RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe McKeown in the WaPo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 02/02/08 10:18 am    ::: Joe McKeown in the WaPo Reply Reply with quote

There's a nice article in the Washington Post this morning on Joe McKeown as he approaches 500 career victories. As the article says, he doesn't get the top recruits, but gets to the tournament nearly every year and often does better than the pundits expect, including last year's Sweet 16 run.

The Post really has picked up its coverage of local WCBB. Of course, it helps that there are two ranked teams in the area, one with national championship hopes, but regardless of the reason, it's great to see.

McKeown

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 02/02/08 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article. Thanks for posting, BeK. I only get the Sunday post, so I might have missed this. Though I did know Coach McKeown was going for 500 wins tonight at Duquesne. Wish that was a home game, but oh well.

Two quotes I really liked from the article:
Quote:
"I think he's the most underrated coach in the country because of what he's accomplished," said Texas A&M Coach Gary Blair, McKeown's good friend. "He does more with less than most other programs. He's not doing it with Parade all-Americans that end up in the ACC or Connecticut or whatever. He takes that next level kid and coaches them up."

Gary Blair makes a good point; I don't know if we've ever had high school All-Americans at GW. Maybe a small handful. Tajama Abraham was GW's best player, but even she was under the radar coming out of high school because she was from the Virgin Islands. And some of GW's other great players were foreigners, like Elisa Aguilar, Noelia Gomez and Anna Montanana, who were all from Spain. Anyway, it be interesting to see what McKeown would be able to do if he could snag a roster of high school All-Americans, but I doubt I'll ever see that at GW.

Quote:
"I'd trade all those wins if we could figure out a cure for [autism], in a heartbeat."

Amen, Joe. Amen.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 02/03/08 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

George Washington 73 Duquesne 65

Coach McKeown gets No. 500. Congratulations to him and GW!

The AP had a preview story similar to the Post's but with different nice touches that ran in my local paper. I found it online here:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_basketball/20080201-1650-bkw-t25-gw-mckeowns500th.html

(Can someone please help me--where the heck are the instructions for creating a neat link? I need a refresher course!)

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
(Can someone please help me--where the heck are the instructions for creating a neat link? I need a refresher course!)

What I do is click on the URL button, then type an equals sign just to the left of the bracket, insert the URL there, then type the name for the link just to the right of the bracket, then hit the URL button again. It ends up looking like this, except with regular brackets instead of the curly ones I used here:

{url=http://www.thisisthelink.net}click here{/url}

dukemayo

PostPosted: 02/03/08 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks much, beknighted. I really appreciate it.

Toliver...Holy Cow!

PostPosted: 02/04/08 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GW hired Mike Bozeman as an assistant in an effort to upgrade the talent. He got Antelia Parrish in via the JUCO route and now he has Yolanda Lavendar transferring in from Wake Forest. Bozeman is a terrific guy who is very well-connected in the community.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/04/08 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think getting Lavender is a good thing, but that's just me. Wake is no worse off now than they were with her last season, and they even upset a then Top 10 team (Texas A&M) while she was serving a suspension.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: