures a knee, she loses her best attribute (speed) and goes from being 5-3 to being about 4-11.

Mathies to LA 2013
spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 02/05/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I don't expect to see UNC sniff a FF this year (as an aside, I'm really starting to like what LSU is doing), and they might not even make the Elite 8. DeGraffenreid is a poor man's Latta minus a three-point jumper. Lucas is the more talented player, but schizo play keeps her glued to the bench.

Have to disagree with you there. You know I hate Hatchell's "coaching," and I can't stand McCants. But:

1. There's no other team(s) out there that's making a case for itself. Stanford has looked inconsistent. Oklahoma made Tisdale look fabulous. Baylor lost Player. Rutgers' style gives teams a chance of winning. etc....

a. UNC has only lost to UConn and TN. The clobbered Duke (which pushed Tennessee a week earlier) and beat a very talented MD squad. In short, they have been the most consistent team outside of TN and UConn. Yes, I know their OOC schedule is a bit bleh...but you can't deny that they've beaten every team they were supposed to....

b. I think they matchup well with other teams if they were the third or fourth one-seed or the strongest two-seed. They could make Oklahoma look downright silly and would wear out Stanford's bigs.

2. Pringle is what Anosike should be in terms of a post sidekick. With all the attention that Larkins gets...Pringle is making teams pay for doubling up on Larkins.

3. They actually have a bench now. Breland might be better than Pringle. Lucas can play. Gray can shoot. It's not just one guard and four forwards on the floor--as it was for the last couple of years.

4. With Duke, they showed a lot of mental toughness. Duke made a game of it and tied it several times in the first half. However, there was always run-stopping basket that UNC would come up with. Yes, it was just one instance...but they looked much better than when they felt UConn nipping at their heels.

Talent alone puts them in the Sweet 16. A date with a 4-5 seed (Georgia/ND/Ohio State/Oklahoma State/Kansas State) between them and an Elite Eight appearance? Book it.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/05/08 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't get anything out of that post except for "UNC's peaking too early--again". With a freshman PG and a system designed to break down come late March, UNC's in bigger trouble this season than in the previous two.

Mathies to LA 2013
kage

PostPosted: 02/05/08 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just worried about Larkins' commitment, I suppose. I mean the donut jokes were flying pretty fast and furious for awhile...

I'm fine with picking Wiggins. Worst that happens, our guard depth improves and best that happens, we can trade for a good post out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: