RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I Hate Candace Parker^2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 02/04/08 12:29 am    ::: I Hate Candace Parker^2 Reply Reply with quote

I'm trying watch LSU vs. Florida, and the announcers can't stop yapping about Candace Parker, and how everything she does is the paragon of how basketball ought to be played-- it's like the game that's on is just something to do until Candace Parker plays again. Tell me again how she's really the best player in wcbb, and there's no media campaign to create her as a marketing icon.

I usually don't make predictions or guarantees, but here's one: If Parker doesn't go to the WNBA and absolutely dominate the league-- I mean convincingly-- after all, once she's in the W, what's there to stop her, right-- in her rookie season-- heck, if she doesn't win a championship in her first three years-- like Taurasi has-- I'm gonna find new ways to define the term "smug."

PostPosted: 02/04/08 1:33 am    ::: Re: I Hate Candace Parker^2 Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Tell me again how she's really the best player in wcbb

She won the Wade Trophy and a NC as a sophomore, and she led Team USA during the 2006 World Championships. Now, would you kindly STFU and get over this sick anti-Parker obsession? Rolling Eyes Not everyone has to like her (I'm fairly neutral about her these days), but damn...give her a little respect.

Mathies to LA 2013
flojojr2007

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:18 am    ::: Re: I Hate Candace Parker^2 Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
bballjunkee212 wrote:
Tell me again how she's really the best player in wcbb

She won the Wade Trophy and a NC as a sophomore, and she led Team USA during the 2006 World Championships. Now, would you kindly STFU and get over this sick anti-Parker obsession? Rolling Eyes Not everyone has to like her (I'm fairly neutral about her these days), but damn...give her a little respect.

Amen!!!
The hype around her is definitely well-deserved. It seems like you don't like her because of the media not due to something she said/did.

As far as the Taurasi thing, I wasn't a big fan of hers when she played in college but that was because I loved the Blue Devils @ the time & she just happened to be playing for UConn. Laughing I always respected her skills tho.
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:44 am    ::: Re: I Hate Candace Parker^2 Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
heck, if she doesn't win a championship in her first three years-- like Taurasi has-- I'm gonna find new ways to define the term "smug."

The Mercury's title came in Taurasi's fourth WNBA season...

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/04/08 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Normally I'd say get over it but I can understand the annoyance when you're watching a game that the player isn't even playing in, and we all know the double standard that exists, given that this complaint would be (and has been) cosigned if it were Lisa Leslie instead of Candace being irrelevantly discussed. After all, what was the biggest complaint about Ann Meyers behind the mic, besides her penchant for pulling nonsense out of her ass?

However, Candace is not the first, nor is she the last to be named the media annointed savior of women's basketball. Therefore, I'm back to my original feeling - get over it. We've all been watching long enough to know and accept the drill. Even if the game reaches the highest of heights, there will still be players that are projected to be the end all be all of the game - ask LeBron, Chamique and Diana. Tomorrow it'll be Brittney Griner and Lance Stephenson.
thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 02/04/08 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dude, you hate Candace Parker. We get it Rolling Eyes

I'm not her biggest fan that ever lived or anything, but she IS talented and she IS an extraordinary player and most folks are anxious to see just what she's going to do on the next level. You don't have to like her, but my goodness stop acting like this is exclusive to Candace. IT'S ALL MEDIA HYPE. It's not like we haven't been through this before. Holdsclaw, Taurasi, now Parker...I mean really. It's not her fault that the media rambles on and on about her during non Parker...er...Tennessee games. Maybe you should divert your hate to the real culprits and give CP a break. Damn. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I guess harlem and I were typing the same time Laughing

- Diana Taurasi
myt

PostPosted: 02/04/08 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I will just put my dollar in the collection plate and pass it on... Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/04/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. Let's analyze the last 10 years of college seniors going to the W...

Chamique Holdsclaw was supposed to be the savior of the league nine years ago. That SO didn't happen.

The entire Class of 2002 was supposed to be the savior of the league. Nah.

Diana Taurasi was supposed to be the savior of the league. Not so much.

Now they're saying it's Candace Parker. I'm guessing it won't be her either. It won't be one player or a set of players that move the W to a place where more people pay attention on a regular basis. What it is, I don't know, but that ain't it.

As for the broadcasters of that particular game, I really wish people would stick with calling the game they're looking at as opposed to talking about everyone else in the country. Stick to what your eyes are on, people.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

Chamique Holdsclaw was supposed to be the savior of the league nine years ago. That SO didn't happen.

Now they're saying it's Candace Parker. I'm guessing it won't be her either. It won't be one player or a set of players that move the W to a place where more people pay attention on a regular basis. What it is, I don't know, but that ain't it.

As for the broadcasters of that particular game, I really wish people would stick with calling the game they're looking at as opposed to talking about everyone else in the country. Stick to what your eyes are on, people.

Exactly...

The overall improved play for the league is going to do more than any individual player. Perhaps a rivalry created with Parker and Taurasi (Most popular players, Tenn vs. Uconn, and West Coast rivals...more than likely) would bring some media attention..but I'd say last year's championship game probably did more than Parker will. No one individual will save the league.

As for Parker. I don't like her, I've said it before. I don't think she's "the best ever" either, or at least she hasn't proven it yet. That doesn't make her bad, or it doesn't mean other people can't like her (I'm pretty sure Tenn fans do) And I don't HATE her..I mean, you really shouldn't hate anyone you've never met..except of course GW..

PostPosted: 02/04/08 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

Exactly. It's just hype. Candace isn't the first one to receive it, and she won't be the last. She is not going to singlehandedly raise the WNBA's interest level among casual sports fans. That's just not going to happen. She just gives commentators something to talk about during games, that's all. The WNBA will always be an afterthought in the minds of many, and there's nothing that Parker can do that will change that perception. But it doesn't mean that people can't discuss her--even during games in which she isn't the participant. I don't seem to recall people freaking out whenever Latta was being discussed during broadcasts in which she did not participate. Talk about hypocrisy.

jimmyk wrote:

I agree, and Debbie Antonelli (the color commentator for the LSU/Florida game yesterday) is probably the worst color commentator when it comes to dwelling too much on outside material. It doesn't matter who's she paired up with, either (the SEC guy--Neal?, Mike Hogewood, or Beth Mowins). She just can't help herself. Still, she's nowhere near as bad as friggin' Nancy Lieberman or Ann Meyers Drysdale Leslie Lockwood.

Mathies to LA 2013
myt

PostPosted: 02/04/08 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"...Still, she's nowhere near as bad as friggin' Nancy Lieberman or Ann Meyers Drysdale Leslie Lockwood..."

Please add Doris Burke to that infamous list!!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/04/08 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
"...Still, she's nowhere near as bad as friggin' Nancy Lieberman or Ann Meyers Drysdale Leslie Lockwood..."

Please add Doris Burke to that infamous list!!! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ditto that...Doris could manage to work UConn in if she were covering the Presidential debates... Shocked

Grumps

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/04/08 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dunks. I can say the only thing that will get talked about in terms of Candace's game on the next level will be her ability to play above the rim. It will earn her highlight time on Sportscenter, especially if she's able to throw them down a few times in her rookie season.

Over time, however, it will become less of a deal.

It's hype, but it will generate SOME press. And her initial campaign will be of interest, especially if we get a great Western conference rivalry going with Phoenix and LA contends for the championship.

Exquisite

PostPosted: 02/04/08 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think ONE particular person should be put under the pressure of "saving" the WNBA.It has to be a collective effort.There are plenty of great players already causing people to watch the game.

chienboo

PostPosted: 02/05/08 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of dunks, I just watched a video of Maya Moore and Tina Charles having a dunking contest after a UConn practice. Geno was asking if f the basket had been lowered. Don't be sueprised if Maya moore becomes the new media darling. They'r already comparing her to Tameka Catchings.

kage

PostPosted: 02/05/08 4:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link?
chienboo

PostPosted: 02/06/08 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women

kage

PostPosted: 02/07/08 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. That's awesome! I hope they do it in a game sometime. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: